Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Support for a StartUp

Options
  • 12-01-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Good morning,

This is my first post on Boards.ie so apologies if this is posted incorrectly.

I am interested in starting up my own business as my role is being made redundent.

What I am trying to determine is what government financial support is available to someone in my position. I assume I will claim some form of benefit from the Department of Social Protection until I find a new job or startup a business.

Do they help supplement any income at all? Any tax breaks or simlilar? I am married and my wife is in full time employment. Does it matter what amount of money she makes per annum?

Any advice would be helpful.

All the best,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

After you leave you should be entitled to something but how much will depend on your exact circumstances which you will need to go through with the Social Welfare Office there are some payments that you can get when you start your own business but most would involved being unemployed for a while beforehand. There is Supplementary Welfare Allowance that you might be entitled to initially if the income from the business isn't enough to support you. Best bet is just to go to them when the time comes and they'll suggest the best option for you. By the sounds of it you don't really have a plan for a business it sounds as if it is just a replacement job if so then it probably isn't the best idea to jump into something like that you are better off just looking for another job or have you been considering starting a business for a while and done some research into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

In addition to the supports potentially available from SWO, there are a variety of grants available for a business start-up - depending on type of business, stage of business, location, funding agency etc different criteria applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Advertisement