Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Keeway won't start - what am I missing?

• 12-01-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Keeway F-Act won't start
    Fuel is flowing ok - I tested with the engine turning etc.
    Good spark (with the plug out at least) - I tested with two plugs
    Plugs are wet - petrol seems to be getting in.
    Any ideas from there ....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Spray wd 40 all over the plugs and into the caps, you say they're wet?
    Is this a kick-start only or is there an electric start?
    When did it happen ie has it been left outside in the rain and now it won't turn over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

I should have said the plug is wet with petrol when I take it out, so fuel seems ok. It's been in a dry shed - not outside at all.
    It turns over well with good battery so it seems to have fuel, spark and compression!
    I turned it over for a good while with plug out as well to clear it out.
    Could it have anything to do with the choke - there is no sign of life at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Has it been parked up long? If it has and the fuel has evaporated, there will be a gunge left in the carb, this will block the jets and the water can also cause corrosion which looks like whitish powdery crap.
    You need to drain the tank and carb and try fresh fuel.
    If that doesn't work you will need to pull the carb and clean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

I'm making a bit of progress but still haven't it fully tied down.

I cleaned the carb and tank etc.
    I sucked on the vacuum hose to the tank and fuel came out ok.
    I checked the electronic choke/enricher thingy and it seemed to work fine - expanded by 3-4 mm and contracted again.

But still it wouldn't go.

Then I tried putting my finger over the hole where the choke/enricher needle expands into (with the choke taken off of course) and it started straight away and kept running.
    Then I put it all back together and it started again.
    Then it wouldn't start again later.
    Then I checked the fuel supply again and it dribbled a bit while turning over, but not the full flow I got when I sucked on the vacuum hose.
    Then it started fine again after that.

1) So, could it be that it's not getting enough fuel? (I can't find any vacuum leaks.) - but if so, why would it start with my finger over the choke hole?
    2) could it be a problem with the electronic choke (but it's fine when I tested it)

Any suggestions appreciated!

Advertisement