Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from ACA to ACCA

Options
  • 12-01-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am considering switching from the ACA exams to the ACCA exams. I failed the ACA in September and think it might be better to switch this year as option to do exams in June, Sept and December.
    I believe i will have only 5 exams to do with the exemptions.
    The cost of the course fees for the ACCA seem to be substantial and just wondering whether people recommend doing these courses?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Cudster wrote: »
    I am considering switching from the ACA exams to the ACCA exams. I failed the ACA in September and think it might be better to switch this year as option to do exams in June, Sept and December.
    I believe i will have only 5 exams to do with the exemptions.
    The cost of the course fees for the ACCA seem to be substantial and just wondering whether people recommend doing these courses?!

A few people have considered this in the past, hopefully some may have experience of changing or staying and finishing. In general I'd suggest staying with your current body.

However, if you do switch then you might not need courses if you've already taken similar subjects with CAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

just remember you will have to pay for any exemptions you are claiming which could cost quite a bit! I was ACA originally but failed, moved jobs and began to sit the ACCAs where I had 6 to complete.

I feel the ACA might be more highly regarded in the way that when i look at positions on offer they are looking for a big 4 qualified accountant - majority of these will be ACA. But I found the course more manageable as you can decide how many to sit in one sitting. eg sit 2 in june, 2 in Dec rathar than ACA CAP 2 having to sit 4 in June (granted there is plenty of study leave to prepare for these).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cudster

ya ive been in practice with a big 4 company for 3 years now. Ya i understand paying for the exemptions are a lot.
    I don't mind that too much, just wondering whether i would need to sit the courses as these are very expensive and seem to be the biggest expense. I would probably do a course for P2 , possibly P3. Do most people do the courses or is it possible to use whatever is out there already?

The main reason i want to switch is just the extra sittings.
    I'd happily sit the ACA's again but no guarantee i will pass and would be back in the same boat again next year for messing up on something stupid whereas with ACCA's I'd hope to have them close to done by this time next year (possibly one or two repeats!)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I work in Industry and made the switch after passing my Cap2's...

I used Griffith college for P2 & P5.. Used open tuition for P1 & P3 and plan on doing P4 myself.. The course fees are roughly around €850e..

If you do switch just buy Kaplan or BPP textbook/revision kit etc..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The main reason i want to switch is just the extra sittings.
    I'd happily sit the ACA's again but no guarantee i will pass and would be back in the same boat again next year for messing up on something stupid whereas with ACCA's I'd hope to have them close to done by this time next year (possibly one or two repeats!)

Why do you think you will have better 'luck' at passing the ACCA exams than the ACA ones? The ACCA I expect you will find that the ACCA exams are just as challenging as the ACA ones and the fact that they hold exams more frequently will not make it an easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Cudster

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why do you think you will have better 'luck' at passing the ACCA exams than the ACA ones? The ACCA I expect you will find that the ACCA exams are just as challenging as the ACA ones and the fact that they hold exams more frequently will not make it an easier.

I never said they were easier exams . The reason I want to do them is cos can do maybe 2 subjects at once and frequency of sittings ..I passed all elements of ACA exam last year bar financial reporting but getting no credit for passing them elements of the exam is a pain whereas with acca can knock these subjects off as I go along.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I never said they were easier exams . The reason I want to do them is cos can do maybe 2 subjects at once and frequency of sittings ..I passed all elements of ACA exam last year bar financial reporting but getting no credit for passing them elements of the exam is a pain whereas with acca can knock these subjects off as I go along.

But you are only required to retake one of them and in which case you will only have to retake the one... or am I missing something. In which case if it were me, I'd be concentration on that rather than starting into a whole new system. But everyone to his/her own...

A couple of things to keep in mind though: Are there any obligations to your employer (training contract perhaps) that you do ACA? And the other thing is who is going to sign off on your work experience to date for the ACCA - it is not just about the exams, you'll need to get your experience signed off as well regardless of which route you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annaP79

hey

I know nothing about ACA as I am doing ACCA exams but have you considered CPA or Chartered Accountants?

with ACCA P level it is possible to study on your own for P1 and P3 but for the rest you would probably need to attend classes (cost around 900€ at least) check ACCA website and see past papers to give you an idea how difficult/easy they are

the reason why I am suggesting CPA or something else is that I am one of these people who dnt necessarily believe that ACCA examination system goes in the right direction and it is unknown how that will impact how employers perceive that qualification, I am thinking mostly about F level from which you would be exempt I think but still

I am obviously happy that there will be extra sittings as that will allow to repeat faster but if it happens that someone fails by a lot what are the real chances to pass successfully in the extra sitting?

there simply will not be enough time to get ready I think, you need to wait for 8 weeks to get results, i dnt know if that will change, so you already keep forgetting things! and then another month until extra sitting . . . can work but doesn't necessarily have to,

very good point from Jim about experience record but if you have it done already with ACA then maybe ACCA would consider what you have and you would be done

best of luck with whatever you do anyway!

Advertisement