Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one shoot with a .410

Options
  • 12-01-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Thinking of trading my semi for a .410.Anyone every shoot one.i know a few lads that do and said their a bit of craic for snipe and woodcock.i used the semi id say 5 times this year so its going.i like walking plantings for woodcock so im think a 410 would be ideal for it.any help would be great thanks Allan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

allan450 wrote: »
    Thinking of trading my semi for a .410.Anyone every shoot one.i know a few lads that do and said their a bit of craic for snipe and woodcock.i used the semi id say 5 times this year so its going.i like walking plantings for woodcock so im think a 410 would be ideal for it.any help would be great thanks Allan

An inhumane calibre for bird shooting,only really fit to shoot rats in a barn.Stick with your 20 bore for woodcock and snipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

hathcock wrote: »
    An inhumane calibre for bird shooting,only really fit to shoot rats in a barn.Stick with your 20 bore for woodcock and snipe.

I'd agree with this. A friend had one in the family and I wouldn't shoot a rat with one. 20 bore ideal for an experienced shot who wants more of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

The father has one he uses it only for rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

fair play lads thanks.any shoot a 28 guage

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

I had an old bolt action .410 about 15 years ago... never once raised it to a bird in flight. Had it for rats around the yard , thats all it was able for and dispatching birds in the larsens ! I honestly wouldnt bother with a 28g either , if you dont want a 12g go for a 20g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

The 410.Great for rats,jackdaws and other small vermin especially MINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Total rubbish. The cartridges for .410s have moved on dramatically compared to 15 years ago. My uncle uses a .410 for woodcock shooting but I wouldn't recommend it for short distance shooting as it needs a little time to spread.

The 28 bore has the best pattern of any bore due to it throwing a square pattern. Cartridges are hard got in Ireland and usually more expensive. For small bird shooting the 28 bore is a super gun. Do some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

agree with you there it does need time to spread.

Anyone use a 20g for duck shooting?

I have shot a few ducks with a 20g but I wouldn't be a big duck shooter. It did kill no problem with the correct choke and a no 4 cartridge. I would imagine a 12g would be better due to better range of ammunition been available and heavier loads. Although sometimes a heavier load is not always the answer.

• Advertisement

i use a 20 gauge for ducks and everything else.lovely gun the same as a 12 gauge in performance might not suit for geese but thats it really.

The gun smith i go to uses the .410 for woodcock.its him that put the idea in my head. im swinging towards the 28 gauge.As for the 20 bore i use 25 gram 5s for duck great shell to be honest.

allan450 wrote: »
    i use a 20 gauge for ducks and everything else.lovely gun the same as a 12 gauge in performance might not suit for geese but thats it really.

Thanks, as a one gun man who does a fair bit of duck shooting I'd be probably better off with my 12, love the handling of a 20g though I have to say.

i do a serious amount of duck shooting also.20 gauge does the same job.its a tighter pattern so distances are the same.but if your into geese i wouldnt recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

shot pheasants over setters with a 410 no problem once you were close to dog and within 20 yards ,have a friend in france he tells me most woodcock hunters use a 410 or a 28 again this would be over setters and pointers in woodland,with the amount of woodcock around your country alan I would give it a go .

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

Ammunition prices for the 410 are ridiculous and not much selection either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I sarted out as a youngster with a single shot hammer folding 410.(A poachers shotgun )and I have shot everything from rats to geese to clays with this little gun.It can do these no problem if you know what you are doing and is a great teacher gun so you get to judge distances and shot travel.The day I shot three snipe on walk up was the day my father declared I could outshoot the gun and I was ready to move onto a 12 ga.
    It really is an experts gun and there are people out ther who just use this caliber for everything that flies.The French are famous for small calibre wing shooting.
    Dont knock it because it is small.It kills just as well as a 12 within its limits.If you are small statue it is a nice caliber to use and my better half uses it occasionally. You do need to practise alot with it more than a 12 to be proficient. So would I recommend it?If you have alot of time on your hands and have good reflexes and arent discouraged easily.Go for it.
    If you want a better than average chance of hitting woodcock with a light gauge.Get a little 20 gauge.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Get a 28 bore Allan if you can. The 410 cartridges are very hard to get in anything above a 6. Eley do a trap 410 in a 7 or 7 1/2 About a tener a box but I don't think there is 25 in a box! If money isn't a problem get a benelli 28 bore semi. Serious gun. If not buying a semi watch out that you don't buy a 28 bore built on a 20 bore action which is very common on cheaper guns. You don't get the benefit of the slimness and beauty of the 28 bore and would be as we'll of using a 20 bore.

Now what about a 16 bore. I have an aya 16 and it's a beaut. Their is also a Lincoln 16 bore for sale on the irish gun trader but that may be to close to your 20! Also I don't know what size action the Lincoln is built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Most lincons are on 16b action shells are a problem with a 16 very limited range to buy from.

blackpearl wrote: »
    Most lincons are on 16b action shells are a problem with a 16 very limited range to buy from.
    Ya I got 4,5,6 and 7 an that was it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Interesting topic, my experiences much the same as Grizzly 45. I used the same type of .410. No. 4 shot mostly on rabbits and did very well as a teenager.Often dropped bolting rabbits at 30 yards plus. I use a 12 bore now, something you do when you get older. I understand you can buy 12 bore ammo down to 20 grams, how would this compare with a 20 bore?ps I am 69 now so it was 50 + years ago, I was always told that a .410 tends to "ball" the shot making a tight pattern so you need to be very accurate.

Dai John wrote: »
    Interesting topic, my experiences much the same as Grizzly 45. I used the same type of .410. No. 4 shot mostly on rabbits and did very well as a teenager.Often dropped bolting rabbits at 30 yards plus. I use a 12 bore now, something you do when you get older. I understand you can buy 12 bore ammo down to 20 grams, how would this compare with a 20 bore?ps I am 69 now so it was 50 + years ago, I was always told that a .410 tends to "ball" the shot making a tight pattern so you need to be very accurate.

Ya ammo has moved in, they have special wads now that is like a double cup in 410 to stop this happening:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The newer 410,s are amazing what they can handle in 3or3.5 inch loads. Certainly pushing into light weight 20 ga capabilities but limited in availability here.My old gun will handle 2.5 inch shells max and what was mostly available here was 2 or 2.25 inch in Eley . Si not thw best ammo around.
    16 gauge is almost a standard continental gauge and is still very pouplar in Germany. Most pre war shotguns are 16 but for some reason it never travelled well to the uk .So that makes getting ammo for them abit of a chore as with the" ladies and youth gauges" of 20 24 and 28.The last one being almost extinct.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement