Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Valley Resevoir/Slieve Binnian/Ben Crom Dam possible in one hike

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I would like to do a hike that takes it these 3 places (Silent Valley Resevoir/Slieve Binnian/Ben Crom Dam). Could anyone share a route with me and advise where would be best to park? I see parking here, but if I parked there and climbed to the top of Slieve Binnian and wanted to drop down to the dam/resevoir, it would mean a long walk back along the roads to the car park or coming back up over Binnian. Is it even possible to descend from Binnian to the resevoir/dam?
    Basically, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you park there, it's a pretty easy route to follow to the top of Slieve Binnian, it's the route of the Mourne Wall walk, and most walkers start from there. From there you can head more or less north on a track that will take you to just above the Ben Crom dam, and you can descend from there. It's quite steep but not difficult. From there you could follow the track all along the edge of the Silent Valley reservoir to the dam and from there follow the wall back up to Slieve Binnian via Wee Binnian (very steep!) and via the same route as you ascended by back to the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Could it be done by parking at the Silent Valley reservoir and walking alonge the waterside to the dam where you head NEE up to the saddle between Binnian and Slievelamagan and then basically South up onto the summit of Binnian. Descent could be via little Binnian.

I am not sure about descending little Binnian (never done it) or parking at the reservoir....may be gated after a certain time.

This would have less climbing in it.

Yes, you could do it that way, certainly. Descent from Slieve Binnian via Wee Binnian is easy navigation wise, just follow the wall all the way, but it is quite steep and uneven especially on the upper part.

Access to the Silent valley car park is limited but for a relatively short walk such as this, you'd have plenty of time. Plus there's a cafe there to enjoy a drink/snack afterwards!

FYI
    The reservoir grounds are open daily from 10am until 6:30pm (May to September) and 10am until 4pm (October to April).

Advertisement