Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing quinoa

• 12-01-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

My new recipe for next weekend is this one but I'm a little concerned about the inclusion of quinoa in there.

I've never had it before - I've tried couscous and brown rice in the past, but always return to fluffy white rice - so I can imagine if I don't like it, the whole dish will end up in the bin. I'd prefer to make the quinoa separately and serve them together, but from the looks of the recipe, the quinoa soaks up most of the liquid (1 litre of stock!) so without it, I'd get a very watery concoction.

Equally, I don't know how or if quinoa freezes (or more importantly, reheats nicely in a microwave).

I think I'm better off just popping normal rice in, but have no idea if 200g of rice = 200g of quinoa. It doesn't sound like very much for a meal for 4?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

corblimey wrote: »
    My new recipe for next weekend is this one but I'm a little concerned about the inclusion of quinoa in there.

I've never had it before - I've tried couscous and brown rice in the past, but always return to fluffy white rice - so I can imagine if I don't like it, the whole dish will end up in the bin. I'd prefer to make the quinoa separately and serve them together, but from the looks of the recipe, the quinoa soaks up most of the liquid (1 litre of stock!) so without it, I'd get a very watery concoction.

Equally, I don't know how or if quinoa freezes (or more importantly, reheats nicely in a microwave).

I think I'm better off just popping normal rice in, but have no idea if 200g of rice = 200g of quinoa. It doesn't sound like very much for a meal for 4?

Any advice?

I tried quinoa recently and was worried it wouldn't be very substantial on its own. I cooked it in with brown rice as they have similar cooking times. It was grand, but nothing special I thought. You didn't really notice it in with the rice. I must give it a go on its own, though I'd say you would definitely need something spicy to go with it as in your recipe as it seems bland .

Advertisement