Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldschool heavy metal

• 12-01-2015 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

I'm more a fan of newer bands in general, or more modern metal, but the other half is big into her oldschool classic stuff. A lot of the stuff she introduced me to wouldn't really be my thing, but I seriously took a liking to Manilla Road :D

It's just so gloriously kitsch, the vocals are a bit odd at first, but really fun stuff :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Love that album! I'll never forget being at the metal market at Graspop years ago asking did he have this album on LP and being ushered to the "secret room" where all the rare records were. Cost me about €40 too.

For similar odd but great fun old heavy metal there is no one better than Brocas Helm. They're completely ridiculous and over the top musically, vocally and lyrically. It's great.

"Hand me a sword and I'll go insane! Defend the crooooowwwwn."

Another great one is Heavy Load. And this song Saturday Night is probably the ultimate party song (that riff...). Phil Lynott played on a song or two of theirs too.

Ok, one more. Cloven Hoof. Straight up, 80s heavy metal from England. Not much to be said about them other than A Sultan's Ransom is one of the finest NWOBHM records ever released and it's a shame they never got the recognition for it.

I really could shite on all day about old heavy metal bands. There are so many bands out there that never made it big but released albums every bit as good as the bands who did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Brocas Helm, Heavy Load, those are definitely my girlfriend's sorta stuff! She also introduced me to Slough Feg, who are very similar to the likes of Manilla Road and Brocas Helm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Well in that case I hope she knows that the singer from Brocas Helm had a guest appearance on the second last Slough Feg album! It's the greatest Brocas Helm song that Brocas Helm never wrote. Makes me sad they're not releasing albums any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

This would fit in well here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Never listened to Scorpions before, but I can hear some influence on Blind Guardian there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm more a fan of newer bands in general, or more modern metal, but the other half is big into her oldschool classic stuff. A lot of the stuff she introduced me to wouldn't really be my thing, but I seriously took a liking to Manilla Road :D

It's just so gloriously kitsch, the vocals are a bit odd at first, but really fun stuff :D

Singer sounds like a cross between Dio and Bon Scott, good riff too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Singer sounds like a cross between Dio and Bon Scott, good riff too

More like David St. Hubbins to me.
    How about some Riot? Thundersteel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I love Accept, New stuff is pretty on the ball if you are into that kinda stuff

Advertisement