Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will you do differently next Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don't seem to have posted in this last year...

Next year, what I would really love, is to go away with just me and my GF to the US for Christmas. Somewhere really cold, with snow. Hire a cabin and light fires and then do some travelling, and catch a football game when I'm over there.

That won't happen. I'd love to have my family over for Christmas dinner- again that won't happen.

I don't know what changes I'd actually make that I CAN make. You know? Lots of things at Christmas these days are totally out of my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I don't know what changes I'd actually make that I CAN make. You know? Lots of things at Christmas these days are totally out of my control.

I know the feeling. I found if I set my hopes too high it ruined the festive period for me because I was so disappointedif it didn't work out. So now it's the little things that I change that make yhe biggest difference. For instance maybe making sure me and mr glitz sit down on tree night when kids go to bed with a glass of wine and watch a film. To make time to do that and not be sidetracked my life in general. Prehaps you could look at things you and your GF can do together that would mean a lot. You'd be surprised the huge impact little things can have on you :)

I'm going to be realistic and say I've given up asking for Mr glitz to help with tbe christmas deco so instead of waiting I'm just doing to put mine up early this year over a day or two so I have longer to enjoy them :)

I also would really like to do the jar with the bits of paper of what we enjoyed during the year etc and open it on new years eve. :) and to be really soppy this year on new years myself and mr glitz had a nice little "review " for want of a better word of our relationship and talked about where we could have done better or little changes we could make to remind us not to let life get in the way and to take time out to nearly "date " again .

For Christmas itself I have pretty much got all the traditions I can handle but may try make some homemade decorations that we can keep for the kids this year as they grow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Save money earlier and have all the shopping done at least two weeks before so I can enjoy the run-up to Christmas instead of panic buying. The run-up is the best part!

Take at least the 24th off work if not the 23rd aswell.

Make my own nut roast instead of cooking shíte tofurky rubbish that ends up in the bin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    So now it's the little things that I change that make the biggest difference. For instance maybe making sure me and mr glitz sit down on tree night when kids go to bed with a glass of wine and watch a film. To make time to do that and not be sidetracked my life in general. Prehaps you could look at things you and your GF can do together that would mean a lot. You'd be surprised the huge impact little things can have on you :)

This is the best advice. I found the same, some of my favourite memories from Christmas just gone is taking a step back and taking time with herself and enjoying the moment. Like a quiet night in with a meal and bottle of wine and just relax and enjoy it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm going to make Christmas dinner for my parents and siblings in my house. Mom has been making it for nearly 40 years. I think a change would be nice :D I've a lot to live up to, so I'm practicing already. I made a spiced beef the other day. Bonus sandwiches ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think next year I am going to try a get a few days at home in our own house, just the three of us, and go nowhere, do nothing except watch tv, spend time together. I found this year, with the way Christmas fell, we were either in my parents or his, and the days that we weren't we had to go somewhere to visit or do something. The only day over the whole week and a half we were off that we spent at home was last Sunday!

Also next year I will get into the Christmas build up a bit more. I'm one of those people who doesn't like when Christmas starts too early, but I found I hadn't much free time before Christmas to get stuff done this time, even trying to fit in Christmas shopping. I'm going to get my shopping done much earlier next year and leave the week or two before Christmas free to enjoy the build up.

Also Christmas just passed we weren't expecting to have Santa, little Sunny Dayz is 11 but we just got it. Not banking on Santa for next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I will not stand in front of Santa shaped dishes and decide against buying them because of the price. I'm definitely getting some next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I am going to a European Christmas market next December for a stens, can't wait!

I will not stand in front of Santa shaped dishes and decide against buying them because of the price. I'm definitely getting some next year.

Lol toto ! Have you tired woodies normally mid December they offer 70% off. I've picked up some really nice pricy bits there in their mid December sales before :)

• Advertisement

I will have it somewhere warm and sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We are going to stay home xmas day and just cook for ourselves. None of this family demanding to see us on teh day. One side well visit xmas eve for a few hours, the other stephens day. I want to actually enjoy xmas without the constant sitting in the car and making stupid conversation with the same people 3/4 days in a row.

Now I have a little less than a year to figure out how to make a xmas dinner worth eating......

