Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inventory

Options
  • 12-01-2015 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

So fingers crossed I'll be renting out my gaffe and moving to pastures new. I wondered what I should leave in a furnished apartment. I've had several people tell me not to leave a telly. Do you leave things like knives and forks etc? I'm leaving pots and pans as it's a convection hob.

-Kitchen is well speced: Washer/dryer, dishwasher, waste disposal unit etc.
    -Bookcase, TV stand, Sofa, Coffee table, dining room table
    -Bed, built in wardrobe, might leave a locker but it doesn't really fit in the room properly.
    -Bathroom is getting a makeover, some of the old tiles replaced, resealed etc. Cracked sink we said we'd replace when we moved in in 2006 and never bothered :pac:
    -Whole place painted.

Anything I'm forgetting? Thank in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Some tenants will have all their own stuff, others wont even have a mug for tea. Ask them what they want and what they dont want in general terms. Then take the unwanted items with you. You could always bring any good eg cutlery with you and eeplace it with argos stuff. For me, i always had my own kithenwares and didnt really like the idea of using someone elses stuff long term. But im sure other people will complain if there isnt a potato peeler etc.

Kitchen table, chairs and a mattress as well maybe?

Also, in a wierd way, leaving a mop bucket brush and pan might encourage messy tennants to wash the floors etc.

Also, I gotta ask, is the "waste disposal unit" just a bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I forgot to ask if we leave a hoover or should the tenant get this?

No, lol, it's a garbage disposal, whirly thing in the sink. How the feck I got by without one for years I don't know - great for quickly disposing of smelly food without having to trapse down to the bins at 11pm!

Oh yes new mattress, chairs and old dining room table.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If hardwood floors dont bother with a hoover, otherwise chuck one in. Or just wait to see if they ask for one.

So where does the food go to after its been ground up? Into the waste water pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'd leave a hoover. Dead handy even with wood floors. Not to mention for sofa, mats and rugs.

If hardwood floors dont bother with a hoover, otherwise chuck one in. Or just wait to see if they ask for one.

So where does the food go to after its been ground up? Into the waste water pipe?

Yep. You're gonna quote build regs at me now aren't you? :pac:

• Advertisement

Yep. You're gonna quote build regs at me now aren't you? :pac:

No, i was thinking more of charlie and the choclate factory where veruca salt is sucked throgh a tube and, presumably, is ground up ibto small pieces and fed to the ompa loompas.

But I suppose its probably nothing like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Dr.Teeth

it's a garbage disposal, whirly thing in the sink. How the feck I got by without one for years I don't know - great for quickly disposing of smelly food without having to trapse down to the bins at 11pm
    Are they allowed? unlike America our waste water disposal system does not cope well as a food bin.
    Rats must be halfway up to your apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I forgot to ask if we leave a hoover or should the tenant get this?

No, lol, it's a garbage disposal, whirly thing in the sink. How the feck I got by without one for years I don't know - great for quickly disposing of smelly food without having to trapse down to the bins at 11pm!

Oh yes new mattress, chairs and old dining room table.

Dont move or buy stuff until you find out what your tenant has or needs I think really. Dont leave anything you would be annoyed if they didnt treat it like you would expect. TV's mattresses anything, if they have their own, let them use certain items. It can be convenient not to be moving stuff if you already have it though otherwise you'll be adding on cost of storage of items which may work out more than replacement costs, just dont expect them to have the same wear you'd put on them yourself. TV is an absolutely unnecessary item to leave unless this is a higher end letting or is already fitted in, even then Id consider adding on an extra deposit for luxury items.
    Pretty much inventory everything, as much as it sounds trivial at the idea of replacing knives and forks, it adds up if you have to replace everything at once that might go on an inventory.
    Dr.Teeth wrote: »
    Are they allowed? unlike America our waste water disposal system does not cope well as a food bin.

I dont know if they as items are dissallowed specifically, but I didnt think it was well considered to be grinding up food and putting it down the sewer waste, from a waste disposal perspective environmentally it puts less strain on the foul water system and processing that here, maybe its the potential for blockages or maybe its to limit rats or both? so few do it ID say that it probably makes little difference, if everyone was, it'd be a different story. Its more environmentally sound to compost it, but from a letting perspective its actually probably a benefit. As its an apartment, does the complex prohibit this? what if it is the cause of problems before it gets to the public waste pipes, ie blockage in the apartment block piping? did they come fitted? I assume not as you say you dont know how you managed before.

