Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a non-UK resident get a DBS clearance?

Options
  • 12-01-2015 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, there is a 3 week training course in the UK that I'm thinking of doing. Part of it, 99% of it actually, involves hands on, clinical training at a major London hospital. It's not for the role of doctor or nurse, I wish, no, something else. Anyway, the British training provider requires applicants to have undergone a British DBS check, Disclosure and Barring Service check - as you will have access to the elderly, children and the infirm. But how can a non-UK resident have such a check done, does anyone know?

Would a Police Certificate from the Gardai suffice I wonder? I don't think I could get a Garda Vetting Cert as the potential training provider would have to request it from the Gardai and I don't think that British training provider will, or potentially can, request that. I think, though I may be wrong that only employers or training providers in Ireland can request such a Vetting check from the Gardai - I think they may even have to register with the Gardai? I could get a Police Cert, though I would have to say it was visa purposes or something, or because I wanted to establish a business in another EU member State. They don't issue them for employment reasons (and training too, I'm guessing) But does a Police Certificate from Ireland equate to a DBS check in the UK?

It seems like an excellent course and I would hate to miss it, as doing it may get me off the dole for good. Maybe. Luckily I have some funds to cover travel, accommodation, living expenses and the course itself. But now I have this bloody DBS thing to sort out?

I have emailed the DBS department in the UK and the private company the training provider uses to organise the DBS checks. They may reply, they may not. Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks.

gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/contact-disclosure-and-barring-service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

My Mom had to have one done a while back, but she was an ex UK resident. No they won't accept anything from the Gardai, the DBS is more thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 raspberrypie

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    My Mom had to have one done a while back, but she was an ex UK resident. No they won't accept anything from the Gardai, the DBS is more thorough.

I finally was able to speak to someone at the UK DBS Service, really friendly - though she had Irish ancestry, had a grand old chat, lol. Anyway, a non-resident can get a DBS check done but most likely it will come back blank but would still need to be done simply to tick the boxes. Then the employer or training provider would most likely require a Garda check, here we have three options: full vetting which can from I've heard take 6 months, a Garda Certificate (actually called a Police Certificate) which takes a few weeks and a Data Protection request which will outline if you have a criminal record, it will outline what info the Gardai have on you. The latter two aren't supposed to be for work or training though, but most likely would e accepted by a UK traning provider. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I used ucheck.org for my CRB but I am a resident, normally an employer/potential employer has to get it done but you can do it yourself with these guys. I'm not sure do they contract the Irish guards for you or not but contact then and see what they say

Advertisement