Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing our RB Dogs to Aus

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

We have decided that we don't see a future here in Ireland for our kids at the rate the country is going. So we are looking at emigrating to Aus, SA ( Adelaide) to be precise. We are at a very early stage and are currently gathering information.

Can you tell me is there any restrictions on importing dogs to SA? We have 1 full Rottweiler and 1 X Rottweiler. I know in some states there are but unsure on SA.

Thanks and I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more questions from me... We are also to attend a the working abroad expo in march any experience of these? Opinions?

Thanks again

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Your best option is to look at SA laws regarding dog breeds. They may be on the dangerous dogs list. So muzzled in public, special collars, secure home for them may be required. Each state can be different.

As for transport costs and bringing them over, it shouldn't be a problem bar the cost. They will have to spend time in quarantine and then the actual cost of transporting can be several thousand AU$'s or €'s per dog. Being a bigger breed it may be more expensive. I've seen figures from $3000-$7000 per animal with all costs included.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

pete4130 wrote: »
    Your best option is to look at SA laws regarding dog breeds. They may be on the dangerous dogs list. So muzzled in public, special collars, secure home for them may be required. Each state can be different.

As for transport costs and bringing them over, it shouldn't be a problem bar the cost. They will have to spend time in quarantine and then the actual cost of transporting can be several thousand AU$'s or €'s per dog. Being a bigger breed it may be more expensive. I've seen figures from $3000-$7000 per animal with all costs included.

Hi Pete, I had a good root around and found that there is no BSL in SA with regards to Rotties, Great news. But the shipping cost on the dogs is likely to be about €7k!! It will probably cost more to bring our dogs than to bring our entire family of 5! Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

ElKavo wrote: »
    Hi Pete, I had a good root around and found that there is no BSL in SA with regards to Rotties, Great news. But the shipping cost on the dogs is likely to be about €7k!! It will probably cost more to bring our dogs than to bring our entire family of 5! Mental.
    Not that mental. Obviously you can't treat Rottweilers like you treat economony class passengers; they'd tear you to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not that mental. Obviously you can't treat Rottweilers like you treat economony class passengers; they'd tear you to shreds.

after they'd finished all the non-vegetarian meals and polished off the red wine.

and they always leave the seat up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Someone else asked about this the other week, here is a good thread on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70458669#post70458669

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Jatie

Hi ElKavo,
    We are also planning on moving to Australia with our two dogs soon. We have done most of the paperwork and injections, and have received the import permits already. We're now waiting for my VISA application to be processed and then we can finalise the process for the dogs.
    We have been working together with a pet shipping company (please pm me if you want contact details), and they have been helpful. We were quoted €7645 for both dogs.
    If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Peregrinus wrote: »

My two are probably nicer than most economy passengers after 22 hours LOL. Nicest dogs you'll ever meet.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Someone else asked about this the other week, here is a good thread on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70458669#post70458669

Cheers Mandrake, I Did have a look at it but just wasn't sure that on the laws. Hopefully I can get the two of them there at a reasonable price. With Ireland being rabies free and all. Leaving them behind is not an option. They are both rescues and I couldn't turn my back on them.

Thanks

Advertisement