Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulent Eircom Account set up using my bank details

Options
  • 13-01-2015 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi 

I have a serious issue. Somebody set up an Eircom account this month using my bank details for the DD. I do not nor have I ever had an account with Eircom.

This was fraudulent and I have canceled the DD and reported the matter to my bank and the gardai.
    I need to get information from Eircom to confirm this was fraud i.e. the names on the account will not match mine. If they could pass this information to me so I can give to the gardai so we can find this criminal that would be really helpful.

I have the unique mandate ref for the DD and all other details which your accounts dept should be able to use to track the DD back to the account.

Unfortunately this has been going on for over 1 week and the customer service number was no use as I don't have an account number they literally didn't know what to do.  They passed me an email address for credit management who have come back saying they need my eircom account number.
    Obviously I do not have one and could use advice on how I can get this information from Eircom.

Please advise
    thanks
    Sarah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Saz256 wrote: »
    Hi 

I have a serious issue. Somebody set up an Eircom account this month using my bank details for the DD. I do not nor have I ever had an account with Eircom.

This was fraudulent and I have canceled the DD and reported the matter to my bank and the gardai.
    I need to get information from Eircom to confirm this was fraud i.e. the names on the account will not match mine. If they could pass this information to me so I can give to the gardai so we can find this criminal that would be really helpful.

I have the unique mandate ref for the DD and all other details which your accounts dept should be able to use to track the DD back to the account.

Unfortunately this has been going on for over 1 week and the customer service number was no use as I don't have an account number they literally didn't know what to do.  They passed me an email address for credit management who have come back saying they need my eircom account number.
    Obviously I do not have one and could use advice on how I can get this information from Eircom.

Please advise
    thanks
    Sarah
    Hello Saz256

I'm very sorry to hear this,

If you could PM me your contact details I will look in to this further and request clarification on how we can help.

Please withhold PMing bank details for now

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I followed this thread as I had a few (multiple) fraudulent accounts set up using my address, seemed they were used to acquire high end phones,
    It was in the name of a few companies connected to/owned by Eircom.

It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience dealing with them which was not resolved as the subsidary companies would not or refused to explain to me where or how these accounts were set up and using what proof information. Although I threatened and went to comreg, It took going to the Gardai to finally resolve it as my address was being spammed by these subsidary companies with bills and threats for payment.
    I believe it was resolved in the end by going to the gardai, but Im not absolutely certain, I reported fraud, provided what documents had come my way, identified myself and my address and stated I never knew the people named and that they never resided at my address, and then I never heard anything about it after.

If you end up banging your head against the wall here or with the organisation/s in question, simply report the matter to the Gardai as fraud, make copies of anything you have, and take names and details of who you deal with.

Goodluck! ("Taken" :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

cerastes wrote: »
    I followed this thread as I had a few (multiple) fraudulent accounts set up using my address, seemed they were used to acquire high end phones,

It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience dealing with them which was not resolved as the subsidary companies would not or refused to explain to me where or how these accounts were set up and using what proof information. Although I threatened and went to comreg, It took going to the Gardai to finally resolve it as my address was being spammed by these subsidary companies with bills and threats for payment.
    I believe it was resolved in the end by going to the gardai, but Im not absolutely certain, I reported fraud, provided what documents had come my way, identified myself and my address and stated I never knew the people named and that they never resided at my address, and then I never heard anything about it after.

If you end up banging your head against the wall here or with the organisation/s in question, simply report the matter to the Gardai as fraud, make copies of anything you have, and take names and details of who you deal with.

Hi cerastes

I have had confirmation from eircoms fraud department that the process required is as follows:

You will need to supply the following to the Gardai:

a.The affected Bank Account number or credit card number

b.Date of transaction(s)

c.Amount of what was deducted from the account

d. Transit code

The Gardai Central Crime Investigations Unit send a request for information associated with the above to eircom GFS.

This route needs to be followed due to the serious nature of this issues and ultimately the cases will need to go directly via the Gardai.

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The procedure outlined above seems seriously lacking as there is no stage in it for Eircom to collect the necessary information to shut down with immediate effect the bogus accounts. If Eircom are suggesting that the affected party contacts the garda as per the procedure outlined above how is the account to be cancelled. What is to stop an already stressed person being further harassed for payment of money they do not owe?

Surely such cases raise serious issues in relation to Eircom's verification procedures in opening new accounts? There is an obligation in the direct debit scheme rules to verify each dd mandate that is received by a company.
    2.4 Mandate & Collection flow
    The following steps outline the flow of the Mandate:
    Step 1: Debtor completes and signs the mandate (paper or electronic) and sends to
    Creditor.
    Step 2: Creditor must validate the Debtor’s account details. If more than one person
    is required to authorise debits from the account, a paper mandate must be
    sent to all Debtors, being all persons so authorised, for completion

Also surely if an affected party contacts Eircom in such a case then this information on how to proceed should be readily available to them?  Also given that Eircom are responsible for allowing these accounts to be set up in the first place it would appear that Eircom do not offer any support to the affected party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Saz256

cerastes wrote: »

Thanks! That s my next step! I have been refunded the money back from my bank also. This was only because another fraudulent account was set up with Electric Ireland who confirmed the name on the account wasn't mine so BOI refunded me straight away.
    Unfortunately the gardai said it was easier if I requested this information from Eircom and the latest emails I have had from Eircom said I need to get my bank & the Gardai to request it! Not sure who is in the wrong here but I am certainly bringing all info to the guards asap
    thanks for sharing your story - such a frustrating thing to happen. 
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience dealing with them which was not resolved as the subsidary companies would not or refused to explain to me where or how these accounts were set up and using what proof information.

I suggest the posters here request a copy of all information held about them under the Data Protection Act, this would include any identity documents, addresses etc that might have been used to open accounts. Either Eircom hold such authorisations, in which case you can query whether it is genuine, or they do not hold such authorisations, in which case they should desist from accessing your bank account. It is quite simply illegal for any organisation to claim that you have had dealings with them and not produce this information when requested.

Advertisement