Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog seems to prefer outside to being in house

• 12-01-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

We adopted a collie X at the end of September, he's about 1 yr old. He was always an outside (ex-farm) dog. He has a kennel for sleeping in. When we got him first, he wouldn't come into our house at all. He gradually became happy to wander in and out, if we left our back door open, but really didn't like being closed in. He'd tolerate it for approx 10-20 mins, before wanting back out again. When the weather got v stormy in early Dec, we took him inside to sleep at night, we've a back hallway. He didn't bark/whine or come across as distressed, but afterwards he regressed into not coming in the door at all, and it has taken us about 3 weeks to get him back to letting us close the door for a (very) short amount of time.

So, the last few days it has turned colder. He still won't come in. I sat all day today with our back door open, and he wandered in and out, but showed no interest in staying inside. At 6.50 every night, he puts himself to bed in his kennel. If you go out and call him in, he'll come out of his kennel, have a look around, and go back into it again. My DH is away this week with work, and earlier on the phone I was saying I'd make the dog sleep inside, but now I can't get him in. He seems more comfortable outside in his kennel, (which is sheltered, and I put extra fleece blanket into tonight).

I just feel cruel, like the poor pup should be inside during a cold snap, but on other hand I realise that some dogs never sleep in a house.

Would you force him in? When I go out to him in the morning time, he is always warm and dry coming out of his kennel. I have a feeling that by the morning, he'll have fecked his blankets out too! Is it wrong to leave him outside if that's what he's used to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

He seems happy enough outside, I would probably let him stay that way. As you say he seems nice and warm in the morning, you could always insulate the kennel or throw some extra blankets in if you are worried though.

If keeping him inside is upsetting him then I wouldn't want to push it - you want him to trust you as much as possible. Some dogs genuinely prefer sleeping outside - our fella sleeps inside most nights but some evenings he decides he wants to stay out the back, and we let him, if he found it cold he wouldn't want to stay, especially when he knows there is a bed available for him inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Thank you for your post

Yeah, that's my gut feeling too. He's just happier out there, generally. A few friends have commented on how their dogs won't go outside in this weather, but he has never wanted to lie at the fire.

I just wasn't sure if I should let him lie out there, or was I meant to insist that he stayed in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wouldn't force the issue either OP... there are many tales of rescue dogs who were so used to being outside that they felt worried about coming inside in their new homes... but they got there in the end with time and patience. Some may never be entirely happy with being inside, but one way to confirm his insecurity is to force him in, and this will set any progress you've made way back.
    Keep going as you are, letting him come and go without locking him in at all for the next while. He should gradually build up his trust and feelings of safety in the house. You might start feeding him in the house, or at least feeding him very highly rewarding foods in the house, just to set up some positive associations with being in the house.
    Is he affectionate? Does he like cuddles and attention? If so, he should get more of this when he's inside.

He is very affectionate toward me and DH, but is more subdued indoors.
    Outside he is quite bouncy and enjoys jumping up and chasing his toys. Indoors, he's a little jumpy but will eventually sit on the floor beside me (as in, I am on the floor too), and will let me pet and cuddle and brush him. He'll give the paw, and let us rub his belly.
    He eats outside mostly, but I'll give him his dinner inside our back door if it's lashing rain. I have on occasion given him dinner inside the interior door, but he'll carry his dinner out to the back door and eat it off the mat.
    He's a work in progress! He has definitely improved loads since we got him, and he spends the day running around the garden (I work from home), but we really don't want to spook him or make him feel trapped so we're inclined to let him decide when he's comfortable to come indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

We have a collie the last 8 years, she is happy enough coming in doors for a few hours during the day, especially on wet or cold winter days. But there is no way she would stay in at night she likes to patrol the garden at night checking out any sounds etc.

With regards to worrying about a collie in cold weather, generally there is no need once they have a clean, dry kennel, alot of collies tend to have a 2 layered coat, often with a thick undercoat.

• Advertisement

With regards to worrying about a collie in cold weather, generally there is no need once they have a clean, dry kennel, alot of collies tend to have a 2 layered coat, often with a thick undercoat.

You have no idea how relieved I am to read that... can you tell this is our first dog? :o We've got so attached to him, and I'd hate if we were inadvertently doing wrong by leaving him out.

