Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Today's commute!

• 13-01-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Cold one this morning with a bit of snow, ice and wind all thrown in. Made for and interesting tide in from Meath.

Happy out in the bike when I got to town as traffic was crazy. A few cold fingers was the only downside!

I hear it's still snowing around the place. So we will see what the spin home brings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

leppla wrote: »
    Cold one this morning with a bit of snow, ice and wind all thrown in. Made for and interesting tide in from Meath.

Happy out in the bike when I got to town as traffic was crazy. A few cold fingers was the only downside!

I hear it's still snowing around the place. So we will see what the spin home brings.

Didn't see any snow on my way in from Naas but fingers were frozen. Town was nuts this morning alright, always worth it once you hit the red cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

No snow in the city yet.
    Roads are still dry.

Will have to wait to find out what the rest of the day brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

zubair wrote: »
    Didn't see any snow on my way in from Naas but fingers were frozen. Town was nuts this morning alright, always worth it once you hit the red cow.

I really debated taking the bike today. But then remembered i would be half way to work in the car by the time i got my bike gear on and was ready to head off.

It was awful being comfortable and really warm :P

goodlad wrote: »
    I really debated taking the bike today. But then remembered i would be half way to work in the car by the time i got my bike gear on and was ready to head off.

Any bikes pass you on the way in..... bet you were mad jello?!

haha! Sure there is no traffic between Naas and Citywest :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

But you looked like a car wanker LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Leppa, where in meath are you? Check out the weather forum snow thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93818481&postcount=800
    This is outside navan:
    334785.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Strangely nice this morning for me from Balitore, no frost or ice, feck all wind up the M9 and M7 all the way to IFSC.

Bit cold but heated hand grips are awesome!

Cienciano wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93818481&postcount=800
    This is outside navan:
    334785.jpg

Thanks for that Cienciano. Yeah I think it has been snowing on and off all day out there. Could be dangerous going home but I will take it one mile at a time.

Crazy thing is I am only 40km from hkne and the sun is shining all day! Granted it's freezing though.

Thats the joy of only needing one hand on the wheel :eek: :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

My commute looked like that, just with less visibility. :D
    Anyone got any advice for keeping the visor clear in a snow storm? I'd wipe the snow off it, but it became impossible to see out of it pretty quickly. I couldn't keep it open either because the snow going into my eyes was blinding.

Roads in Meath are meant to be very bad according to the news. Stay safe lads ( and lassies).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...still better than being a bus wanker though :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Commute was fine this morning between Kilcock and Dublin (except for the fun at Intel Leixlip with their bomb alert).
    Way back this evening had a bit of snow and definitely cold but not too much to worry about.

So my commute home was a pain in the arse, weather was fine but got hit by a car. Raging. Am ok and was able to drive the bike home, gear shift snapped so shifting down was grand but up was messy.

So my commute home was a pain in the arse, weather was fine but got hit by a car. Raging. Am ok and was able to drive the bike home, gear shift snapped so shifting down was grand but up was messy.

****ing hell man! What happened and where?
    Did you get their details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

not having a good run of it zubair, time to change the bike !

hope your ok

Think we need more detail here! Just imagine that it could have been worse.

****ing hell man! What happened and where?
    Did you get their details?

Have their details, hope to have it all sorted soon. Got it on the vid so will post once it's all done.

kodak wrote: »
    not having a good run of it zubair, time to change the bike !

hope your ok

Ah I know, nightmare, the bike is taking some hiding. crash bungs took the brunt of it. Need to get some four leaf clovers installed now.

Zubair sorry to hear that! It's only metal once your alright.

• Advertisement

Well I got home without much fuss this evening. M2 was fine. The N2 got a bit snowy and icy North of ashbourne but I just kept it smooth. My estate was like an ice rink. Nearly slipped when I was walking from the bike to the front door FFS.

Meant to be a bad morning tomorrow. Currently 1 degrees here with snow still on the ground so will we very the slippy in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Hope everyone got home ok last night! Saw an abandoned bike on N81 as the road was just too frozen to keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I looked out the window this morning saw ice all over the road and though best get the bus this morning. Probably would have been fine once getting out of the estate but i want to sell my bike and the last thing i need is wrecking one of the fairings. If you go slow is it handy enough going straight on icy/frosty/snowy roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Downwind

rowanh wrote: »
    I looked out the window this morning saw ice all over the road and though best get the bus this morning. Probably would have been fine once getting out of the estate but i want to sell my bike and the last thing i need is wrecking one of the fairings. If you go slow is it handy enough going straight on icy/frosty/snowy roads?

In and out to work all the time turned back home this morning, one car in a ditch , kept going , next accident road was closed and ambulance on the scene, got some strange looks and took its as a sign. Home now alive with 4 kids crying about frozen hands, life's short . Mind your selves. Johnny.

rowanh wrote: »

Fresh frost or a bit of snow like yesterday and I am happy enough to take it smooth and steady on the bike as it saves me loads of time once I hit town.

Days like today however (in Meath) where the ice and snow has hung around all day with cars driving over it and then freezes again on top of it. The bike stays in the shed.

My estate and back garden where covered in black I've today. I took the car today as a result.

If it's not one thing it's another. Serious winds out there now

If it's not one thing it's another. Serious winds out there now

Drove back from training a while ago in the van and its pretty bad alright. Came across a couple of very large branches that had fallen of trees. As for the rain ...It was like driving through a car wash all the way back. 9 degrees here in meath that is some change from last night.

Keep an eye out foe debris on the road in the morning guys:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

In the car today and even had a few ropey moments on the N7 on the way home, and I like to think i don't spook easy on 4 wheels. Take it handy out there, it's to be as bad tomorrow in the daytime.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    In the car today and even had a few ropey moments on the N7 on the way home, and I like to think i don't spook easy on 4 wheels. Take it handy out there, it's to be as bad tomorrow in the daytime.

Minus 5 leaving the house today and minus 3 when I arrived to work. Was toasty with all my gear but I think I need new gloves as my fingers were frozen.
    Any recommendations??igjg fly into mega bikes at lunch and see what they have .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Minus 5 leaving the house today and minus 3 when I arrived to work. Was toasty with all my gear but I think I need new gloves as my fingers were frozen.
    Any recommendations??igjg fly into mega bikes at lunch and see what they have .
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/oxford-handlebar-muffs-for-motorcycles

Advertisement