Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshelf Speakers

• 12-01-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello All,

I am sure there has been a discussion on this and can be bumped if so. I am looking for recommendations for a good pair of bookshelf speakers under €200 (they will be wall mounted so size is a concern). I am non technical so detailed info not needed. I have a Yamaha amp and have the house wired with normal audio wires. I have looked at the Q range (i2010 etc) but not sure if I need a sub woofer with these (would prefer not to have to get one). I don't need a knebworth set up just something that will give me a rich clear 'all round' sound. Also open to suggestions of speakers I might pick up second hand sub €200. Also a wood finished is desirable. Is that fussy enough for yis?!Thanks.

Dec

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Hello All,

I am sure there has been a discussion on this and can be bumped if so. I am looking for recommendations for a good pair of bookshelf speakers under €200 (they will be wall mounted so size is a concern). I am non technical so detailed info not needed. I have a Yamaha amp and have the house wired with normal audio wires. I have looked at the Q range (i2010 etc) but not sure if I need a sub woofer with these (would prefer not to have to get one). I don't need a knebworth set up just something that will give me a rich clear 'all round' sound. Also open to suggestions of speakers I might pick up second hand sub €200. Also a wood finished is desirable. Is that fussy enough for yis?!Thanks.

Dec

The 2020's are my favourite speaker in the €200 price range. Favoritism aside they are the most highly recommended speaker of their class,while an older set of wharfedale speakers (diamond 10.2 etc ) might be cheaper it's the question of time in use vs out of the box.
    Mechanically the 2020 are plenty bass loaded so in the short term sub not needed (2050s are better than 2020 and 2070 sub imo if your looking to expand )

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Thanks Sol....what about the 2010's would these be a good allrounder? or the cambridge sx50's? the 2020's might be just a little too big and expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Thanks Sol....what about the 2010's would these be a good allrounder? or the cambridge sx50's? the 2020's might be just a little too big and expensive

Well the 2010's and the wall brackets would be just about the €200 mark. Having not heard the sx50's for more than a few minutes I can't give an option . My brother has the 2020's on his amp, I am always impressed how pleasant they sound given there "budget" price tag

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

I got a pair of 2010i's recently - I was so impressed with their sound that I'm considering ditching my Wharfedale S500's and REL sub for a pair of 2020i's. Great warmth, response and bass. I'd say no need for a sub with them at all , although I do know someone who might be selling one quite soon ;)

If they're going to be wall-mounted be aware that they are quite deep. Q do a line of wall mounts specifically for them, but they will stick out from the wall quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Hi Guerito,

That's good to know, I order a set to arrive this week. I held off on the brackets for that exact reason as I wanted to see how they sit against the wall first.

Dec

• Advertisement
Advertisement