Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Marathon 2015 15/03/2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Good to see tralee jumping on the bandwagon....

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

ultraman1 wrote: »

Explain..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

It's the third year of the Tralee marathon :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

quinlivan wrote: »
    Can't believe you are going to drive it first. I'd rather not know whats instore :)
    It'll all be new then on Sunday

Ah it's more just to get an idea of it. I will have a few supporters with me on the day so I will need to suss out what points are the best to meet them on course. It looks accessible for supports at 6 & 12 miles close to Ardfert. Could anyone recommend a suitable place betweek miles 18-22 for support?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ah it's more just to get an idea of it. I will have a few supporters with me on the day so I will need to suss out what points are the best to meet them on course. It looks accessible for supports at 6 & 12 miles close to Ardfert. Could anyone recommend a suitable place betweek miles 18-22 for support?

I understand you want to have some support on the course but please don't have you friends and/or family drive on the race route. A lot of the course is on narrow roads and cars and packs of runners are just not a good mix on those. That especially means avoiding the half marathon route.

Incidentally, between miles 18 and 22 the road is okay. They can stop anywhere along that route, there are plenty of suitable parking places.

If they meet you at Ardfert (miles 6 and 12-ish), possibly Fenit (18) and at Spa (22/23) that should be manageable I'd think.

• Advertisement

Perfect. I'd say thats what they will do so. Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

By the looks of it, its 360 registered for the Full, 564 registered for the Half...

By the looks of it, its 360 registered for the Full, 564 registered for the Half...

No wonder they left registration open longer. Would of preferred bigger numbers but not the end of the world.

More importantly....where's the session after!!?

When I ran Connemara there were about 600 runners. I was on my own for a lot of the first half (as the second half ran into the back of the half marathoners).

It doesnt really bother me as I do all my running on my own anyway but love feeding off the energy of others (not in a vampiric way).

Weather looks good for Sunday

tumblr_nl5804GtAa1qhjigeo1_1280.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

With Tralee being located where it is, and the wind generally coming from the Atlantic, be prepared to be facing into it for the early miles until you turn at Ardfert. If that is the way it pans out, you'll have it at your back, or at the very worst side on, for the remainder of the race. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but no harm in expecting it anyway... Nearly always an extra bit of wind around the area, especially if the tide is coming in, but I've no idea what time that happens Sunday.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    With Tralee being located where it is, and the wind generally coming from the Atlantic, be prepared to be facing into it for the early miles until you turn at Ardfert. If that is the way it pans out, you'll have it at your back, or at the very worst side on, for the remainder of the race. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but no harm in expecting it anyway... Nearly always an extra bit of wind around the area, especially if the tide is coming in, but I've no idea what time that happens Sunday.

Met.ie have a tiny bit of wind coming from south-east on Sunday, which means it would be on our backs at first and against it in the second half.

wunderground.com say there won't be any wind at all!

The Norwegians have it coming from the southeast as well, but at speeds of 2 or 3 m/s that's not even worth talking about.

Conditions will be great on Sunday, if a bit on the chilly side. Will need to decide between a t-shirt and long sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Best of luck to all on Sunday! last training run done I hope. I'll be out around the 10 and 20 miles cheering ye on :)

When I ran Connemara there were about 600 runners. I was on my own for a lot of the first half (as the second half ran into the back of the half marathoners).

It doesnt really bother me as I do all my running on my own anyway but love feeding off the energy of others (not in a vampiric way).

What pace are you planning on running?

There are pace groups every 15 minutes, which obviously means company for the entire race.

Anything in-between you may or may not find a buddy going at the same speed, at least for a while.

I'm aiming for 4:00... but operate better under fear conditions so might try stay ahead of the 4hr pacer if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Nice medal,,,but wtf is a 13.1 mile marathon..

Nice medal,,,but wtf is a 13.1 mile marathon..

It doesn't say miles anywhere :D

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Better bring the sun glasses going by the clear skies & sunshine forecast :)

opus wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Better bring the sun glasses going by the clear skies & sunshine forecast :)

Just back from driving the course, missed a few of the mile markers. The roads around miles 8-13 aren't great but apart from that it seems like a nice scenic route. The hill between miles 22-23 will hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Well, how did everyone get on?

I aimed for sub-3:30 and stayed on the bus until mile 20. Alas, my recent chest infection had left me drained and so from mile 20 I felt a bit weak, so I parked my ego, cut my losses and ran in for 3:49:00.

Highlight for me: my sprint finish all on my own down the finishing straight of my home town.

Great weather and course, and apart from a few mile markers being way out (maybe due to a late route change) the organisation was excellent. I'll do it again.

• Advertisement

Pretty happy with 3:06:29 :)

My race report (long and rambling, as always) took almost as long to write :rolleyes: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2015/03/beware-ides-of-march.html

Even without 'hill' it's a challenging enough route with plenty of drags and a bit of wind as well yesterday. My own run was going ok 'til I got tripped from behind (accidentally of course) & down I went like the proverbial sack of spuds. The pacer very kindly came back for me and said to drive on but after a mile or so when the shock had worn off I had lots of distress signals coming from my left side. Seeing as it wasn't a be & end all run, I sadly bade farewell to the group around mile 21 & stopped to walk to take stock of things. Nicely skinned elbow, shoulder, fingers & knee. Figured I could ignore everything bar the knee so I started jogging again & it didn't seem too bad so I carried on albeit a little slower. Got a water bottle at the next aid station to wash the blood off my hand which although didn't hurt at all was by far the worst looking so didn't want any first-aid types stopping me :)

After cleaning myself up went back to the finish straight to wait for a friend and do my share of clapping. Thought it was really nice the way that lots of people picked their kids from the side to run the last 50m with them, that's part of the charm of a smaller event like Tralee I think.

All in all I enjoyed the day & hopefully my bit of road-rash will fix itself in time for the Mallow 10 next Sunday.

You fell just after we had passed your group on the out-and-back; I turned around and saw the pacer helping you up and I figured you'd probably be okay.

I wonder if a couple of friends in that group waving hello to us and causing a tiny bit of a misstep was the reason for your stumble.

Not a bad time considering you had that fall - congratulations! I think you missed picking up your age group trophy, though.

Here's my race report from Tralee if anyone is interested:
    Tralee Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

Great blog quinlivan, you should start your own training log.

I wonder if a couple of friends in that group waving hello to us and causing a tiny bit of a misstep was the reason for your stumble.

Not a bad time considering you had that fall - congratulations! I think you missed picking up your age group trophy, though.

Not sure tbh, I remember something happening & next thing I knew I was on the road! No big deal anyway, I'll survive :)

An age group trophy, must admit that never even crossed my mind as I'm normally a long way from that end of the field :o
    Here's my race report from Tralee if anyone is interested:
    Tralee Marathon

Great report, think I remember you finishing as I was standing along by the barriers. Spotted you're signed up for the Cork marathon as well, it's a lot easier ;)

opus wrote: »
    Great report, think I remember you finishing as I was standing along by the barriers. Spotted you're signed up for the Cork marathon as well, it's a lot easier ;)

I'm actually psyched for Cork now, Tralee was lovely - really enjoyed it! Hitting 4:00 was more than I could have wished for (my PB is 3:51 but with a bit of weight on, I dont mind the extra time accrued).

I've my sights set on 3:45 in Cork!

Advertisement