Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent broadband speed issue

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi for the majority of the time I receive between 4-6mb which is absolutely fine, no problems there it does what I need.

However there are some times when it drops below 1mb and becomes unusable for watching video etc

I was wondering is there any test you could run to see what the line connection is like or whether there might be interference on my end

I dont use my phone line to make calls, is it ok if I just directly to my socket without the splitter and leave it like that 24/7? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

skydish79 wrote: »
    Hi for the majority of the time I receive between 4-6mb which is absolutely fine, no problems there it does what I need.

However there are some times when it drops below 1mb and becomes unusable for watching video etc

I was wondering is there any test you could run to see what the line connection is like or whether there might be interference on my end

I dont use my phone line to make calls, is it ok if I just directly to my socket without the splitter and leave it like that 24/7? 
    Hi skydish79

Sorry to hear of this - feel free to PM me your land line number & I'll run some tests.

Thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Hi skydish79

Sorry to hear of this - feel free to PM me your land line number & I'll run some tests.

Thanks
    AL
    Thanks pm sent

Hi skydish79

Thanks for PM'ing me the details,

I've looked in to this in detail and I can see that there is no sign of interference on your end, there's also no faults located internally or externally.

While connecting to the socket is best considering you have no use for the phone it's also best to connect your laptop to the modem by Ethernet cable.

On another note, I can see that speeds are set to up to 8MB but your line is qualifying for up to 15Mb. To get the most of the lines ability you can upgrade to 'up to' 24Mb at no extra cost by calling sales on free phone 1800503303.

Thanks
    Al

Hi skydish79

I've looked in to this in detail and I can see that there is no sign of interference on your end, there's also no faults located internally or externally.

While connecting to the socket is best considering you have no use for the phone it's also best to connect your laptop to the modem by Ethernet cable.

On another note, I can see that speeds are set to up to 8MB but your line is qualifying for up to 15Mb. To get the most of the lines ability you can upgrade to 'up to' 24Mb at no extra cost by calling sales on free phone 1800503303.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for the tests

Yeah tech support said I could get 10mb, but I thought if I increased it, it might lead to more instability.

Also don't want to take more speed than I need if it would affect others in my estate

Hi skydish79

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for the tests

Yeah tech support said I could get 10mb, but I thought if I increased it, it might lead to more instability.

Also don't want to take more speed than I need if it would affect others in my estate
    Hi skydish79

That's very considerate of you but it should not affect others in your area.

The max my tests show is up to 15Mb and based on my own experience your line should be well able to hold it.

Al

• Advertisement

Hi sorry to drag up an old post

Was checking the line checker today, and I'll be efibre enabled on the 8/7

I was onto sales and they said I'd be able to get 12mb

As I was already able to get up to 15mb , whats the benefit of efibre 

Hi sorry to drag up an old post

Was checking the line checker today, and I'll be efibre enabled on the 8/7

I was onto sales and they said I'd be able to get 12mb

As I was already able to get up to 15mb , whats the benefit of efibre 
    Hi skydish79

In some cases eFibre not be able to offer you the fastest speed. eFibre covage reached up to 2Km from a fibre cabinet and up to the 2Km speeds degrade over distance - check out the speed v distance graph found here for example : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Normal broadband is provided by the exchange and not VDSL cabnits. The range of normal broadband is much longer than that of eFibre.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement