Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump rental

Options
  • 12-01-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to rent a pump that can drain out water from a flooded ditch.

Quite a bit of water, looking to get it out so I can get access to the pipe that is meant to be carrying this water away.

Anyone have any ideas if it is possible to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any of the plant hire companies will have them for rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If its not too far from the house and electricity then buying an electric submersible pump might be almost a cheap as hiring a pump particularly if this might be a regular event.

Also if there is another lower ditch within hose pipe range you can siphon water from the higher one to the lower one, no pump needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Unfortunately the ditch which I want to pump to is pretty much the same level as the flooded ditch.

There is also a LOT of water to move.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Unfortunately the ditch which I want to pump to is pretty much the same level as the flooded ditch.

There is also a LOT of water to move.

If you know roughly where the water is supposed to be going out you can use whatever pump you have to suck up clean(ish) water and then direct the outflow back into the same ditch and aim it at where the blockage is to loosen all the mud. You can even tie the end of the out let pipe to a garden fork or suitable stick and push it down into the mud to find the drain.

I'd also be looking for the other end where your ditch flows into and roding up from there.

Yeah, I've a bunch of old chimney sweep rods that I'll be using to try and clear out the pipe.

Not expecting that to be successful though so the pump should let me get at the drain from the blocked end also.

• Advertisement

you can get a small submersible but most are for dirty water and not solids. you'd need to know if there's muck or solids going through. but you'd pick up a small stainless dirty water pump very easily though they're over 100 or close to 200 squid. you single phase then yes??

Yes, single phase only.

Water will be dirty - only solids should be debris, leaves etc which can be screened easily. Its just run off from land.

Saying that - could be silt / muck there now for all I know.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Yes, single phase only.

Water will be dirty - only solids should be debris, leaves etc which can be screened easily. Its just run off from land.

Saying that - could be silt / muck there now for all I know.

well these can starve the pump, a dirty water pump should only have dirty water. You could always call ABS/Sulzer in Dublin or ITT in Dublin and pick their brains. 4520266 9-5 for the latter.

Any of the smaller petrol pumps will do the job. 2 inch (50mm) petrol centrifugal pump is the normal specification, takes a 2 inch delivery hose with a strainer on it which keeps out leaves and debris. I have one here and its fine for emptying ditches, if you need to go down and get every last drop out then you need to dig a sump once you have the ditch nearly empty. The normal centrifugal pumps often need priming (filling with water) before they work but you can get a petrol or diesel diaphragm pump that doesn't need priming. Priming just means you open a cap in the top of the pump and poor in some water.

With the electric submersible pumps I put them in an old wire shopping basket tying the basket handles to the deliver hose or pump handles and the shopping basket acts as a handy filter you can even cover it in a loose weave material to act as an additional filter.

http://www.powerplant.ie/hire/pumps.htm list 2" Honda Centrifugal Pump
    &
    http://www.mwhire.com/equipment/2-inch-honda-water-pump/ list what is probably a similar pump and the manual here http://www.mwhire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/WB20XT-PDF.pdf

Both in Wexford

• Advertisement
Advertisement