Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The misconception about college.

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Many people view college as a necessity, that everyone should go to college or else they'll end up on the dole for life..
    I don't believe that's entirely true.
    Sure if you set out to not work you'll end up on welfare,
    But looking from an entrepreneurs perspective.
    If you strive to succeed you will be successful, I'm by no means suggestin you simply don't go to college for the sake of it.
    If a course interests you by all means do it but don't do a course for the sake of a degree.

On the other hand simply not going to college can leave you empty handed unless you have some natural ability/skill
    Be it being able to code or being a skilled plumber/barber/electrician.
    You need some ability.

What I'm basically saying is I don't believe college is always the best option and that just because you are smart that does not mean you have to go to college.
    What's your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As somebody both working in education and studying education, I would actually agree. Everybody has a skill and everybody is good at something. The trick is to find that something.

However, for the vast majority of people, having a degree is the difference between having a better chance at doing well and a life on the dole. Not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur.

Advertisement