His coat has got a lot thicker in the last couple of months, don't know if that's a winter thing, or because of his age? Or just a coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs that spend most (all) of the time outside usually have a much denser winter coat than those that don't. They actually are uncomfortable sleeping in heated rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Our neighbours have a collie that they took in from a deceased neighbour. She's a lovely dog, friendly and affectionate but like your dog, OP she's used to being out and just doesn't want to come inside at night. She'll wander in and out of their house in the daytime but at night she's away to her kennel. They have a shed and the kennel's inside there and the dog is warm and cosy.

Not like our own two wimps who will shrink right down in their bed in this bad weather, in the hope we won't notice them and make them go out for a walk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

OP, Sounds very much like my Norwegian Elkhound.

He absolutely hates being inside, although my German Shepard and boxer love it inside.

My lad just patrols around and sleeps in his kennel, seems very content. I insulated the kennel well for him to make it cosy.

Just a small point, I always make plenty of time to sit or play with him everyday to make sure he feels part of the family.

He gets a lot of playing, so hopefully he's settling in well with us. I go out to him frequently during the day for a throw of his frisbee and a chat. Then at lunch time we either play or go for a short walk. DH does the longer walks, as he's too strong for me over a long distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

coughdrops wrote: »
    He gets a lot of playing, so hopefully he's settling in well with us. I go out to him frequently during the day for a throw of his frisbee and a chat. Then at lunch time we either play or go for a short walk. DH does the longer walks, as he's too strong for me over a long distance.
    If you find him too strong you should try one of the front clipping harnesses it works well on our collie. Basically if they start to pull the harness it starts to turn them around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halti-Body-Harness-Black-Medium/dp/B003GD2A5Q/ref=sr_1_1/275-9835841-6930111?ie=UTF8&qid=1421102907&sr=8-1&keywords=halti+body+harness

So, we woke up to snow. Poor pup hasn't seen snow before, he wasn't sure what to make of it. But,when I went out to him he was toasty warm, and had left his extra blankets inside the kennel. He's either shredding them, or using them as a bed, as I'd hoped (my guess is on shredding!). He has access to our back hallway, if he wants to come inside and his kennel. His food and water are inside the back door so he can get to them. Thanks for your advice, if he starts to shiver or act distressed outside today, I'll coax (drag) him into the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

He honestly sounds happy OP. Millions of Irish farm dogs have been kept outside over the years and as long as they have somewhere warm at night (shed, barn, kennel) they are perfectly comfortable. Our collie only ever came inside at Halloween or when she got old. A young dog like yours should be fine, his kennel sounds toasty and he has access to the back hallway. You could put another bed there too if you are worried.

He has a dog bed, which he refuses to get into. He will lie beside it and chew the edges off it. Or he drags it outside and throws it around the place, like a giant toy. Don't really know how he manages that, as it's bloody heavy and I can't move it that easily myself! Anyway, he has his blanket in the hallway, plenty of bedding in the kennel, and (I think) knows he can come into the kitchen when he wants to.

Thanks again for all the reassurance and advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, I rescued a ex-farm Collie. I had him 17 years. He was the gentlest dog you could find. But in 17 years, I could NOT get him indoors - ever. He would freak, even though he trusted me 100%, he just couldnt get over whatever phobia/inbred reluctance that he had. Granted when he came to us a bit older than your collie. A farm dog/collie that is bred as an outdoor dog usually prefers to be outdoors. If he is well fed, healthy, has a nice warm bed that is draught free and dry, I would let him choose where he prefers to be. As you say, he has improved since you got him, so who knows if he will eventually be happy to be indoors, but I would definitely not force him to do anything that could cause stress/anxiety. Give him a particular little treat every time he comes in the house, so he associates it with nice things! You only have him a few months - progress has been made, keep taking things slowly and let him set the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

He has a dog bed, which he refuses to get into. He will lie beside it and chew the edges off it. Or he drags it outside and throws it around the place, like a giant toy. Don't really know how he manages that, as it's bloody heavy and I can't move it that easily myself! Anyway, he has his blanket in the hallway, plenty of bedding in the kennel, and (I think) knows he can come into the kitchen when he wants to.

Thanks again for all the reassurance and advice

Oh bless him OP, he's probably never had a bed before, never been let inside before, do you know any of his history? Did you get him from a rescue or the pound?

There is a great thing called a heat pad you can get, it's like a hot water bottle for dogs but without any water in it, you heat it up in the microwave and it stays warm for hours, you can get them on Zooplus, I was looking after my in-laws collie last year and he was an outside dog so I got him a heat pad (along with bedding etc) which was great. Also I saw some waterproof dog beds in Homestore and More yesterday (they also have a website) which are great if they want to throw them around on the ground outside, they're soft cushion-ey beds with a waterproof cover, I would deffo buy one if the in-laws collie was still around.

I think as others have said, take it slow and don't force him inside if he's not comfortable, sounds like you're making good progress, collies are such sweeties I hate the way they're overbred and treated in this country.

He came to us via the original owner's relation, I think he wasn't a great worker so they didn't have much use for him and he spent most of his time tied up. The relation took him (felt bad for him), and we got him next. He was about 9 months at that stage.
    Poor pup didn't know if he was coming or going for a while. He gets awful car sick, think he reckons he's being moved again every time he goes into a car. So that's the next thing we need to work on, but going to leave it until nights get brighter. The few times we've driven him to the beach, he's puked, but loved the beach... so have to work on reinforcing the fact that car = good times!

Checked on him a while ago and he has his blankets squished up like a nest all around him and is inside the kennel chewing away on a toy. And I am sat like a tool with door open for him.

I'll look out for the waterproof beds and heat pads, might be the way to go! Pimp out his kennel to make me feel better :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I've seen the same thing happen with a neighbour's dog. Again, it's a collie on a farm. She has always been kept outside. I walk her and I used to try to take her into our house for example if she needed towelling and drying after a walk in bad weather or even just to feed/medicate her and she would sort of panic a little. She'd go down on her belly for some reason and just wanted to get back outside again :( She will just about tolerate the barn so that when it is very cold, I ask them to leave her in there overnight as it is shelteredand has hay etc. Like other posters said, not much you can do if he is happy there, you know your boy better than anyone else, and it seems he knows his own mind too! :) I'd echo other posters re insulating and blankets etc. I got a duvet for less than 15 euro in Guineys for the girl :) Also, there are insulated kennels that you can get (is it "Igloo" or something?) but they are pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Let him have his warm nest outside and it will be easier to goad him inside for family time if he knows he can always retreat! Looks like he's eager to have his own safe spot after all the changes and he's telling you he wants it outdoors.

If you're worried about the cold, try a strong hot water bottle and you can buy a heat pad if he likes it.

I saw this post on my threads earlier - couldn't believe it was from 5 years ago.

Anyway, a small update on our fella. After about 2 years he moved in with my dad when we had to move for work. Trust me, we were so so gutted to leave him, but he is an outdoor dog, he LOVES my dad, and we couldn't move him into a flat in the city. He never improved with coming into our house.

The last few years he has thrived. He and dad are best buddies, each ensuring the other gets a walk most days. Dad has a massive garden and all the time in the world for him. He now sleeps indoors every night, in Dad's kitchen, and has become a total in-front-of-the-fire dog. He still has his big kennel outside and uses that during the day, in between patrolling his lawn. We visit often and the pair of them are doing great.

Dunno if anyone who helped me at the start will see this, but thanks again for all your advice. He is such a family fixture now, I'd say Dad would be hard pushed to pick his favourite "kid"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I saw this post on my threads earlier - couldn't believe it was from 5 years ago.

Anyway, a small update on our fella. After about 2 years he moved in with my dad when we had to move for work. Trust me, we were so so gutted to leave him, but he is an outdoor dog, he LOVES my dad, and we couldn't move him into a flat in the city. He never improved with coming into our house.

The last few years he has thrived. He and dad are best buddies, each ensuring the other gets a walk most days. Dad has a massive garden and all the time in the world for him. He now sleeps indoors every night, in Dad's kitchen, and has become a total in-front-of-the-fire dog. He still has his big kennel outside and uses that during the day, in between patrolling his lawn. We visit often and the pair of them are doing great.

Dunno if anyone who helped me at the start will see this, but thanks again for all your advice. He is such a family fixture now, I'd say Dad would be hard pushed to pick his favourite "kid"

Dont be silly. He's pick the dog

dashoonage wrote: »
    Dont be silly. He's pick the dog

without a doubt! :D

Advertisement