Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thirst from antibiotics?

• 13-01-2015 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

My dog got an infection due to impacted anal glands so she is now on antibiotics. I'm not sure what one exactly, as it's just a plain glass bottle - but it is pink, and after looking up online, possible amoxicillin?

Anyway, she has improved somewhat in the last few days, but this morning she peed in my bed. She has been drinking lots and lots of water since being on the antibiotic, and through looking up threads on the internet, quite a number of people have noticed the same thing - excessive thirst, sometimes with a lack of bladder control.

Other than that, she did vomit a few times the first day. Then the next two days she didn't vomit at all, but this morning she did - it seemed mostly watery.

I'm going to ring the vet in a while to check, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    My dog got an infection due to impacted anal glands so she is now on antibiotics. I'm not sure what one exactly, as it's just a plain glass bottle - but it is pink, and after looking up online, possible amoxicillin?

Anyway, she has improved somewhat in the last few days, but this morning she peed in my bed. She has been drinking lots and lots of water since being on the antibiotic, and through looking up threads on the internet, quite a number of people have noticed the same thing - excessive thirst, sometimes with a lack of bladder control.

Other than that, she did vomit a few times the first day. Then the next two days she didn't vomit at all, but this morning she did - it seemed mostly watery.

I'm going to ring the vet in a while to check, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Had a dog on antibiotics not long ago. The vet mentioned he would drink more than normal and might have the odd accident and he did exactly that. Drank a lot more than normal and inevitably couldn't control himself as he usually would. It's very normal and nothing to worry about. Just means having to take them out a lot more often or having to clean up a few times for the course of the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Thank you for the reply!

Glad to hear that it's not something more worrying. I can't wait for her to be finished them so that she doesn't feel so miserable anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

gramar wrote: »
    Had a dog on antibiotics not long ago. The vet mentioned he would drink more than normal and might have the odd accident and he did exactly that. Drank a lot more than normal and inevitably couldn't control himself as he usually would. It's very normal and nothing to worry about. Just means having to take them out a lot more often or having to clean up a few times for the course of the treatment.

same issue with one of our fellas. drinking like a fish so let them out and about a lot more than you're used to. My fella could go 8 hours without peeing before, now it's about half an hour.

Just an update.

We rang the vet to double check and he wasn't too happy so we brought her down and turns out she also has a kidney infection. So she's staying in the vet for a few days until it clears up.

Aw poor puppy :(

My doggy is on antibiotics, she had me up during the night to let her out to pee which she never would normaly, but she paced for ages afterward and I couldn't figure out why. I only noticed this morning that her water bowl was empty so she must have been so thirsty, she had a bowl of water gone in a couple of seconds. I felt fierce guilty for not noticing during the night :/

• Advertisement

It seems to be quite normal for them to drink loooads when on antibiotics.

She was fine thirst-wise beforehand so she must have only picked up this infection very recently.

At least she's in the best place for her to get better anyway. Just gutted that she's missing the snow - she would have loved it!

Advertisement