Now I have a little less than a year to figure out how to make a xmas dinner worth eating......

lots of time for trial runs ! and some great tips on some of the baking cooking threads here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I have said it a couple of times that I would like to finish up work earlier than the 23rd I will definitely try and make it happen, I would like to enjoy some Christmas films at home all cosy in the run up to it all I only managed love actually this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

We went to see Christmas Films in the Maratime Museum Dun Laoghaire - watching Its A Wonderful Life in a converted Church on almost Christmas Eve - THEN I actually felt it was nearly Chrisymas. I'll definately be doing that next year again - & with some hot port!
    Really special athmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We went to see Christmas Films in the Maratime Museum Dun Laoghaire - watching Its A Wonderful Life in a converted Church on almost Christmas Eve - THEN I actually felt it was nearly Chrisymas. I'll definately be doing that next year again - & with some hot port!
    Really special athmosphere

Oh wow, sounds coool.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd really hoped to do extra special activities for each of the 12 days of Christmas ending with an old fashioned Twelfthnight party on the 5th. But I came down with a nasty cold and sinus infection after New Years and just didn't have the energy to make the last few days super special and I definitely wasn't going to have a party. I think I also realised that I just don't have the energy to have a party that will consist of lots of toddlers/young children in my house so soon after the massive influx of toys that Christmas brings. So I have a vague idea that next year I'm going to organise a Twelfthnight party but find some other venue.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm gonna say mine would be to not give up so easily when it comes to dragging my OH into the christmas spirit! Unfortunately he's a bit of a grinch and every year I say "this is the year I'm going to convert you !" Hasn't happened quiet yet so I need to be a bit more persistent I think ;)

So was he converted this year? The Toy Show must have worked some magic?

iguana wrote: »
    So was he converted this year? The Toy Show must have worked some magic?

:) he was happy I dragged him to the toy show. Must add he didn't have a choice here at all but he said during it he was happy he went it was a once in a life time experience.

No in general when it comes to Christmas he is a bit of scrooge. He his only true love at Christmas is the dinner and his gifts that santa inevitable leaves him (despite him being a scrooge :o ) I don't think hi family really celebrated christmas he finds all the decorations and fuss a bit much. But he has learned to not object or voice his annoyance everytime something christmas themed appears in our house now ! Think he knows his life just isn't worth the argument ... :p

I live in hope someday I will totally convert him ...sigh ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Great to see this thread resurrected!

I had a great Christmas. I went to see A Christmas Carol in Smock Alley which really got me in the mood.

I started this thread to say I would serve canapes instead of a starter. They were a big success!

i also enjoyed plenty of Baileys Coffees over the Christmas period which long slow brunches served with vodka OJ's which was also very nice.

Til next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

:) he was happy I dragged him to the toy show. Must add he didn't have a choice here at all but he said during it he was happy he went it was a once in a life time experience.

No in general when it comes to Christmas he is a bit of scrooge. He his only true love at Christmas is the dinner and his gifts that santa inevitable leaves him (despite him being a scrooge :o ) I don't think hi family really celebrated christmas he finds all the decorations and fuss a bit much. But he has learned to not object or voice his annoyance everytime something christmas themed appears in our house now ! Think he knows his life just isn't worth the argument ... :p

I live in hope someday I will totally convert him ...sigh ... :(

My sister loves xmas and her boyfriend is a bit meh about it. She loves to go to the markets, and decorate the house and watch toy show etc. he was always moaning and dragging his feet. So this year she asked him if he wanted to do things and if he said no they didn't do it. She saw no markets and didn't even get to put up a tree! She was devastated.
    Then on xmas eve they are in the pub and he tells her how this year just doesn't feel xmassey and how they never did any of the fun stuff they usually did. When she explained how he'd said no to everythign he felt really bad and swore he wouldn't moan so much next year and realised that deep down he really liked it all. It was a xmas miracle lol!

I'm sure Mr glitz gal might feel the exact same way!

My sister loves xmas and her boyfriend is a bit meh about it. She loves to go to the markets, and decorate the house and watch toy show etc. he was always moaning and dragging his feet. So this year she asked him if he wanted to do things and if he said no they didn't do it. She saw no markets and didn't even get to put up a tree! She was devastated.
    Then on xmas eve they are in the pub and he tells her how this year just doesn't feel xmassey and how they never did any of the fun stuff they usually did. When she explained how he'd said no to everythign he felt really bad and swore he wouldn't moan so much next year and realised that deep down he really liked it all. It was a xmas miracle lol!