Dr.Teeth wrote: »

No issues so far and it's been in there for two years. No issues on the regular pest control reports. Hyperbole me thinks.

cerastes wrote: »
    Its more environmentally sound to compost it, but from a letting perspective its actually probably a benefit. As its an apartment, does the complex prohibit this? what if it is the cause of problems before it gets to the public waste pipes, ie blockage in the apartment block piping? did they come fitted? I assume not as you say you dont know how you managed before.

Ironically enough the compost bins were blocked (or recommended to be blocked) by the pest control company. They're not specifically disallowed.

As in the above post no issues after 2 years, I suspect it might be an issue if everyone had one, having said that if you'll excuse the comparison, it's the consistency of very loose diarrhea so I can't really see it fouling anything.

• Advertisement

Ironically enough the compost bins were blocked (or recommended to be blocked) by the pest control company. They're not specifically disallowed.

As in the above post no issues after 2 years, I suspect it might be an issue if everyone had one, having said that if you'll excuse the comparison, it's the consistency of very loose diarrhea so I can't really see it fouling anything.

I tend to agree with you, the consistency of tenant behaviour is much looser :(:pac::confused:, probably same for owners too though. Communal use facilities here seem to have a "people cant give a flying rats arse mentality" so compost bins would may present a problem, thats why I mentioned that from a tenant point of view it might be a plus. Its probably the council that doesnt want to have the excess waste to treat, as they are treating waste, cant see how they dont produce something useful out of it all, but on the scale it occurs here, no problems Id say and overall an advantage for the reason you mentioned (pest control). I was just speculating about possible problems. Id say grease/fat is a bigger problem for drains anyway, the rest might be scare stuff by councils to limit their costs to treat foul waste material and as we are I believe signed up to environmentally disposing stuff, great in theory (I agree with it and do it myself in my home) but in communal living, to expect owners even but tenants to do it, just doesnt seem to work here. example I use, paper waste bin at apartment complex someone I knew used to live in, microwaves and armchairs in there too, you cant contend with that, the way things are run here.

Inventory everything in my opinion, no matter how trivial, on paper and pictures, its a digital/paper trail, no concern if a few forks go missing, or the odd plate or glass is broken, but if everything is damaged or it shows a consistent trend to damage it may help any case you may have in the future. Id see what the tenant has too, they may prefer to use certain of their own items, but that may not suit you for other reasons (storage/moving it as I mentioned above).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BenIrishHome

So fingers crossed I'll be renting out my gaffe and moving to pastures new. I wondered what I should leave in a furnished apartment. I've had several people tell me not to leave a telly. Do you leave things like knives and forks etc? I'm leaving pots and pans as it's a convection hob.

-Kitchen is well speced: Washer/dryer, dishwasher, waste disposal unit etc.
    -Bookcase, TV stand, Sofa, Coffee table, dining room table
    -Bed, built in wardrobe, might leave a locker but it doesn't really fit in the room properly.
    -Bathroom is getting a makeover, some of the old tiles replaced, resealed etc. Cracked sink we said we'd replace when we moved in in 2006 and never bothered :pac:
    -Whole place painted.

Anything I'm forgetting? Thank in advance!

Mark,

From my experience, wait til you get the tenants you like and decide what you trust them with. If you're not taking the tv with you then might as well leave it if they want it. Make sure you get a good reliable tenant and then you should get it all back in one piece.

Re: Hoover - yes leave it, leave as many cleaning products as you can so it encourages them to clean regularly!

What sort of apartment and where is it? (Just in terms of what ideal tenants you will get).
    Young couple is obviously the best bet, single girls can make just as much a mess as single boys. A few old couples, downsizers or divorcees around for apartments at the moment - they are the best!

Where are you of to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One thing to consider is that everything you supply needs to be repaired or replaced if something goes wrong. So if you supply a cheap hoover that breaks every six months, you'll need to replace it every six months. If they have nimble fingered student mates who empty the cutlery drawer every time there's a party, you'll be back to argos again to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

seamus wrote: »
    One thing to consider is that everything you supply needs to be repaired or replaced if something goes wrong. So if you supply a cheap hoover that breaks every six months, you'll need to replace it every six months. If they have nimble fingered student mates who empty the cutlery drawer every time there's a party, you'll be back to argos again to replace it.

I guess that would count as theft and be covered by insurance (maybe not depending on how the insurer sees it) but in that case, if I were a landlord I'd have a word with the tenants to replace any cutlery stolen by their 'nimble fingered student mates'.

