Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a home office. I need help!

Options
  • 12-01-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm returning to work from Mat leave in a few weeks and thank god will be working from home 90% of the time, so I need to set up a home office. We live in the sticks and have satellite broadband set up but we have no phone line or phone. Can anyone recommend the best business telephone. My main requirement is that it can work with a headset so I can roam around the house. most of my calls are international Conf call so a mobile is not suitable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

I'm returning to work from Mat leave in a few weeks and thank god will be working from home 90% of the time, so I need to set up a home office. We live in the sticks and have satellite broadband set up but we have no phone line or phone. Can anyone recommend the best business telephone. My main requirement is that it can work with a headset so I can roam around the house. most of my calls are international Conf call so a mobile is not suitable.

The packet loss or jitter with satellite broadband may mean that VOIP (internet phone calls) may not be an option.

You could use http://www.pingtest.net/ or some other broadband speed tester to determine if your broadband connection is suitable for VOIP.

The suitable VOIP provider options depend on the kind of calls you are making. If they are always to your employers con call facilities, they may already have a VOIP option.

I have not used blueface.ie, but I know of some small businesses that do without any complaints.

You could also look into viber, skype, or some skype alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Over satellite, forget voip, especially for business. Will never be stable enough to trust.

Try one of the fixed wireless operators

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NordieinDublin

Thanks both. I think you are right about the IP calls not being an option over satellite. All office phone are Cisco IP phones but no one ever uses the IP functionality. That said, I checked Amazon today to see if I could get the same one and it turns out they are 200 bucks! Any recommendations on the actual phone set?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could use a softphone. You can use them on Computers or tablets and I believe some smart phones as long as they have access to your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have you approached your IT department with the same query?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Unfortunately, most home offices don't have a dedicated IT department.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OP you need a decent pro grade phone with a PSTN port and a wireless headset. Get a fixed line in from eircom or other just for calls as your BB wont cut it.

BTW you may well spend 100E+ on this if you do it right, but if its whats bringing in your paycheque you dont wanna do it wrong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-Wireless-Convertable-Headset-Handset-Black/dp/B005HOTRVM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421104429&sr=8-2&keywords=plantronics+cordless+headset

That + a regular enough desk phone would do perfectly. Probably some cheaper options if you hunt around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Rabbo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, most home offices don't have a dedicated IT department.

Thanks for the smartarse reply.
    If the company you work for have an IT department and a mature work from home policy you'll probably find that IT have certain requirements and indeed may have certain features and products that you might be able to utilise in your home office. Worth checking with them.

Now apologies if you are just freelancing from home and dont actually work for a larger company as I had originally thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Advertisement

yuloni wrote: »

I know it wasn't.
    I used "you" referring to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

OP who is your Internet provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NordieinDublin

Thanks everyone. I've just been on eBay to pick up a phone and headset. Some great deals in there vs buying brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

lync

Advertisement