Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school with tennis.

Options
  • 12-01-2015 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hello

Is there a boys or mixed secondary school which has a good tennis focus anywhere in South Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Terenure College but it's private, so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

In most secondary schools it is seen as a summer sport I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The High School,
    Danum,
    Zion Road,
    Rathgar,
    Dublin 6

Private , expensive but worth it !

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭spillit67

Gonzaga

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Blackrock college also play tennis but it is a fee paying school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Wesley College, summer term only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

St. Columbas, Rarhfarnham

Monkstown do as well actually

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP is looking for a school with 'a good tennis focus'.

I don't know about most of the colleges that have been mentioned but AFAIK Terenure and Blackrock have a focus on one sport and one sport only and it's not tennis!

I could be wrong but I don't think he's simply looking for a school that has a couple of tennis courts.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP is looking for a school with 'a good tennis focus'.

I don't know about most of the colleges that have been mentioned but AFAIK Terenure and Blackrock have a focus on one sport and one sport only and it's not tennis!

I could be wrong but I don't think he's simply looking for a school that has a couple of tennis courts.

Not true. Both have tennis courts in fact.

Blackrock-college-570x321.jpg
    Blackrock

There is no "tennis focused school" afaik. Many schools would have tennis as a Wednesday option - I know in CBC Stepehen O'Shea is the coach. Gonzaga though have a strong tennis programme from 1st to 6th year. http://www.gonzaga.ie/tennis.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spillit67 wrote: »
    Not true. Both have tennis courts in fact.

Blackrock-college-570x321.jpg
    Blackrock

There is no "tennis focused school" afaik. Many schools would have tennis as a Wednesday option - I know in CBC Stepehen O'Shea is the coach. Gonzaga though have a strong tennis programme from 1st to 6th year. http://www.gonzaga.ie/tennis.html

He never said that they don't have tennis courts.

I went to Terenure, they do have tennis coaching but wouldn't focus on it. Most those who played, played their competitions with templeogue tennis club or CY in the village

Fair enough, none of the schools mentioned so far are tennis schools. They are rugby/hockey schools. Bit of a misconception that Blackrock has one focus, the investment in the courts above says something different and they have coaching/participate in the school's leagues

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

spillit67 wrote: »
    Bit of a misconception that Blackrock has one focus.....

Now come on, FFS. Just look at their website.....

All boys are encouraged, particularly in First and Second Year, to play rugby at whatever level of ability.

http://www.blackrockcollege.com/activities/sports/

Nobody sends their sons to Blackrock to play tennis which BTW they only play officially in the final term each year.

Now come on, FFS. Just look at their website.....

All boys are encouraged, particularly in First and Second Year, to play rugby at whatever level of ability.

http://www.blackrockcollege.com/activities/sports/

Nobody sends their sons to Blackrock to play tennis which BTW they only play officially in the final term each year.

That is the same in most rugby schools. There are nearly 200 boys per year in Blackrock, there is an awful lot more going on then rugby where only the best 15 (from 4th-6th year) get to play 1st XV senior rugby annually. Rugby is what they are known for but they have lots of other sports. Encouraged does not mean forced, after 1st year many drop the sport. If they didn't Blackrock would be fielding 8 or 9 teams at under 14 level, which from experience I can tell you they certainly do not. You can have a focus on more than one sport.
    Six Teams compete in Leinster Schools competitions including Senior 1sts and 2nds, Junior 1sts and 2nds as well as Minor 1sts and 2nds

They have Pat Crowe involved and decent facilities for it.

I'm not saying they are particularly strong at the sport but I think it is unfair to pick themselves and Terenure out just because of their strong rugby, which is aided by the fact that they are bigger than most of the schools they compete against. Wesley is a strong hockey and also plays rugby but doesn't get the same? Gonzaga is a rugby first school but not as big so not as successful at it.

Btw I didn't go to Blackrock, just think it's unfair to make a specific example of them or Terenure just because they are good at something else with more notoriety. Tennis is primarily focused in clubs in Ireland but the school's mentioned do give a decent fist of it. 6 all weather tennis courts in Blackrock can't be sniffed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Absolute rubbish. I played Badminton and Tennis for Terenure at a very competitive level. They're well known for many other sports
    ted1 wrote: »
    He never said that they don't have tennis courts.

I went to Terenure, they do have tennis coaching but wouldn't focus on it. Most those who played, played their competitions with templeogue tennis club or CY in the village

I went to Terenue too and unless it changed after I left, you're wrong. It's played at a very competitive level in the college. Dig out any of your annuals and have a look at the section on tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

There's a simple way to resolve this - just google East Leinster Schools Tennis. Unfortunately most of these sites are blocked for me here in work but I can see that Wesley were in the finals in 2013

http://www.wesleycollege.ie/index.php/east-leinster-schools-tennis-finals-2013/

Advertisement