Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caligraphy

Options
  • 12-01-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I am interested in learning how to do caligraphy. I have had a go, looked at YouTube videos etc. but feel I could benefit from one to one tuition or class lessons. Does anyone know of classes/tuition available? I live near Drogheda Co. Louth but would travel to Dublin or Meath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I learned at school and could do it well even though we had a useless teacher so it was easy enough to pick up. We were given a photocopy of letters and numbers in calligraphy style to copy from, how to hold the pen and then left to our own devices.

Youve prob seen on Youtube that, the pen is always held on a slant from the direction of around 4 on a clock pointing towards the centre, that doesn't change no matter what direction you're writing, if that makes sense? The nib is flat and we used to use pens that came with different width nibs to use and ink cartridges.

Once you know how to hold the pen properly you should be able to master it. Rule your lines and write lightly with pencil first as a guide and erase when you've written in ink because it's easy to make a mistake if you lose concentration.

Advertisement