If there's no consequences, what will they nick or damage next time? With consequences, there is at least the thought in the back of the tenants' minds that they are liable for what happens in the flat and control their 'friends'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If they have nimble fingered student mates who empty the cutlery drawer every time there's a party, you'll be back to argos again to replace it.

Ya - but the deposit will cover that.

OP, I'd say that the answer depends on what you will do with your stuff if you take it away, and what the rental target market is like.

Will you pay to put it into storage? May as well leave it there.

Do you mind if it gets broken? Tenants may not attach the same sentimental value to your granny's antique dresser as you do. So take it away.

Target market: Are you hoping for foreign professionals re-locating here who will appreciate the not having to get stuff? Leave it, including the TV. Students who probably don't appreciate the value of stuff? Take it and let them figure out how to get their own. Etc.

No one-size-fits-all solution here.

I'd leave a hoover. Dead handy even with wood floors. Not to mention for sofa, mats and rugs.

Absolutely leave a vacuum cleaner, much easier and better for cleaning even wooden floors.
    I guess that would count as theft and be covered by insurance (maybe not depending on how the insurer sees it) but in that case, if I were a landlord I'd have a word with the tenants to replace any cutlery stolen by their 'nimble fingered student mates'.

If there's no consequences, what will they nick or damage next time? With consequences, there is at least the thought in the back of the tenants' minds that they are liable for what happens in the flat and control their 'friends'.

The excess wouldnt even get near, and why on earth would you go near insurance, let alone for what is effectively theft or inventoried items missing?
    Ya - but the deposit will cover that.

OP, I'd say that the answer depends on what you will do with your stuff if you take it away, and what the rental target market is like.

Will you pay to put it into storage? May as well leave it there.

Do you mind if it gets broken? Tenants may not attach the same sentimental value to your granny's antique dresser as you do. So take it away.

Target market: Are you hoping for foreign professionals re-locating here who will appreciate the not having to get stuff? Leave it, including the TV. Students who probably don't appreciate the value of stuff? Take it and let them figure out how to get their own. Etc.

No one-size-fits-all solution here.

So long as its on the inventory.

cerastes wrote: »
    The excess wouldnt even get near, and why on earth would you go near insurance, let alone for what is effectively theft or inventoried items missing?

Oh of course not. It's the only reason I could see it as the landlord's duty to replace the stolen cutlery.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm aware that it would all be covered by insurance, etc, I'm more thinking about what a pain in the hoop it would be to have to replace and/or keep track of it.

If you were going for short-term lettings of 3-6 months, then sticking in cutlery and utensils seems like a good idea. But for longer lettings I think most people will have most of that stuff already, or if not they'll go and buy it themselves. A couple of utensils - maybe a spatula, a serving spoon, a bottle opener and a peeler - along with a couple of pots and a frying pan, and if they want anything else they can get it themselves. These are the kinds of things you'd probably throw out and replace at the end of a 2-year tenancy anyway.

Just my 2c on it.

Thanks guys and gals!

There's nothing in the apartment that would be of any great sentimental value, I'm moving home so anything like that is going. I'm just really wondering what the basic standard is. For example I wouldn't have thought cutlery would be left but I stand corrected.

I suppose I'm trying to find out is it a case of 'just add food' or do people supply their own stuff usually?

Excellent point on asking the tenants - will do, I suppose I'm just trying to get the base line so I can say no if I'm asked for a souffle skillet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

It always surprises me how few landlords bother with a proper inventory list - in my experience anyways. I can only think of one apartment I lived in where I was given one.

I would itemise everything, and keep it as sparse as possible. If storage is an issue, consider doing a big clear-out and selling unnecessary items on Adverts etc. You might want to be generous and leave them a kitchen well-stocked with equipment, but say if for example the blender breaks a week in, you're responsible for repairing or replacing it. Most experienced tenants will have a lot of their own kitchen equipment anyways, so will only have to find somewhere to store yours.

What you do leave - keep it cheap and cheerful! As a tenant, if I broke or lost an item on the inventory, I'd only expect to need to replace it with a basic equivalent. So if you leave your John Rocha wineglasses and later discover that they were broken and replaced with Dunnes ones, you only really have yourself to blame for leaving them there!

Include literally everything in the list, and go through it with the tenants so that you can both sign it. When they move out in maybe a couple of years, it'll be hard for you to remember (for example) if there were any paintings on the walls, or how many knives and forks were left?

