Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA Gossamer crankset

• 12-01-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I went to my LBS to order a Cube Agree GTC SL which has a full ultegra group set. They can get it for me but suggested I buy a Look 566 instead as it has a better frame. The issue I have is the FSA Gossamer crankset, I have read quite a few negative comments about it. Has anyone had problem with the FSA crankset? I could switch to an ultegra crankset but it will cost more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

DS2013 wrote: »
    The issue I have is the FSA Gossamer crankset, I have read quite a few negative comments about it. Has anyone had problem with the FSA crankset? I could switch to an ultegra crankset but it will cost more.
    I have been cranking the Gossamer for over 50k km now (I have had two of them actually - a 170mm and now the 165mm on the bike), never had a problem with it and I would highly recommend the crank. What negative comments did you hear about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

Seweryn wrote: »
    What negative comments did you hear about it?

It's ugly!:)

Have one on my first road bike for over 4 years 20k km+ on it with original chain rings it works fine. Front shifting would not be quite as crisp as the 105 or Sram Force22 cranks I have on other bikes thats down to the chainrings mostly. I'll probably try praxis ones when I need to replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

There was some issues with the left crank coming loose. I had a powermeter on a gossamer crank and it happened a couple of times. I returned it to SRM and I got a rotor crank instead. They recommend glueing the cap with loctite (blue) to prevent loosing the cap and the crank loosening. I believe that fsa brought out a new type of gossamer crank in the last few months that has fixed this left crank issue.
    I have a gossamer crank on my TT bike and it has never given me any problems

Ryath wrote: »
    It's ugly!:).
    Every crankset is ugly if compared to a nice one ;).
    Have one on my first road bike for over 4 years 20km+ on it with original chain rings it works fine. Front shifting would not be quite as crisp as the 105 or Sram Force22 cranks I have on other bikes thats down to the chainrings mostly. I'll probably try praxis ones when I need to replace them.
    Never had problems with shifting, however the chainrings are made from not very durable alloy, but that is a consumable item and I would install something better next time.
    There was some issues with the left crank coming loose. I had a powermeter on a gossamer crank and it happened a couple of times. I returned it to SRM and I got a rotor crank instead. They recommend glueing the cap with loctite (blue) to prevent loosing the cap and the crank loosening. I believe that fsa brought out a new type of gossamer crank in the last few months that has fixed this left crank issue.
    I have a gossamer crank on my TT bike and it has never given me any problems
    The recall was announced long time ago and does not exist anymore. Here are the details and the crank serial numbers affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DS2013

I heard about the left crank coming loose and about the teeth breaking. Wondering that is just isolated incidents.

• Advertisement

DS2013 wrote: »
    I heard about the left crank coming loose and about the teeth breaking. Wondering that is just isolated incidents.
    See my post above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It's ugly!:)

Have one on my first road bike for over 4 years 20km+ on it with original chain rings it works fine. Front shifting would not be quite as crisp as the 105 or Sram Force22 cranks I have on other bikes thats down to the chainrings mostly. I'll probably try praxis ones when I need to replace them.

going slightly off topic, i had a fa gossamer pro and went to a rotor 3d with praxxis chainrings. the difference is not small. not that i found anything too wrong with the FSA(although several reviews of my bike criticised it), but the new combo is just so much crisper

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MarkG1975

I had gossamer crankset for a few thousand kms and it worked fine, I upgraded to ultegra and the difference in quality was big, stiffer and lighter, worth the upgrade imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

DS2013, i bought the Cube Agree Race 2014 model and i upgraded to the Ultegra Crankset to replace the FSA Gossamer. As has been said it is worth the upgrade, in my opinion. It is stiffer and lighter and it is much more aesthetically pleasing on the eye.

Advertisement