Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corner Windows cost new build

Options
  • 12-01-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Are corner windows significantly more expensive to have than the more traditional method of building blocks in the corner and placing the window in the walls?

Corner windows definitely look appealing in living/dining areas and are appearing on a lot of recent new builds, I understand they are capable of achieving low U values, but with the extra steel/glass/labor are they twice or three times the cost of a standard window? I haven't rang the window companies yet...just wanted to get a feel for peoples experiences first.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

The cost isn't in the window it's in the lintel and post that supports it. Have a look at steelite or keylite for their corner lintels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

hexosan wrote: »
    The cost isn't in the window it's in the lintel and post that supports it. Have a look at steelite or keylite for their corner lintels

or get an engineer to have a look as you may need a steel design depending on what your holding up.

kkelliher wrote: »
    or get an engineer to have a look as you may need a steel design depending on what your holding up.

Both the above have their own engineers who specifically design the lintel to take the loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

hexosan wrote: »
    Both the above have their own engineers who specifically design the lintel to take the loading.

correct, but you will quickly find the cost of them well in excess of that of structural steel once the loading become high hence always best to get your engineer to do the calculations as apposed to a company selling a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...we see an awful of lot of corner windows these days and yes, between superstructure design and build (maybe steels etc), plus the windows itself, and then suitable detailing of rainscreen then yes, there is an 'extra' cost associated with corner windows that you don't have with..........non-corner windows !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Are corner windows significantly more expensive to have than the more traditional method of building blocks in the corner and placing the window in the walls?

Corner windows definitely look appealing in living/dining areas and are appearing on a lot of recent new builds, I understand they are capable of achieving low U values, but with the extra steel/glass/labor are they twice or three times the cost of a standard window? I haven't rang the window companies yet...just wanted to get a feel for peoples experiences first.

Thanks.

Post a picture of the view from the 'corner window' room. Before you knock your architects design on cost grounds, consider why a corner window was chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

BryanF wrote: »
    Post a picture of the view from the 'corner window' room. Before you knock your architects design on cost grounds, consider why a corner window was chosen

The main reason with going for a corner window is to make max use of solar gain. There is also the fact that they look nice and are good for views of the outside.
    A builder confirmed (similar to the comment above) that Steelite come and fit the lintels and steel.

The question I had originally asked was the difference in cost..is it twice as costle on average. As I need to decide if we can get the same views/solar gain with windows.

The cost is in the lintel and what it's supporting above it. With out known that you can't say how expensive it's going to cost. Try ringing Steelite or keylite for an approx cost from your plans.

Advertisement