In terms of kitchen supplies - I would leave the microwave (or if it's a very expensive one, replace with cheaper version.) Ask if they need a kettle and toaster, and if so, I think it would be nice to buy new (cheap!) ones. Keep the presses bare - four dinner plates, four bowls, four mugs, four glasses, four knives/forks/spoons/teaspoons. One saucepan, one frying pan, one spatula. I'd be inclined to leave very little else! You will hopefully look for experienced tenants who will have a lot of those things themselves.

Don't leave any bedding, towels, etc, in my opinion - do leave mattress protectors on the beds, though! (But do ask at viewing if they want the mattresses left - some people are fussy about using their own - if so, have you somewhere to store the old ones? Or you could sell them.) Maybe leave a few clothes hangers.

It's definitely in your interest to provide cleaning supplies. And leave bins in the kitchen/bathrooms (it's one thing a lot of landlords don't actually seem to do, in my experience!) Leave hoover, sweeping brush and pan, etc.

Personally I wouldn't leave the TV. I've a feeling that if you did you'd be responsible for paying the licence (open to correction on that!)

Basically I'd be in favour of keeping it all as basic as possible, and specifically look for tenants who have been renting a long time and are likely to have a lot of their own things. I would actually much rather move into a very bare basic house and make it my own, than trying to find space to store someone else's things that I didn't need and weren't to my taste.

• Advertisement

I'm aware that it would all be covered by insurance, etc, I'm more thinking about what a pain in the hoop it would be to have to replace and/or keep track of it.

If you were going for short-term lettings of 3-6 months, then sticking in cutlery and utensils seems like a good idea. But for longer lettings I think most people will have most of that stuff already, or if not they'll go and buy it themselves. A couple of utensils - maybe a spatula, a serving spoon, a bottle opener and a peeler - along with a couple of pots and a frying pan, and if they want anything else they can get it themselves. These are the kinds of things you'd probably throw out and replace at the end of a 2-year tenancy anyway.

Just my 2c on it.

Short or long term let, just inventory it, a shorter term let would be worse as you'd be going over it sooner but may expect less stuff to have gone missing. If you dont mind putting it in and replacing everything, fine, but its much easier to keep track of if you create an inventory. Its probably only not done were people dont know or realise the benefit or they know the stuff is so cheap it doesnt matter. Still replacing a previously functional item thats 10 years old still costs its new cost at the time of replacement. Why would you throw these items out after 2 years? if its working, clean and functional? Ive items in my own kitchen that are probably 10 years old or older, other than myself.
    It always surprises me how few landlords bother with a proper inventory list - in my experience anyways. I can only think of one apartment I lived in where I was given one.

I would itemise everything, and keep it as sparse as possible. If storage is an issue, consider doing a big clear-out and selling unnecessary items on Adverts etc. You might want to be generous and leave them a kitchen well-stocked with equipment, but say if for example the blender breaks a week in, you're responsible for repairing or replacing it. Most experienced tenants will have a lot of their own kitchen equipment anyways, so will only have to find somewhere to store yours.

What you do leave - keep it cheap and cheerful! As a tenant, if I broke or lost an item on the inventory, I'd only expect to need to replace it with a basic equivalent. So if you leave your John Rocha wineglasses and later discover that they were broken and replaced with Dunnes ones, you only really have yourself to blame for leaving them there!

Include literally everything in the list, and go through it with the tenants so that you can both sign it. When they move out in maybe a couple of years, it'll be hard for you to remember (for example) if there were any paintings on the walls, or how many knives and forks were left?

In terms of kitchen supplies - I would leave the microwave (or if it's a very expensive one, replace with cheaper version.) Ask if they need a kettle and toaster, and if so, I think it would be nice to buy new (cheap!) ones. Keep the presses bare - four dinner plates, four bowls, four mugs, four glasses, four knives/forks/spoons/teaspoons. One saucepan, one frying pan, one spatula. I'd be inclined to leave very little else! You will hopefully look for experienced tenants who will have a lot of those things themselves.

Don't leave any bedding, towels, etc, in my opinion - do leave mattress protectors on the beds, though! (But do ask at viewing if they want the mattresses left - some people are fussy about using their own - if so, have you somewhere to store the old ones? Or you could sell them.) Maybe leave a few clothes hangers.

It's definitely in your interest to provide cleaning supplies. And leave bins in the kitchen/bathrooms (it's one thing a lot of landlords don't actually seem to do, in my experience!) Leave hoover, sweeping brush and pan, etc.

Personally I wouldn't leave the TV. I've a feeling that if you did you'd be responsible for paying the licence (open to correction on that!)

