Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Westin Afternoon Tea

Options
  • 12-01-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to take my mother to the Westin for afternoon tea before we go to the theatre on Saturday but they're booked up, I'm on the waiting list but I'm not holding my breath. Is there any other afternoon-tea type thing in the city centre that I could take her to? We'll be going to the Abbey Theatre afterward and she has mobility problems so it would need to be as close to the Abbey as possible.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Clearys do afternoon tea in their tearooms restaurant on the first floor. I've gone there with my elderly aunt and she loves it. The tables are set up restaurant style. It's not armchairs and sofas, the way that a lot of places that do afternoon are. But while the afternoon tea seating vibe may not be there, we find the set up more practical & comfortable for eating food, as you aren't always leaning forward or down to get to your foot. My aunt also prefers the hard backed chairs that support her back better. The grub is good. It doesn't have the wow factor that the likes of the Westin or Gresham do, but it doesn't have the wow prices either.

http://www.clerys.ie/media/pdf/Afternoon-Tea-Breakfast-card.pdf

Edit - Just seen from that link that Dorans restaurants seem to have taken over the tea rooms. They still do an afternoon tea, but we haven't been there since they became part of the set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Why not check out the Westbury's version - it's a similarly spectacular setting with high standards... or the Shelbourne's always feels wonderfully historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for the ideas, I'll get phoning around and see if I can get a reservation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Booking to drink tea and eat a scone? Mother of christ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

The merrion one is just amazing. Fully recommend it though it is a few hours long so make sure you make time

Why don't you pop along to the Merrion Hotel or the Shelbourne some afternoon? After you have coughed up your 40 smackers for Art Tea and what not, get back to us about it being just drinking tea and eating "a" scone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Conrad Hotel on Earlsfort terrace does a nice afternoon tea too.

You could get the 14 or 15 bus from almost directly across the road from the Conrad to Eden quay, just around the corner from the Abbey to save her walking far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why don't you pop along to the Merrion Hotel or the Shelbourne some afternoon? After you have coughed up your 40 smackers for Art Tea and what not, get back to us about it being just drinking tea and eating "a" scone.

Is jam and cream included when I spend €40?

No. They are a tenner extra. Each ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OP, my sister and her friend went to the Morrison recently for afternoon tea and said it was nice. I don't know if it has the wow factor of the more grand hotels but it has been refurbished recently and is close to the Jervis Luas stop so you could pop on the Luas down to the Abbey afterwards.

Actually, in a similar thread of thought maybe check out the Spencer Dock Hotel or the Gibson?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Westin one is very impressive, much more than just a scone.

It looks like the Mammy and I will be heading to the Porterhouse after all that. Between not being able to get a reservation and pedestrian menus it's looking like the better option.

Advertisement