Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth claiming on laptop?

Options
  • 12-01-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Is it worth claiming for €500(ish) worth of damage to a Macbook Air (worth about €1300) on home insurance? I'm aware we'd have to be an excess, which I think it €200, but I'm more worried about any subsequent rise in premiums. Since I've never claimed before I'm unsure of how damaging this claim may be in the long run. May even be a case that we'd just get the laptop replaced, not sure as I haven't had the damage assessed. The above figure is just an estimation on my part.

The laptop itself is still working, however I have fears that it may now only be a matter of time until a component breaks or overheats as a result of the damage. This is why I'd be keen to replace it now if at all possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

You may find that it is not covered unless you explicitly called it out

http://www.thejournal.ie/home-insurers-wont-cover-laptops-mobiles-and-hearing-aids-124502-Apr2011/

anyway even if you did it would depend on how old it is.. wear and tear and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Firstly back up everything immediately. Data recovery is expensive and doesnt always work depending on hard drive damage.

If you have a decent no claims bonus. You could end up losing any gain you make claiming for the laptop by losing the no claims bonus. How old is the laptop? Would you sell it as it is and buy a new one. This time by insurance against this type of damage eg gadget insurance that doesnt depend on your home contents insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Some home insurance policies have no claims bonus structures in place (e.g. Aviva), some do not (e.g. RSA). If you have the latter type of policy, making a small claim like this should not cause an increase your subsequent premiums.

However, going ahead with this claim may effect your ability to get alternative quotes when your policy comes up for renewal. Having even one recent small claim may land you outside some companies' acceptance criteria.

There is absolutely no harm giving your current provider's claims line a ring and getting confirmation on what may happen if you do proceed with a claim. This would just be and enquiry and there would be no obligation whatsoever to follow up on the claim itself.

Advertisement