Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Damien Dempsey?

Options
  • 12-01-2015 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I personally think he's one of the best songwriter/singer this country has produced and I love the fact that he's one of the few people who actually sounds like he's from Dublin when he's singing and he isn't trying to sound like a yank.
    So what's your opinion on Damien Dempsey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I actually think he overdoes the Dub-a-lin accent on some of his songs. Depends on what he's singing really. Heard him do Rocky Road to Dublin in a really over the top, almost skangerish accent there recently. I know that song is often sang in a Dub brogue but your man is meant to be from Tuam for feck's sake. Overall though, I do like him. Good songwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,912 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He has taken a dip from the early stuff, much preffered that. He should do a covers album covering about 20 Irish Ballads from various artists.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Wouldn't be a huge fan but a Lot of the hate slung at him is just down to snobbery.Wonder does Alex Turner get the same grief in England for singing in his own accent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I bought his debut single, great song, completely different from what he does now.

Wouldn't buy the now stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Loved his early stuff but now...meh couldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Can't stand Damien Dempsey. I don't care if he's Irish, he's the kind of singer-songwriter that I can't bear to listen to. Give me someone like Bonnie 'Prince' Billy or John Martyn anytime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I like him. He is really energetic live, a fine looking man and a decent human being who has been through hell and back while pouring this into his music evocatively. Heroic stories in the news which he is shy of do exist and he may have an accent but he can actually sing and is a competent musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

He has taken a dip from the early stuff, much preffered that. He should do a covers album covering about 20 Irish Ballads from various artists.

He covered 11 Irish ballads in an album called The Rocky Road back in 2008. His Rainy Night in Soho version is the best I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I bought his debut single, great song, completely different from what he does now.

Wouldn't buy the now stuff.

I think it's a good sign that he evolved as a songwriter. Too many artists out there are afraid of experimenting and never change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I think it's a good sign that he evolved as a songwriter. Too many artists out there are afraid of experimenting and never change.

He was experimenting at the start, now reverted to a folk singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Wouldn't be a huge fan but a Lot of the hate slung at him is just down to snobbery.Wonder does Alex Turner get the same grief in England for singing in his own accent?

Alex Turner hasn't sung in his own accent in years (3 albums since then).

DD I think overdoes it the other way, he's accentuating his Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mart1977

A modern Luke kelly

Frank simple honest lyrics

A national treasure

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just to resurrect this thread, I saw him live last night in a small donegal venue.

Wasn't a fan of him, had heard some of his stuff on the radio, never wished to ever buy any of it, but went along anyway with OH.

Had a great night, he is a fantastic musician and not a bad singer. Great rapport with the crowd, great sense of humour. Some incredibly powerful songs, he is certainly a top song writer.

He's converted me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

I'd like to see him do something new - its a bit luke kelly.ronnie drew-ish - need to find his own voice and develop on the tradition

Advertisement