Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road closure Durrow from Ballyragget

Options
  • 13-01-2015 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

What the hell are Laois/Kilkenny county councils at with the road closure in Durrow and diversions for same? This morning I had to make a 40 minute detour because of a 100 meter stretch of road in Durrow that was closed. The diversion took me back to Ballyragget, then to Freshford and Johnstown (where the road wasn't gritted this morning I might add!) before coming back into Durrow at the far side. It's the most ridiculous diversion I have ever come across! I was looking to try my luck going the backroads to Abbeyleix but the left turn (to Attanagh) from the Durrow/Ballyragget road was also closed! :mad:
    Is this road closure to last for long and does anyone have any suggestion of a better diversion on the way home this evening? I'm in Dublin for the day and don't fancy taking the same diversion home so would I be better going back via Kilkenny instead? I live in Ballyragget.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you're trying to get to Ballyraggett just turn-off in Abbeyleix for Ballinakill. The road is poor but I'd say there's very little difference time wise.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you're coming from Dublin way not go Athy - Castlecomer and make your way back to Ballyragget from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Thanks folks, will turn off in Abbeyleix on the way back so (it's the way I was trying to go this morning but the turn off for Attanagh was closed) - hopefully there are no other roads closed between there and Ballyragget! slimjimmc given the forecast I'll give the Castlecomer way a miss as the road from there to Ballyragget can be quite hairy when temperatures drop.
    I have to say tho the genius who put together the detour for this tiny bit of roadworks must be having a laugh at us all - complete joke of a detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Thanks folks, will turn off in Abbeyleix on the way back so (it's the way I was trying to go this morning but the turn off for Attanagh was closed) - hopefully there are no other roads closed between there and Ballyragget! slimjimmc given the forecast I'll give the Castlecomer way a miss as the road from there to Ballyragget can be quite hairy when temperatures drop.
    I have to say tho the genius who put together the detour for this tiny bit of roadworks must be having a laugh at us all - complete joke of a detour.

Agreed. I got caught with that "detour" last night also. I remember thinking "they're hardly sending me to Johnstown..." Well they were. Thanks morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I went through that attanagh turn off this morning and road was open ( although the sign did say closed)
    Could you go home through ballinakil & ballyouskil, that road brings you straight to ballyragget

• Advertisement

Thanks flower tattoo, that's the way I'll be going back and will use it in the future alright. Looks like Carrigan St will be closed until mid March according to their facebook page - hard to believe such a tiny stretch of road can take that long to fix! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Word of caution re the Abbeyleix/Ballyraggett route. There's a farm on either side of the road which will have cattle crossing once or twice a day. Also tractors and machinery with no chance to overtake its a nightmare. That and the road being totally unsuitable for heavy traffic.

Thanks catastophy - hopefully the freezing won't be too bad tonight either! Gotta love these councils carrying out roadworks like this without any acceptable alternative in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Thanks catastophy - hopefully the freezing won't be too bad tonight either! Gotta love these councils carrying out roadworks like this without any acceptable alternative in place!

Trouble is I don't think there is any alternative. It's crazy that the road goes through Durrow. A lovely little village destroyed by traffic.

Came back the Abbeyleix/Ballinakill/Ballyragget route last night and it was fine - added maybe 10 minutes to the journey time. As you said catastrophy it's not the best of roads but at least it's fairly direct. Whatever numpty in the council thought it was a better alternative to divert traffic back to Ballyragget, over to Freshford and Johnstown before arriving back in Durrow really needs their head examined!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

The maps on Laois co co show only a minor road works in Durrow. the diversion map doesn't show the extent of the journey other posters have talked about.
    Just wondering as I am travelling from Borris on ossory to Kk via ballyragget tomorrow.

The roadworks, whilst minor in terms of distance essentially mean you cannot go via Durrow to Kilkenny! Your best bet looks like being to go via Rathdowney and Johnstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

noserider wrote: »
    The maps on Laois co co show only a minor road works in Durrow. the diversion map doesn't show the extent of the journey other posters have talked about.
    Just wondering as I am travelling from Borris on ossory to Kk via ballyragget tomorrow.

