Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun cartridges

Options
  • 13-01-2015 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

1 what is the best cheap clay shooting cartridge? (Brand)

2 what is the best cheap game shooting cartridge? (Brand)

Have used:
    Nsi caccia 4 38g (not tested)
    Eley supergame 32g 5 (reasonable)
    Game bore velocity trap 28g 7.5 (very good for clay)
    RC sipe 32g 5 ( very good)
    Nsi velox game 32 or 34g 7 (reasonable)
    Fiocchi 32g 4 5 and 6 (reasonable)
    Eley 7.5 28g Olympic blues ( good) (clay)
    Cheddite 28g trap 8 (reasonable)

Who is the good maker? I'm new to it all so.... Need some help from the experts i mostly shoot crows pigeons and pheasants so i need a cartridge to do those three.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭shoot to kill

b+p 7.5 28g competition. woodcock/ snipe/ crow/ pigeon killing machines. super fast.

nsi 7.5 28g silver base cheep and not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

RC Sipe, 32g Number 6 best value game shell on the Irish market imo, ideal for your purpose. Usually €8- €8.50 per 25, I've been using using Eley Grand Prix myself myself the last few seasons which are running a bit dearer but I'd gladly use the Sipe just the same. Why use trap shells for game, or game shells for trap shooting?.. if you want to shoot good birds use good shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hunter701

yes i aggree RC sipe were good when i used them and so were NSI however i was a bit shocked at the eley supergame and the fiocchi's i also see george digweed shooting champion and my inspiration shooting crows with no 5 gamebore black gold id say they too are very good

Eley Supergame are a budget cartridge and that's putting it nicely, not being snobby but I wouldn't have them in my belt. Fiocchi I always found dirty, with B&P I found the recoil heavy, Remington are okay, cant vouch for many of the others as I have not used them thoroughly. I wouldn't look past RC Sipe to be honest, but it's always best to try the different shells on a pattern plates with your own gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

I've been using the fob 7.5 28 gram for clays 50 euro a slab. I can't fault them. Some of the lads are using rc2 and they're getting a couple of misfires and it's not the guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cap1 wrote: »
    I've been using the fob 7.5 28 gram for clays 50 euro a slab. I can't fault them. Some of the lads are using rc2 and they're getting a couple of misfires and it's not the guns.

The FOB game cartridges perform well in my old A5. I got 32g 6 for €70 a slab over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

im useing fiocchi 34g 7s and remington 32g 8s for nearly all game and vermin find them very good in the gun .

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

I used to use rc at trap shooting but got way too many missfires eBay grand prix are great for game imo eley or hull are great manufacturers of ammunition I wouldn't fire rc if i got them for free imo

ecr wrote: »
    I used to use rc at trap shooting but got way too many missfires eBay grand prix are great for game imo eley or hull are great manufacturers of ammunition I wouldn't fire rc if i got them for free imo

Are the rc game cartridges good apart from the misfiring trap cartridges

Are the Remington game cartridges good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hunter701 wrote: »
    Not a long time user, but have made the change to them and find them excellent. RC 3, 36gr 5s. Deadly.

Got a box of the RC Camo, 37 gr, 4s, but i haven't used any yet. I always keep a couple of 43 or the occasional 3 in the belt, just in case.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Cass wrote: »
    Not a long time user, but have made the change to them and find them excellent. RC 3, 36gr 5s. Deadly..........

Getting good results with the RC2, 34g 5s, good all rounder

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

Dunno about the game I use eley or fiochi for game

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

Gamebore velocity are a brilliant and cheap clay cartridge, haven't used anything else for the last year, I get them for €180 per 1000.
    The best all rounder game cartridge I find is Remington fieldshot 36g 4 or 6s.
    I use 4s for duck and not much gets away!!

Ps. Apparently there's a shortage of gamebore velocity cartridges, my RFD is finding it hard to get a hold of any. There selling faster then there making them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

+1 for the game bore velocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

Where are ye getting the velocity?

lanber man wrote: »
    Where are ye getting the velocity?

I get them in outdoor ranger in tuam, Galway.
    Don't know if he sends them by couirer or not.
    Ger kelly is his name, very nice lad to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

Are the Remington game cartridges good

I can't fault them, I use fieldshot 32g 8's and 34g 8's for all my game shooting, a little bit dearer but worth it

so which is the best game cartridge around €8-€9 which would ye choose
    fiocchi pl32
    RC sipe 32g
    NSI nobel speed 34g
    B&P MB classic 32g 7

thinking of going with 6s or 7s

all found on mcbrides.ie

so which is the best game cartridge around €8-€9 which would ye choose
    fiocchi pl32
    RC sipe 32g
    NSI nobel speed 34g
    B&P MB classic 32g 7

thinking of going with 6s or 7s

all found on mcbrides.ie

The RC Sipe 32g 6s are a great round, would highly recommend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Not the cheapest option but best to try a variety and see what suits your gun / shooting.

personally (mostly pheasant shooting) was shooting saga for years and never had a problem until I couldn't get them anymore.
    Tried Eley - average.
    Bought a box of FOB recently 32g 6, shot two relatively handy cocks but didn't kill either. In fact they were fairly lively so best to have good dogs. Probably grand for pigeons.
    RC Sipe 32g 6, my father was happy with them but I couldn't get on with them in the U&O. I switched back to an old s/s mid season, didn't have enough Sipe to judge properly but performed better with the s/s (different gun different pattern, i'm not saying s/s is better than u/o).
    Hull extreme high pheasant 32g 6. Great shell. Very hard hitting and great at longer ranges. I'll be shooting these for as long as I can get them.

Not the cheapest option but best to try a variety and see what suits your gunarrow-10x10.png / shooting.

personallyarrow-10x10.png (mostly pheasant shooting) was shooting saga for years and never had a problem until I couldn't get them anymore.
    Tried Eley - average.
    Bought a box of FOB recently 32g 6, shot two relatively handy cocks but didn't kill either. In fact they were fairly lively so best to have good dogs. Probably grand for pigeons.
    RC Sipe 32g 6, my father was happy with them but I couldn't get on with them in the U&O. I switched back to an old s/s mid season, didn't have enough Sipe to judge properly but performed better with the s/s (different gun different pattern, i'm not saying s/s is better than u/o).
    Hull extremearrow-10x10.png high pheasant 32g 6. Great shell. Very hard hitting and great at longer ranges. I'll be shooting these for as long as I can get them.

Where you getting the Hull shells, I've heard good things about them? Pity alright we can't reliably get the same shells as long as we want, Eley, B&P or Remington in most shops I visit; a really limited range at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PDAhunter

Not the cheapest option but best to try a variety and see what suits your gun / shooting.

personally (mostly pheasant shooting) was shooting saga for years and never had a problem until I couldn't get them anymore.
    Tried Eley - average.
    Hull extreme high pheasant 32g 6. Great shell. Very hard hitting and great at longer ranges. I'll be shooting these for as long as I can get them.

Found dem FOB 6 32g the exact same don't tink I ever killed sumthing straight out using Black gold 6 32g hav shot everything from fox ta snipe wit dem of der hit at all der not goin anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Where you getting the Hull shells, I've heard good things about them? Pity alright we can't reliably get the same shells as long as we want, Eley, B&P or Remington in most shops I visit; a really limited range at that.

http://www.courtlough.ie/guns/

Seems to be a better selection on the website than when I was there.

Advertisement