Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vets for African Pygmy Hedgehog?

• 12-01-2015 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Please, Does anyone out there know of a vet in ireland for Pet hedgehogs?
    Mine is old (5 years) and is extremely light, no longer able to eat her food.
    My ordinary vet has no knowledge of hedgehogs, and there is no distance I wouldnt travel for her.
    Please, if I can help her I will, does anyone know?
    I heard of a vet in Dublin, but I am so unsure, and google isnt providing any help at the moment.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

AFAIK, Bairbre O'Malley is the woman to go to for unusual/less common pets. She's based in Bray, Co. Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

John bainbridge based in rathgar is a really good exotics vet, I use him a lot for my reptiles and once for a parrot. He's a great vet with good knowledge into exotic pets.
    You can find him through Google, or Argle and Bainbridge in stillorgan and in dundrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

John bainbridge based in rathgar is a really good exotics vet, I use him a lot for my reptiles and once for a parrot. He's a great vet with good knowledge into exotic pets.
    You can find him through Google, or Argle and Bainbridge in stillorgan and in dundrum

He was a vet for Dublin Zoo so should be able to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

you could call the HEDGEHOG HOSPITAL IRELAND, to ask for some advise

https://www.facebook.com/hedgehogrescuedublin

theres also THE HOGSPRICKLE (on facebook also) that might be able to point you in the right direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭yugimon121

Thank you everybody for the responses!
    I contacted Bairbre who suggested I call the vet for Fota, who is located closer.
    I am glad to report the good news that the lump on her face is not a tumor, after being inspected after she was sedated.
    She is currently on antibiotics for a possible URI and a liquid diet until she is better. If things get worst, I will bring her back or up to Wicklow/Dublin if need be.
    Thanks everyone again!

Photo-0064.jpg

• Advertisement

I think hedgehogs are just the cutest little creatures.
    OP, what kind of a pet do they make?
    Since yours is 5 years old, have you had it that long? What is their life expectancy?
    Is she very 'tame' - does she live in a cage - what does she eat?
    We have wild ones where I live, and have rescued the odd one from cattle grids/dogs etc. but have never known anyone with a pet hedgehog

aonb wrote: »
    I think hedgehogs are just the cutest little creatures.
    OP, what kind of a pet do they make?
    Since yours is 5 years old, have you had it that long? What is their life expectancy?
    Is she very 'tame' - does she live in a cage - what does she eat?
    We have wild ones where I live, and have rescued the odd one from cattle grids/dogs etc. but have never known anyone with a pet hedgehog

They are so cute :D I had her since she was one month old (Bought her from Wicklow, live in cork) This is the depressing part however and most worrying for me, they live to be approximately 3-5 years. While some live to be up to 10 years, the number is not high. Hoping Pickles breaks the record though!
    She is very tame, she can be held my literally anyone without being spiked, but she used to be shy. Except for me, she loved being with me. They are very tame and loving creatures, providing you bond with them.
    She is kept in a large rabbit cage, mine is 140cmx60cm. I have her an igloo where she sleeps, a large 12" wheel to run on, her bowl of water and bowl of food. She eats Cat food (Royal Canin) and insects, like mealworms.

There is an almost underground society of hedgehog owners, it is actually surprising how many are kept as pets in Ireland.

sounds lovely!
    Any more photos to make us all green with envy?!

They are old photos, but Yes i do. As soon as i hook the camera up Ill put some more recent photos up
    Photo-0060.jpg
    Photo-0077.jpg
    Photo-00822.jpg
    Photo-0083.jpg
    Photo-00796.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just a friendly tip op. Its a good idea with small animals to get a digital weighing scales and weigh them once a week and note down the results in a journal, if they drop any significant amount of weight week to week you can be fairly sure there is something up.

• Advertisement

And of those werent enough, heres more!
    PPP.jpg
    POO.jpg
    PPPPPPPP.jpg
    PICKS2.jpg
    ppp2.jpg.html

Outkast: thank you, I will invest in one ASAP!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Glad to hear Pickles is on the mend! I go to Bairbre with mine, but the UCD vet hospital are also great if you're gonna be in Dublin anyway. Since you're in Cork, you could contact Leslie Burban (Leslieshedgies.com) who is a breeder in Cork to find out where she goes.

They're also live typically 4-7 years in Ireland. The expectancy is much lower in the States (3-5) where they tend to keep them in smaller enclosures.

do the African Pygmies have more pointed snouts & more prominent ears than their Irish relatives??
    Being a Pygmy, how much smaller would Pickles be than a 'regular' Irish hog?
    Lovely pics - enjoyed my cup of coffee all the more admiring Pickles!

aonb wrote: »
    do the African Pygmies have more pointed snouts & more prominent ears than their Irish relatives??
    Being a Pygmy, how much smaller would Pickles be than a 'regular' Irish hog?
    Lovely pics - enjoyed my cup of coffee all the more admiring Pickles!

While I would say yes, unlike their Irish relatives, African pygmys don't have much fur, so it would create the impression that they do have longer snouts and ears.
    My African Pygmy is approximately one third or 2 thirds the size of an Irish Hog. Not entirely sure since it's been over a year since I held one, but they are significantly smaller.

Advertisement