I had to make this journey on Sunday night and the diversion caught me off guard. I planned to go Freshford - Johnstown - Rathdowney - Borris but when I got to Johnstown there was a sign saying there were road closures in Rathdowney! Total mess.

In the end I went from Johnstown to Durrow and on to Borris as normal. Coming to Durrow from the Johnstown side mean you miss the roadworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

The roadworks, whilst minor in terms of distance essentially mean you cannot go via Durrow to Kilkenny! Your best bet looks like being to go via Rathdowney and Johnstown.

Be careful with that option as the roadworks in Rathdowney are far more extensive than Durrow. Various streets and roads are closed, have been for months and will be for many months to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

If you know your roads, go from Cullohill to Lisdowney - all back roads but much quicker than the main roads, however, roads wont be gritted

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lev

I really can't believe they didn't delay this for a few weeks, by March we'd have bright mornings and much mower risk of frost. I travel from Ballyragget to Portlaoise each day and although the Ballinakill diversion is reasonably direct it is a terrible road with numerous dangerous bends.

I can't believe Laois Co. Co. didn't consider the safety of motorist in this decision. Sending them along dangerous secondary roads during the worst two months of the year for driving conditions is ridiculous. There will be accidents on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

lev wrote: »
    I really can't believe they didn't delay this for a few weeks, by March we'd have bright mornings and much mower risk of frost. I travel from Ballyragget to Portlaoise each day and although the Ballinakill diversion is reasonably direct it is a terrible road with numerous dangerous bends.

I can't believe Laois Co. Co. didn't consider the safety of motorist in this decision. Sending them along dangerous secondary roads during the worst two months of the year for driving conditions is ridiculous. There will be accidents on that route.

Can't believe you expect any co co to give a flying fook about the ppl in their counties. They are faceless heartless mini corporations just "doing their jobs" and if they are challenged on this particular diversion they will most likely play the health and safety card (for the ppl of Durrow) that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

lev wrote: »

Durrow roads have been dug up for months now on end. It seems utilities always take the easiest optiion i.e. rip up the roads we pay through the noese for to accomodate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭magmay

This map shows the diversion in green and the roadworks in red
    The end dates are different on the application than on the Laois Co Co website.

http://www.laois.ie/Roads/RoadworksClosures/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The Abbeyleix-Ballinakill-Ballyraggett road is the best route as some suggested. For those wanting to travel KK to Portloise consider Castlecomer-Timahoe as an alternative. The stretch from Ballinakill to Ballyraggett is disgraceful and hairy at night with lights etc. Summer time would have been the best time to do the required roadworks. Good old Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Corbra

Wish I had seen this earlier today. I though - shurely the co co won't divert me down to the Tipperary border to get from Killkenny to Portlaoise. They did, in freezing conditions too. What are they thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Road in durrow has reopened - thank god

Road in durrow has reopened - thank god

Are you sure cos I'm heading that way in about 15 minutes and was going to go via freshford.

Was opened last night at any rate Odyssey and there was no sign that it was a temporary reopening.

Was opened last night at any rate Odyssey and there was no sign that it was a temporary reopening.

Many thanks C B, will give it a try. Other road is much longer so should save a good bit of time.
    Odyssey.

The road Is open thank god. Thanks to flower tattoo for the heads up. Diversion signs still up on the kk side �� but big flashing signs on the Laois side saying that the road has reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is it definitely all finished and re-opened now? Must have been the good dry weather helping them to finish early plus they likely gave themselves a long cushion to allow it be finished on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

There's nothing on the Laois Co Co roadworks web page (http://www.laois.ie/Roads/RoadworksClosures/) any more about the Durrow-Ballyragget road (the works in Rathdowney are still listed). Hopefully that means it's back open permanently.

Advertisement