Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FedEx Invoice for VAT and Duty on Gift sent from outside of the EU

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I received a gift over Christmas from a family member in the states which was delivered by FedEx. I then received an invoice in the post a week ago from FedEx for the VAT and Duty on the package.

The package I received contained one item valued at $50, and two items valued at $10 each. According to the following from revenue.ie, am I liable to pay VAT and Duty on the whole package, or just on the two items valued at $10 each, as the $50 item does not exceed the €45 value.

PN 1179 - Relief from Customs Duty and VAT on gift consignments and consignments of negligible value imported from outside the European Union (EU)

4.4 More than one item in a "gift" consignment
    Where a consignment consists of two or more items of an aggregate value exceeding €45, relief will still be given for those items the total value of which does not exceed this amount. However, it is important to understand that the value of an individual item cannot be split up.

They give the following example: Five items valued at €10 each - Four items relieved in full. One item subject to Customs Duty (normal rate or 2.5% flat rate) and VAT on its full value (in this case, €10).

If I'm comprehending this correctly, only the two $10 items in my package should be liable for VAT and Duty.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

This may help or not, but you should ring Com-Reg for some advice, as far as I know you have to be advised of charges on any parcel before or at the time the parcel is delivered, not weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Once the item is over €22 it is liable for tax a complete joke happened to me a few months ago

They also calculate it on the postage...

so if the item was 20 euro and the postage is 20 euro the tax liable is for the 40euro value

Makes me laugh the government tell us to shop around and then they do this when it comes in....shouldn't be liable on a gift if its labelled as a gift in my opinion and a product you cannot get here.

Advertisement