Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Today's commute!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

lennymc wrote: »
    Because Im a big windbag who doesn't like ice and frost, today was the first time I commuted by bike in a couple of weeks. It was nice to be back on the bike, and have a bit of a lie in, knowing I would easily make it to work on time.

You'll be putting the bike away again so. Latest forecast for the week:
    For Wednesday night and the rest of the week it will be bitterly cold as a strong and blustery Northwest airflow becomes established over the country. It will be windy with frequent wintry showers giving falls of sleet and snow and accumulations of several cms of snow are likely in many areas, particularly in the North and West.

On Thursday night and for Friday the wintry showers will become confined more to exposed Northern and Western parts with more in the way of winter sunshine coming through. It will stay very cold with wind-chill. Daytime temperatures 4 to 6 degrees at best and nights will be at freezing or several degrees below with frost and ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You'll be putting the bike away again so. Latest forecast for the week:

saw that alright. luckily my car is awd and is currently shod with winter tyres. Bring on the snow! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Because Im a big windbag who doesn't like ice and frost, today was the first time I commuted by bike in a couple of weeks. It was nice to be back on the bike, and have a bit of a lie in, knowing I would easily make it to work on time.
    saw that alright. luckily my car is awd and is currently shod with winter tyres. Bring on the snow! :)
    I'm in the same boat. Bike today, but if it's raining/frost/snow it's the car.
    Today was touch and go for taking the bike cos the roads were so wet this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I am not in the mood for cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

two days in a row!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

oh sweet cheeses - I need new gloves/muffs...

leppla - have you those new gloves yet and given them a test? This morning would be a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Last year I ended up having to get handlebar muffs. It doesn't matter what gloves I wore, eventually my hands got frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Decent bit of snow falling this morning on the way it. Very pleased with how the new gloves and jacket performed.

I used to pull the bike out of the shed in the mornings and then go in and get geared up, this resulted in cold hands going into cold gloves and its hard ( for my hands anyways) to build up the heat again.

I know put the gloves on or beside the radiator for 5 min before I go, I also wear the bike gear in the house for 5 min. It means you build up a nice layer of heat before you get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

leppla wrote: »
    I know put the gloves on or beside the radiator for 5 min before I go, I also wear the bike gear in the house for 5 min. It means you build up a nice layer of heat before you get going.

I put the gear on before going out - but as you said above, the hands get icy getting the lock off, the bike ready and the gate opened...

And I had my gloves on the kettle for 5 minutes after it had boiled. Makes the difference :P

Another tip I picked up was to wash your hands with warm water just before you go out. No point having warm gloves and cold hands, this way my hands have been warmed too.

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Another tip I picked up was to wash your hands with warm water just before you go out. No point having warm gloves and cold hands, this way my hands have been warmed too.

Actually tried that this morning !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Put all your gear on, push your bike 30m, not enough to make you sweat but enough to raise your temp a few degrees. Start and warm up then ride off.
    If you don't get a little heat into your muscles before you leave you won't warm up.
    You are largely sedentary and a little muscle heat will make all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

do a few starjumps :pac:

What a spin home in the snow. Actually really enjoyed it once I got going. Met a lad on a ktm adventure who agreed that the pin locks where not up to that weather riding slow around town.

Hop everyone got home safe. Looks like tomorrow will be a day for the car as I reckon the estate will be covered by morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Only lid i ever had that the pinlock was absolutely perfect in was the HJC-IS17.
    The pinlock didnt sit on the visor, the visor has a recess that the pinlock sat into.

No matter how cold it was out you could wear the lid and it will never even fog up slightly.

goodlad wrote: »
    Only lid i ever had that the pinlock was absolutely perfect in was the HJC-IS17.
    The pinlock didnt sit on the visor, the visor has a recess that the pinlock sat into.

No matter how cold it was out you could wear the lid and it will never even fog up slightly.

Yes my Arai also has that recess and min was fitted by an Arai tech when I bought it. Never any fogging what so ever before in any weather, But a small bit the last few weeks and a lot today in town.

Actually now I think of it, the pin lock stopped performing at its best around the time I fitted my taller screen. I wonder is the lack of airflow affecting its performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Partly wished I was on the bike going home today, but the n7 was probably too bad for filtering, could have done with it in town though.

My pinlock doesn't fit my visor either, there's a very obvious gap but for some strange reason it never fogs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw a few lads filtering on the N7 inbound at around 5pm, was very slippy there. Saw a few cars and a bus sliding out of their lane too.
    Seemed to snow a good bit all day but it wasnt till the shower at about half 4 that it started to stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

pretty bad yesterday, but grand again today

Wossack wrote: »
    pretty bad yesterday, but grand again today

Yes no problems today at all. Our irish weather is brilliant.

• Advertisement

Yes no problems today at all. Our irish weather is brilliant.

It was like a summers day commuting this morning :D

And then I read this, of course it's to be taken with a pinch of salt
    FORECATERS are warning more treacherous conditions are on the way over the next five days - as the country experiences a blast of colder conditions.

More snow showers are likely near north and west coasts and on hills tomorrow, with a risk of more icy conditions on Sunday morning as temperatures drop to -4C.

Cold today but roads were dry and it good nick. Very enjoyable spin in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Cold today but roads were dry and it good nick. Very enjoyable spin in today.

'Twas like summer! (apart from the cold)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Managed to get out for a spin myself in the evening, roads were grand. I'd still be nervous of them in the morning before the thaw though. Can't wait for a couple of weeks when it'll have warmed up hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Someone was asking about heated gloves, just saw these are 80 pounds down from 130 with a code listed on the page.

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/exo-2-stormshield-heated-gloves-wp-black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I use Gerbings. Great gloves. They were needed this morning. -3 leaving the house. They heat up within 2/3 mins

Had to clean the rear tyre of the bike before leaving this morning. I noticed a layer of black oily slime on the tyre. And not just a bit I mean the stuff was caked on.

What the **** are these cowboys spreading on the roads at all. Anyways just a heads up for you guys to check your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    Had to clean the rear tyre of the bike before leaving this morning. I noticed a layer of black oily slime on the tyre. And not just a bit I mean the stuff was caked on.

What the **** are these cowboys spreading on the roads at all. Anyways just a heads up for you guys to check your own.

I noticed it in the car today. Roads just seemed greasey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I noticed it in the car today. Roads just seemed greasey

My car is destroyed the last few weeks, definitely using some sort of chemical ****e, or way too much salt, way worse than previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yeah even on the motorway it seemed slippy

Advertisement