Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Top Gear

• 12-01-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

VERY young Jeremy :o 4.01 14/9 :confused:

3.15 in, 'We have to test the handling off the public road' - SOOO 'correct' :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bring back old top gear. There isn't a good general motorong programme on for many years now. Even 5th gear went down the dumbass jackass route to chase clarkson/hammond/may top gear.

Get quentin wilson back an all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Tiff was the man, you could sense his enthusiasm when he was driving a car he liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Bring back old top gear. There isn't a good general motorong programme on for many years now. Even 5th gear went down the dumbass jackass route to chase clarkson/hammond/may top gear.

Get quentin wilson back an all.

A man who knows his stuff when it comes to cars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Silvera wrote: »
    A man who knows his stuff when it comes to cars!

A man convicted of clocking cars.

Quentin is full of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think the new top gear was decent in the early years when they still focused on actual cars and the challenges had some modicum of sense in them. Now its completely disappeared up its own arse and is more like a hollywood event movie than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

ba_barabus wrote: »
    A man convicted of clocking cars.

Quentin is full of ****.

Really?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah I heard that before. Apparently he used to sell second hand cars before he became a motoring journo and he has a conviction for selling clocked cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Remember buying a trade R5 with high mileage, went to clock it back and found someone else had got there before me :rolleyes:

Capri wrote: »
    Remember buying a trade R5 with high mileage, went to clock it back and found someone else had got there before me :rolleyes:

I don't know which is worse :D

• Advertisement

You can clock cars legally, you can even sell clocked cars legally afaik

The only thing you can't do is sell a clocked car as unclocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A few misdemeanors in the dim and distant.

We could do with him on again fawning over mid 90s mercs and the sleeper newtimers few consider.

We could do with him on again fawning over mid 90s mercs and the sleeper newtimers few consider.
    The thing is sadly these shows just don't appeal. There are some great cars shows that focus on the cars and forget the bling (Chasing Classic cars)but most move in that direction eventually (Wheeler Dealers).

I think if you want good informative car information the internet is the best place and even then it takes a while to find it.

Capri wrote: »

His MG6 review was far from being objective. He was paid to give a glowing review.

His Delorean documentary was also far from being unbiased.

Don't get me wrong, I'd sit and listen to him but he isn't the great car guy he likes to present himself as.

He'll never be LJKS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

None of the current crop come close to LJKS, for instance that monumental tit Clarkson isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence ....

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    None of the current crop come close to LJKS, for instance that monumental tit Clarkson isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence ....

Clarksons actual car knowledge is fine but he plays to the masses. The man is highly intelligent but works for the bottom line.

However, he is not LJKS. Nobody comes close these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Clarksons actual car knowledge is fine but he plays to the masses. The man is highly intelligent but works for the bottom line.

However, he is not LJKS. Nobody comes close these days.

I would imagine if he had presented a car show on TV, most people would have turned off within seconds. What people want these days is entertainment, not cold hard facts about how superior is the Bristol Motor Car.
    Setright may have had a vast knowledge of cars and motoring history, but I'd say he would have been boring to all but a tiny percentage.
    Say for argument sake that the next Top Gear episode was a review of a few new models, the latest family Ford, a shiny Hyundai, facelifted Dacia and just for balance, a Van !!
    I'd give it a week before it was pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

swarlb wrote: »
    I would imagine if he had presented a car show on TV, most people would have turned off within seconds. What people want these days is entertainment, not cold hard facts about how superior is the Bristol Motor Car.
    Setright may have had a vast knowledge of cars and motoring history, but I'd say he would have been boring to all but a tiny percentage.
    Say for argument sake that the next Top Gear episode was a review of a few new models, the latest family Ford, a shiny Hyundai, facelifted Dacia and just for balance, a Van !!
    I'd give it a week before it was pulled.

I would have to agree with you that LJK Setright might be found boring by some. I always enjoyed reading his articles in particular his love of Bristol cars.

I enjoyed old Top Gear, they had some fantastic programmes like this one covering the 80th anniversary of the Alpine Trial;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQcUyXRWX-Q

• Advertisement

Advertisement