Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Portfolio

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,
    So I'm beginning to put together my portfolio for visual communications. I have a range of work varying from sketchs showing my thought process, observational drawings, and graphic pieces. However I have a question about the presentation of the portfolio.

My plan was to stick my work for each piece (the finished piece and the sketchs leading up to it) on one large A2 sheet and put notes beside some works stating how I got the idea and what's going on in the image.

I was wondering if this method of presentation is acceptable or if I should just put all my drawings in a pile and put them in the portfolio.

Any help or tips would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

I did a portfolio for architecture myself and in my opinion the notes thing is a bit pointless in my opinion IF you're doing an interview like I did. If Visual Com only requires you to send in the portfolio, which I believe it does, then yes it's an excellent addition.
    Words of advice;
    - Show them you're diversity. If your portfolio is just 20 sketches of cats, they're gonna have reason to believe you can only draw cats! So show them you can draw everything!
    - Don't just show finished pieces, throw a sketchbook in there that you use often, they'll love that in my opinion!
    - Put you're best, most striking piece of work first. That initial impact will be good and draw them in.

Hope that helped and any more advice I'm here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jakeskelly54

Yeah I made sure that my work was varied in medium and topic. My problem is I have notebooks full or drawings but there all just cartoons, cause that's just what I draw in my time, None of the work in my porfolio is that though I knew not to put it in but now what i need to do is sketch's showing my thought process for the finished pieces I have cause i never draw my ideas I just go for it :P So once i have the small drawings and sketch's of my idea im going to put them all on an A2 sheet, so it'll be like an A2 sheet full of doodles and quick sketchs planning my idea then an A2 sheet with the finished and then again and again.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

No dude show them the cartoons! They'll see your ability with your finished pieces, so why not show them you can draw cartoons? (I was the same, but I brought my cartoons and they didn't say 'oh no why did you put that in?' it shows variation!)
    And as for the thought process, I can understand why you want to show it, but maybe just for one or two, not every one. If it's not how you work though I'd argue it's making work for your self that isn't needed.
    Overall, show them you have potential. That's all. You're selling your potential to them. By the sounds of it you know exactly how to do that, so go for it man!

No problem, happy to help :P

Advertisement