Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tropical fish/ aquarium supply shops near Waterford

Options
  • 12-01-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Is there a list anywhere of shops that sell tropical fish etc.

I will be beginning to stock my tank in a few weeks but I don't know of any shops near me. I have bought some supplies in Dublin as I'm there every weekend but I'd rather not stress the fish with a two hour journey home from there. So I would like to get the fish closer to home if possible, I'm in Waterford BTW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are you near the city? ISTR Pets R Vets (it used to be called that anyway) down on O'Connell Street had a decent selection last time I was in there, but I don't know what the quality of their stock would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

Yeah well the city is 25 minutes from me but its a lot better than the fish being in a plastic bag for the 2 hour journey from dublin.

Thanks I'll look them up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

A quick google search throws these up:
    Maxi Zoo Butlerstown Retail Park
    Cork Road, Waterford, Ireland
    www.maxizoo.ie +353 51 599 123
    Petmania Waterford Ivory
    Tramore Rd, Waterford City, Waterford, Ireland
    www.petmania.ie +353 51 326 326
    Pet Necessities Ballinaneasagh, Cork road
    Waterford, Ireland
    www.petnecessities.ie +353 51 355 685
    Pet Paradise 65 O'Connell Street
    Waterford, Ireland
    +353 51 843 626

Maxi Zoos don't always stock fish but this is an XXL one so it should, but best to ring beforehand.

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Don't bother with Maxi Zoo. I was well known there for buying fish and they sold me three Pacu that were completely unsuitable for my tank and existing fish. I lost over 30 fish and these three are just getting bigger. No satisfaction from the manageress in the shop. I contacted their Head Office through their web page last week and did not even get the courtesy of a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

joebre wrote: »
    Don't bother with Maxi Zoo. I was well known there for buying fish and they sold me three Pacu that were completely unsuitable for my tank and existing fish. I lost over 30 fish and these three are just getting bigger. No satisfaction from the manageress in the shop. I contacted their Head Office through their web page last week and did not even get the courtesy of a reply.

Did you ask for advice or did you just walk in and buy the fish?

As I said in my opening line, I was well known in the shop and they aware of the mix of fix that I already had. The pacu ate 6 other fish that I bought the very same day. I have not seen the same fish there before or since. I have nothing left in my tank but these 3 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

That's fairly bad form alright.

I'd class pacu with some of the large catfish that aquatics stores sell as absolutely moronic considering their eventual size.

My tank consisted on mostly convict cichlids and there is one lonely guy left. My problem now is what am I going to do with the 3 pacu ? And I am at the loss of a couple of hundred Euro worth of fish !

Matter now resolved. Was contacted by Maxi Zoo and a resolution has been found.
    Pleased with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

McGuire's garden centre out by woodstown. they have a huge fish range out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

joebre wrote: »
    Matter now resolved. Was contacted by Maxi Zoo and a resolution has been found.
    Pleased with the result.

Glad you got sorted. I use Maxi Zoo for fish & find them very good. Probably depends on the branch I guess. I had an issue before & they resolved it.

deise08 wrote: »
    McGuire's garden centre out by woodstown. they have a huge fish range out there!

That's where I've gotten most of my fish from, they are very nice people to deal with

Advertisement