Basically I'd be in favour of keeping it all as basic as possible, and specifically look for tenants who have been renting a long time and are likely to have a lot of their own things. I would actually much rather move into a very bare basic house and make it my own, than trying to find space to store someone else's things that I didn't need and weren't to my taste.

I dont think you would be responsible for replacing a blender, you could say at the start that you'll leave a blender, but if it breaks via wear thats reasonable, theres no requirement to replace it. They could at that stage get their own, obviously leaving less of certain appliances is less hassle.

Also if an item was inventoried as a John Rocca glass, thats what you'd be expected to replace or have it deducted from your deposit, if you hadnt checked the lease and inventory and signed for that and a previous tenant had left a dunnes wine glass, you'd be replacing the john rocca really, it'd be hard for you to prove you didnt damage it especially if you signed the lease/inventory without checking it.

The idea of damaging something more expensive and replacing it with something as cheap as possible (john rocca wine glasses being an example however unlikely) is not realistic and is just an idea in peoples heads to get away with not reducing their deposit or paying out rightly and fairly for an item, like covering an iron burn on the carpet/ironing board or damage with a picture/poster. I dont think you'd sidestep that if a person that has an inventory checks it. They may let some items slide but a host of damage then needs to have it replaced or refunded at its cost to replace. Its not simply a matter of tough titty.

You are right, you would leave a microwave, believe it or not you have to by law. You could ask do they have a toaster and kettle, they probably do need them so that question might be moot, some people prefer to use their own, but you dont need to provide them. I agree a bare minimum of other utensils if people are used to renting they should have some.Its handy to have an old set to tide someone over till they get their own if they want though.

Built in Microwave so that's staying forgot to mention it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

So here's what I reckon and please let me know if I've missed anything.

Kitchen:

Washer/Dryer, Oven, Hob, Microwave, Kettle. - Condition Good (old toaster being left but not inventoried/replaced if breaks)
    4x Knife, Fork, Spoon, Teaspoon - Condition Fair
    4x Plate, Side plate, bowl - Condition Fair - will probably leave some old mugs.
    4x glasses (tumblers) Condition fair
    Assorted kitchen utensils - Condition Fair
    3 x saucepans + lids 1x Frying pan - Condition Fair
    Grill pan, oven tray - Condition fair
    Cutting board (will buy new one) Condition New

Living room

1x Couch + throw Condition Poor/Good
    1x Coffee table - Condition Poor
    1x TV/Entertainment Stand Condition Fair
    1x Bookcase Condition Good
    1x Dining Table Condition Fair
    4x Chairs Condition New

Bedroom

1x Double bed Condition New
    1x Mattress (optional) - Condition New
    (Built in Wardrobes inc drawers) Condition Good

As for the TV won't be leaving that as is it's one those things that someone would expect replaced if it broke. I think you folks are right on bedding - won't be leaving any of that.

Remember to record the condition of each item on the inventory. New, good, fair, poor, and any material defects. As an example, I have a glass dining room table and in my inventory it is listed as "good condition - scratched". This was covered where the landlord showed the scratch on the table when going through the inventory list.

I'm not sure on what the standard list in Ireland includes but my inventory (UK) also records the condition of the fittings too, e.g. paint, carpets, everything down to the doormats and the state of the cupboard the gas meter is in.

I'll be taking photos of everything and also supplying copies (digitally) to the tenant, although I'll also be telling them to take their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

dont leave toaster tv video kitchen ware etc .. unless you dont want to bring with you... and in that case have it written down if it breaks they look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We just moved into a new house in October, but bought all our own kitchenware with us. There were a few plates, glasses & cutlery items in the house but we bought all our own delph, utensils, pots, pans, kettle, toaster, blenders, coffee machine etc with us. We have a full compliment of kitchenware and I wouldn't really want to use anything left behind by the landlord/previous tenant. The kitchen did come with a microwave (fitted), otherwise we own everything else.

In terms of other furniture, have a chat with your chosen tenants on what they would like to keep - we kept the sofa and a long coffee table from the previous tenant, but the remainder of the stuff was taken by the landlord. The landlord did leave a hoover, but to be honest, it was weak and useless, so we bought a Dyson (which will come with us when we move).

It's probably best to rent to long-term renters (i.e. people who built up their own household contents and won't need much from you).

The idea that landlords have to provide a microwave is stupid and is in law.the state some people have left them in,most not being fitted it makes more ssense for a tenant to have and use their own,more hygienic too.

Advertisement