I'm sure Mr glitz gal might feel the exact same way!

I have seriously thought about taking this approach! Actually 2 years ago I pretended I hadn got him anything at all for Christmas (from a conversation we had had he said he didn't particularly care if he got presents at Christmas or for the hype ) and the face he pulled when he thought I had followed through on it :p

Id say if I didn't he would feel the exact same way. He knows me too well though and knows I couldn't restrain myself enough to follow through on my threat. Plus with the mini glitz here I've created a Christmas monster ! He'd have a heart attack if he saw the neighbours stuff going up before us never mind telling him im not bothering at all!

Am giving serious thought to telling him to organise christmas one year from start to finish same as i do every year, to get him to appreciate the work that it requires.

I'm curious now actually , if the elves here dont mind me asking them , who takes care of christmas in your home ? Is it mostly women or how much of an active role would your significant other have in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Me and my fiancé always go to each of our parents for Christmas, next year me and my husband will spend the day together :)

I'm curious now actually , if the elves here dont mind me asking them , who takes care of christmas in your home ? Is it mostly women or how much of an active role would your significant other have in it ?

All women in my house. ;)

But seriously though, I do 99% of things at the moment just because my girlfriend is the carer for her uncle who's been really really sick in hospital for over a year so she just doesn't have the time. Before this it's been fairly equal (but I was the only one living out of home so we decorated my flat rather than one we lived in together so made sense for me to do it) and we both do love Christmas. This and last year (since her uncle got sick) I've done all the cooking, most of the shopping, most of the decorating and pretty much all organising of Christmassy events and stuff- going to see Christmas films, markets etc. Unfortunately we didn't get to do much of that the last couple of years because she has to spend so much time with him.

I love cooking so that's not an issue, but it'd be nice to be able to get away like we used to for our usual trip to the markets in Europe but obviously that's not possible until her uncle gets out of hospital.

Jaysis this turned into a PI-type post fairly fast! Sorry!!

Lol baby and crumble it didnt so your ok ! :) to be fair taking care of a sick person or helping assist and care for them is extremely time consuming and can have a strain on the carer and their partner /family. (I cared for my FIL for 3 years) and at times I felt like that too but It won't last forever and you'll be able to enjoy all those things with your partner again :)

It seems to be primarily taken care of now by mostly women from what I can see with my group of friends anyway. Which is a shame I think. I'd love it to be more a family orientated ordeal :(

Ah yeah, I understand.

I think that guys our age (25+) would have been brought up with Mam doing the organising, so it's not on the radar that Chrostmas (and other events) don't just "happen". Plus lots of people just don't like Christmas. My Dad hates Christmas. He avoids it like the plague, especially since my Mum died.

We're pretty equal in my house when it comes to Christmas. We do pretty much everything else together so Christmas is no different. We don't cook Christmas dinner at home, but if we did he'd definitely be taking the lead because he did it once when his mother wasn't well so he has more experience than me! My parents always do Christmas together too.(Most things anyway!) I remember telling someone in their 70s that my dad does a lot of the Christmas dinner and they were a bit taken aback. It's 2016. The idea that a man would be stuffing a turkey is not a new one! He did it when I was a kid too and I'm in my 30s now!

The last time mr glitz decided to try and surprise me with a cooked dinner he thought it would be a great idea to cook a raw burger wrapped in tin foil in the oven. He then tried to insist I was bring too picky when I tried to tell him it was still raw :pac: so for all our safety I just don't let him near the food ... every ... at all ... :eek:

I see it all the time the guys have absaloutly no idea what was bought for Christmas etc. Personally I always think they get away with too much lol ;)

Lol poor Mr glitz. That's hilarious. :D Some people really just can't cook and shouldn't try!

• Advertisement

Lol poor Mr glitz. That's hilarious. :D Some people really just can't cook and shouldn't try!

Poor Mr glitz my backside haha. Do you know when your child bakes some monstrosity and you have to take a bite good naturedly and try look happy about it to avoid hurting their feelings? :pac:

Yup that is exactly what happened. He just kept insisting that it was fine and I was been picky ... I'm lucky to be alive in fairness :D haha

Advertisement