Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower cord won't pull

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi - the cord that we use to turn on our electric shower (it won't turn on unless this cord is pulled and the red light lilluminated) is broken as this morning it couldn't be pulled.

I'm not an electrician or remotely skilled at changing anything more complicated than a plug - is this an easy enough job to fix myself or will I need to call an electrician?

I can't shower until this is fixed so I am obviously after a speedy solution for the good of the people I sit next to at work or on the Luas! :p

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It's a simple enough task for an electrician. And that is probably your best course of action with showers being a high load appliance.

I never switch off that switch unless I'm doing work on the shower unit, although it is a wall isolator rather than a pull chord that I have. Not switching them on and off for every shower will prolong their lifetime.

Some would argue to switch it off after every shower though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wonderboy76

Thanks - yeah I've read conflicting ideas about whether you should turn it on or off.

Now I just need to find an electrician who won't charge me the earth to change it quickly for me!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks - yeah I've read conflicting ideas about whether you should turn it on or off.

This arguement has gone on since the dawn of time.
    I agree with Bruthal though.

If this device had been left on permanently most likley it would still be working now. Switching it on and off on a regular basis will make these switches expire prematurely.

Yup, deffo gonna try and overcome my slight OCD about turning everything off if this particluarly switch doesn't need to be turned off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Bruthal wrote: »
    It's a simple enough task for an electrician. And that is probably your best course of action with showers being a high load appliance.

I never switch off that switch unless I'm doing work on the shower unit, although it is a wall isolator rather than a pull chord that I have. Not switching them on and off for every shower will prolong their lifetime.

Some would argue to switch it off after every shower though.

On this occasion I will agree with you. They are not intended as a functional switch, but rather a switch for mechanical maintenance or isolation.

Although a good quality switch is less likely to suffer from regular use.

• Advertisement

thanks all - got it fixed and the electrican agreed with the advice here. Nothing gained by swtiching it on and off. Gracias!

Advertisement