Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on travelling to New York and Orlando

Options
  • 12-01-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi There,
    I am hoping to bring my 14 year old son on a trip of a lifetime to Orlando this May/June and would like to try and stop off in New York on the way over for a few days.
    I was wondering if anyone has any helpful hints and tips on who would be the best people to book with, what would be the best things to see in both NY and Orlando for a 14 YO and me and also, would I need to hire a car to travel around Orlando if we plan to visit the theme parks mainly??
    We would also like to visit the Kennedy Space Centre while there, does anyone know if it's easy enough to get to if I don't hire a car??
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Shoe Lace wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I am hoping to bring my 14 year old son on a trip of a lifetime to Orlando this May/June and would like to try and stop off in New York on the way over for a few days.
    I was wondering if anyone has any helpful hints and tips on who would be the best people to book with, what would be the best things to see in both NY and Orlando for a 14 YO and me and also, would I need to hire a car to travel around Orlando if we plan to visit the theme parks mainly??
    We would also like to visit the Kennedy Space Centre while there, does anyone know if it's easy enough to get to if I don't hire a car??
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

For a 14yr old, Universal Orlando Resort rather than Disney IMO, Discovery Cove Dolphin swim (it's really an interaction rather than a swim) but your ultimate swim ticket will include Sea World, Aquatica water park & Busch Gardens in Tampa

Car if you can at all in Orlando, driving is easy really, you can get a free bus to Busch AFAIK not sure about Kennedy Space Centre

For NYC, Top of the Rock and or Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island, USS Intrepid, Central Park & Times Square would be my pics

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clearbrook

I'm too new to be able to post links, but these two websites may help you out:

www dot disboards dot com - large board discussing all matters Disney. There is a section that caters to folks coming from outside the US, so scroll down to the "Global Neighbors" area for that section.

www dot mousesavers dot com - meant to be a site for those who are looking to save on their trips, but it also contains a good bit of practical info for visiting the parks.

Good luck & enjoy your trip with your son!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

you can fly Aer Lingus to New York - JFK, Jet blue from New York - JFK to Orlando and back home with Aer Lingus from Orlando to Dublin.

New York as above, last time we stayed Staybridge suites Times Square, very central and easy to get around Manhattan from Times Square

for Orlando rent a car, they are very reasonable and it is easy to drive around, much easier than Ireland.

Do all the parks, you can get multi day park tickets, but need to schedule park free days to have a rest as well, they are massive.

Cape Canaveral / Kennedy is about 1hr 30 mins from Orlando driving easy, get up early and when you are there don't forget to get the bus to the Saturn V rocket centre easy to forget with the Space Shuttle Atlantis and imax movies etc

also use for tips and info

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/

and read some of this guys books

http://mkingdon.com/trip-reports/

and also worth a read

http://catherineryanhoward.com/mybooks/books-by-me-mousetrapped/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

New York get the citypass tickets for $114, it covers all the main attractions and get the metro card to cover your subways!

For Orlando deffo rent a car! So much better and there's a beautiful place called Blue Springs just a drive away! Found it by accident and it's 100% my favourite part of Florida! Beautiful natural lazy river you can go down and the waters amazing! Buy your tickets for the theme parks before you go! Tour America are really good and they can sort your flights out for you too! Always get a good deal with them just unfortunatelty you'll most likely fly to England first so wont have the direct clearnce yo get from Dublin Airport!

If you rent a car, organise before you go and pick it up from the airport! They're so good and helpful! Just watch the roads takes a few mins to get use to it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement