Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Receding hairline at 17?

• 12-01-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Well to be fair it's been happening for nearly two years..
    I've never had the best hairline.. I was actually called ET for a long time as a young teen but that's died down now.
    It's receding at the temples mainly in round circle cut out shapes..

There are little straggly hairs around the hairline and I've noticed some thinning at the crown and temples..
    So needless to say it's all can tits up..

I would just shave it off but there's a few problems.
    1-I've a queerly shaped head, it's larger at the top and comes down to a narrower chin (could be the hairline playing tricks on me)
    And I've a 2 inch scar on the back along with some dips and lumps..
    2-my face doesn't seem to fit my head.. (Self explanatory it all seems squished in)
    3-I've don't have a beard (yet)

I'm not one to fuss over appearance but this is starting to tick me off..
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Talk to your doctor about Rogaine. If you feel embarrassed about talking to your doc about it, goto another doc.

It helps keep the hair, so the sooner you start the better, or so it's meant to work.

Went the Mac3 route around 20 or so, but I had a goatee by that stage.

Thus, Rogaine until you can grow a beard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

the_syco wrote: »
    Talk to your doctor about Rogaine.

That is only a temporary solution at best. He'd have to use it permanently to keep the hair and it will still eventually fall out as it only slows the damage caused to folicles by DHT.

It is also very expensive.

Anyway at 17 I don't think its a good idea to be filling your body with hormone altering chemicals. Not going to do you any good. (I know it's topical but it will be absorbed too)

Why don't you just try a 0 cut. See how it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Don't get too concerned. I thought the same thing was happening to me when I was that age but it was just my appearance changing naturally as I was getting older.You're only 17 and your body is still growing and changing and you're going to start developing features/looks of an adult male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That is only a temporary solution at best. He'd have to use it permanently to keep the hair and it will still eventually fall out as it only slows the damage caused to folicles by DHT.
    Regardless, he should talk to his doctor.

Seanf999; what's the male bald pattern in your family and extended family? There are many reasons that could attribute to hair loss, and your doctor is the only one who can really help. Some can be reversible if detected early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Regardless, he should talk to his doctor.

Seanf999; what's the male bald pattern in your family and extended family? There are many reasons that could attribute to hair loss, and your doctor is the only one who can really help. Some can be reversible if detected early enough.

We'll my father had an Afro well into his 20s but he's bald/balding now.. On my mothers my uncles all have some degree of mpb be it a lot or a little

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are many reasons that could attribute to hair loss, and your doctor is the only one who can really help.
    Yes and no. Mostly no in this case. *personal opinion* TBH I find the "your doctor knows best" to be pretty dubious on many health fronts and this would be one of them. GP's are not experts in such things, not even close. Most likely he'll be fobbed off with "aw well that's how it is", unless he has other symptoms that may be systemic in nature where hairloss is a another symptom. A trichologist, or dermatologist might be a better port of call. If one can be found locally that isn't attached to a snake oil, or hair piece hawker.

From my reading on the subject, such as it is, if it is male pattern baldness, while some treatments exist, they're either non hormonal stopgaps like regaine(like you said TS) or hormonal treatments that interrupt/reduce the action of free testosterone in the body that affects genetically sensitive hair follicles(the name of which escapes), but the latter while having good results with hairloss, can have disastrous effects on the body. Loss of libido, pain in the chestnuts and the like. Not good and apparently can be permanent. :eek:

Now again this would just be my humble SeanF, but you have one advantage being 17(among many, you whippersnapper bastid! :D), in that it's a real heart scald now, but if you go the shaved route, very quickly people around you will think that's how SeanF always looked. This means that at 30, you'll look pretty much the same, ditto for 40, even 50 and beyond. So long as you avoid too much sun, don't pork up or go scrawny. If you were going through this at say 30, you'd have a much bigger social hurdle to cross. You'd be "aging". At 17... well, you're 17 for feck sake. :) The world is your oyster and how. There are many men with full heads of hair at 50, that would swap with you in a heartbeat. Seriously SF, yes it's a pain in the arse, but you're still well ahead of the game.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

awec wrote: »
    All men's hair recedes at the temples as they get older. Unless it's receding more than an inch or so its not a sign of you balding.

Mine hasn't, and I'm barrelling towards 36.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

awec wrote: »
    :D

I don't mean noticable baldness, just that the hairline changes a bit as you get a bit older.

I'm sure there are exceptions for the genetically gifted among us, like yourself. ;)

Though I could be totally wrong! :)

Ah no it's definitely receding not just growing up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yep op it happens, i started getting a high hairline about 16, tried to hang on to my few whisps of hair til i was 22 and then gave up and shaved it off.

Unfortunately it does happen

There is no god :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Flippin

I know it's not what you want to hear, but unless you want to get locked in an endless battle with your hair, spending copious amounts of money (on products like Rogaine) and worrying endlessly over your thinning hair (for years and years), just try to accept that it's happening and concentrate on the things that you can do something about. Like your fitness, your teeth, your clothes, your career, your tan etc. and keep the hair that you do have well groomed.

Most men these days wear their baldness well, even with odd-shaped heads, scars etc., and because of that baldness doesn't carry the stigma that it used to. The days of the old combover are, thankfully, long gone - and the ridicule that went with it.

Advertisement