Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand trip July/Aug 2015

• 12-01-2015 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm planning a trip to Thailand next July/Aug with the possibility of taking in Kuala Lumpur/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam.
    I have no set root or countries , but I do want to visit Thailand for 10 days or so . My travel period is 3.5 weeks , possibly pushing it out to four.

I'm looking for advise and past experiences on flights/destinations best routes etc ... I have done some reading on it and possible routes that I may take .

I know half the country has been to this side of the world so I'm looking for all yer help and experience here !!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Gally05 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm planning a trip to Thailand next July/Aug with the possibility of taking in Kuala Lumpur/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam.
    I have no set root or countries , but I do want to visit Thailand for 10 days or so . My travel period is 3.5 weeks , possibly pushing it out to four.

I'm looking for advise and past experiences on flights/destinations best routes etc ... I have done some reading on it and possible routes that I may take .

I know half the country has been to this side of the world so I'm looking for all yer help and experience here !!!

Thanks in advance

I was in Thailand in Feb of last year.. I was in Bangkok, Koh Samui and Koh Phangan for the full moon party... that's only a small part of it, I'm hoping to head back out there in August myself to see the rest of the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

First thing is reduce what you want to see, We spent 3.5 weeks in Vietnam and only got a small taste....if you really want to see a second country then pick one (maybe Cambodia as its not large) and take your time...no point being in a place if your just zooming though it and not experiencing anything. You certainly should visit Chang Mai and one of the beaches but otherwise it depends on your particular interests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

Flight to bkk which is about 550 and u can fly to Vietnam for about €30 from there..
    Go thru Vietnam and Cambodia by road breaking up travel along the way as this is beautiful and cheap as well.

Try AirAsia for flights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

Try AirAsia for flights!!

with their track record at the minute ??!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rigamincedeal

Being honest I think your trying to fit to much into your trip in that time frame and as suggested go it probably two of those countries, with the time frame you have id suggest doing Cambodia Thailand and maybe Kula Lumpar for a couple of days, I'd suggest fly into KL spend a couple days there, get an Air Asia flight from KL to Phuket, staying then in Phuket Phi Phi islands and Krabi for a bit, after that head east to Koh Samui you can fly or get a bus/ferry, then from Samui do Koh Phanagan and Ko Tao trying to take in a full moon party if you into that, after that I would the go back to Samui by ferry which is the only way from phanagan and Koh Tao and get a flight from Samui to Phnom Penn , Cambodia then onto Siem Riep for Ankgor Watt and then finish up then in Bangkok for a few days and fly back home. You should bare in mind that you try to work your trip around were your going to fly home from so you won't be doubling back on yourself. You'll more that likely fly to either Bangkok first or KL so use them as either your starting or finishing points. You'll see and do plenty in that time frame and it won't be rushed, any more than that you won't get to take much in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

its not set in stone as to the actually places I want to see , this is just the general part of the world I want to see and visit!

Looking at the dates and price of flights etc im going to be flying into Kuala Lumpur and take a flight from there to possibly Cambodia (fly home from Bangkok !) , but this is all in the early stages at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rigamincedeal

Your best bet is to have a look at flights and see what your offered and what stopovers you have so that you can maximise your time in each place and limit the amount of 'internal flights' and not to double back on yourself if possible. If your doing Thailand your best doing that first doing west to east on southern part of the country then onto Cambodia from there and back into Thailand into BKK up further north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi, with such a short time of 3:5/4 weeks you'd be rushing to get all the places in and see really nothing of the countries.
    If i was you id fly into singapore(great for low price flights) spend a one or two days here to acclamitize, get train to kL make your way up the east coast of Malaysia into Thailand Island hop your way up to Bangkok and fly back down to Singapore to fly home or do it in opposite direction.

Or fly into Bangkok head over to ko Chang Island from there into Cambodia for shianoukville on up to Phnom penh and onto siem reap and back over to Chang mai in Thailand and on back to Bangkok and home....
    Plenty of routes to be done ... Lol a lot of thinking on your part.... Happy travels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

May not be the best time of year to go weather wise - you may (actually, will) get hit by a ton of rain! For that time period I'd really recommend taking in 2 countries at most. KL is a huge hub so can be relatively cheap to fly in to but the same applies to Bangkok. I always found Turkish Airlines great for Bangkok from Dublin. Air travel within the region is dirt cheap so a crazy zig zag itinerary may not cost you that much on flights.

As for recommendations for places, all depends on what you're looking for. Is it Partying? Outdoors? Temples? Spiritual? Let us know and I'm sure I can throw some recommendations your way (except maybe for spiritual...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Weather will be fine, was in Thailand in June and August 2014 and the weather was perfect. The Koh Phi Phi side may get rain, but if you stick to Koh Samui, Phangan and Tao the weather should be lovely. If you're going for 4 weeks, I'd just stay within Thailand. Hit the likes of Bangkok, Sukhothai, Chang Mai, Pai and the islands. You could go to Angkor Wat, plenty of buses from BKK to Siem Reap for as little as $10 if you want to fit in another country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement