Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of contract query

Options
  • 12-01-2015 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Anyone have any knowledge on a fixed term contract coming to an end??
    Can't seem to find the right info online!!
    Basically I want to leave my job soon .
    I have been there almost a year and my fixed term contract is ending in two weeks.
    So, can I leave at this point ?
    Is there any minimum notice when the contract is due to end anyway?
    I have not been asked to sign a new contract nor has it even been mentioned.
    Thanks in advance if anyone can help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi all,
    Anyone have any knowledge on a fixed term contract coming to an end??
    Can't seem to find the right info online!!
    Basically I want to leave my job soon .
    I have been there almost a year and my fixed term contract is ending in two weeks.
    So, can I leave at this point ?
    Is there any minimum notice when the contract is due to end anyway?
    I have not been asked to sign a new contract nor has it even been mentioned.
    Thanks in advance if anyone can help :)

Your contract should have a clause indicating notice of termination. If you have not been asked to remain there, you can assume that you will be finished when your contract ends. Typically one weeks notice is customary when employed for less than a year but most employers appreciate 2-4 weeks. For the sake of the last 2 weeks, it may be worth holding on and getting a good reference, if you walk tomorrow without giving notice, then probably no reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭lauraelaine

Hi
    Thanks a lot for the reply!
    Yea my contract does state 4 weeks notice when leaving
    However I was just wondering since I have two weeks left on my contract (says on my contract until the 26th of jan)
    Can I just let them know this week that I will be finishing when my contract ends?
    As in would I still need to give four weeks notice and work two weeks after my contract if you know what I mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi
    Thanks a lot for the reply!
    Yea my contract does state 4 weeks notice when leaving
    However I was just wondering since I have two weeks left on my contract (says on my contract until the 26th of jan)
    Can I just let them know this week that I will be finishing when my contract ends?
    As in would I still need to give four weeks notice and work two weeks after my contract if you know what I mean??

Yes - but do it ASAP - as in 1st thing tomorrow - they may:

- make you a better offer to stay

- need to find someone else

BOL!

Advertisement