Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Today's commute!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

It's the biggest issue I face too. The pain in the fingers today was chronic. Those muffs look the business though... I even have heated grips but the fingertips are more on the levers when trying to commute through the traffic so don't benefit from them.

@leppla - let us know what other alternatives you come across. Or even a decent pair of gloves at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

scorn wrote: »
    It's the biggest issue I face too. The pain in the fingers today was chronic. Those muffs look the business though... I even have heated grips but the fingertips are more on the levers when trying to commute through the traffic so don't benefit from them.

@leppla - let us know what other alternatives you come across. Or even a decent pair of gloves at a reasonable price.

Richa ice polar gtx seem to get good reviews . As do richa artic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Held Artic are the business....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Held Artic are the business....

Yeah I think it's between held artic, richa artic and richa cold protect.

The richa artic are a good bit cheaper so might be worth a try.
    Gonna buy a pair at lunch so a bit of research to be done now

Well Id go for the Held, Id say the better build quality will stand you in the long run. Held are a very well made glove......

• Advertisement

leppla wrote: »
    Gonna buy a pair at lunch so a bit of research to be done now

What sort of price are you looking at? (I know - I could google it myself :))

Well Id go for the Held, Id say the better build quality will stand you in the long run. Held are a very well made glove......

Have the held warm and dry about 3 years now commuting and they are still on good nick. But a change to richa might be nice too

Have the held warm and dry about 3 years now commuting and they are still on good nick. But a change to richa might be nice too

HELD ARTICS have been ordered. Had a 15% off ode for getgeared so worked out alright.

HELD ARTICS have been ordered. Had a 15% off ode for getgeared so worked out alright.

Final €€?

(edit: just checked the site - ouch! £120 - let us know how they fare!

edit 2: great site, by the way)

• Advertisement

Final €€?

105 sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That money is well spend if they last years of commuting and keep your hands warm

Cienciano wrote: »
    That money is well spend if they last years of commuting and keep your hands warm

Absolutely. Hands are needed for important things like the front brake, no point being so cold you can't use them.

Will let yas know how they fair out. I'm a cold creature anyway with poor circulation to hands and feet so hopefully they will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i bought these RICHA-WIND-CUFF-GORE-TEX-WATERPROOF-WP-WINTER-WINDPROOF.... the only thing is they are still bloody freezing... should have spent the money on heated grips.

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    i bought these RICHA-WIND-CUFF-GORE-TEX-WATERPROOF-WP-WINTER-WINDPROOF.... the only thing is they are still bloody freezing... should have spent the money on heated grips.

That's a pity! That's something that bothered me when looking for new winter gloves. I kept asking myself how I was meant to know if what new gloves would be warmer than the ones I already have?? No way to no without buying them.

I have heated grips and hand guards on my bike but mornings like today at - 5 for 45 min on the bike is actually -17 at 80mph. Maybe I'm just a pansy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I have heated grips and hand guards on my bike but mornings like today at - 5 for 45 min on the bike is actually -17 at 80mph. Maybe I'm just a pansy

80mph.... total pansy! ;)

You could have the warmest gloves on the market, but if they dont fit you right your hands will be cold. If the gloves are too tight no air can circulate and therefore the warm air cannot make a barrier around the fingers so to speak and get your fingers warm. Same was if the gloves are too loose too much air is around the fingers and cannot get warm enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I could do with rewaterproofing my richa artics - must try and work out how old they are.. at least 2 years methinks

Does anyone use heated gloves? As I mentioned before, I have heated grips but when commuting (in Dublin on the Quays in my case) your fingers tend to be on the levers more than the grips. Just wondering their effectiveness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I have the Richa Ice Polar GTX gloves. Bought them especially for winter and im happy. Keep my hands warm enough on my commute (50km one way) and are 100% waterproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Does anyone use heated gloves? As I mentioned before, I have heated grips but when commuting (in Dublin on the Quays in my case) your fingers tend to be on the levers more than the grips. Just wondering their effectiveness...

When I read up on them, they seemed like too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

From what I've read heated gloves do a btter job as they heat the tops of your hands but if you're commuting in town surely a good set of winter gloves are enough as you're not doing motorway speeds (I hope :P).

zubair wrote: »
    ...you're not doing motorway speeds (I hope :P).

Too many cyclists in the way for that - otherwise...! :D

Thanks - I think for the few days when it's in the minuses I can get by without them. I think a decent set of winter gloves is in order. Mine just don't stand up to it (HG - but probably not their best pair either).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Downwind

homemade mittens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

To have warm hands you really need to have something that blocks or throws the wind away from your hands.
    Bar Muffs, Barkbuster type handguards or a wide fairing that pushes the wind away will all make a huge difference.
    Wind is the enemy of warm hands, even heated grips don't work that well if the wind is blasting over your hands.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    To have warm hands you really need to have something that blocks or throws the wind away from your hands.
    Bar Muffs, Barkbuster type handguards or a wide fairing that pushes the wind away will all make a huge difference.
    Wind is the enemy of warm hands, even heated grips don't work that well if the wind is blasting over your hands.

Yep, agree with that. People are mad for heated grips, but deflecting the wind is way more effective imho. Although it takes away from the look/style of certain bikes

Yep, agree with that. People are mad for heated grips, but deflecting the wind is way more effective imho. Although it takes away from the look/style of certain bikes
    Hard to have a good look or style when its on its side and sliding down the road because you couldn't use the controls.
    :D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hard to have a good look or style when its on its side and sliding down the road because you couldn't use the controls.
    :D

Rather that than muffs on the ducati

Rather that than muffs on the ducati
    Which Ducati? Multis and Monsters are easy to fit out with handguards, ST4's as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Because Im a big windbag who doesn't like ice and frost, today was the first time I commuted by bike in a couple of weeks. It was nice to be back on the bike, and have a bit of a lie in, knowing I would easily make it to work on time.

Advertisement