Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best EPL goalkeeper

• 13-01-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread and De Geas land slide victory:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359548

Who do you rate is the best EPL goalkeeper?

Who is the best keeper in the EPL? 460 votes

Szczesny
    0% 0 votes
    Guzan
    1% 5 votes
    Heaton
    1% 7 votes
    Courtois
    0% 2 votes
    Speroni
    37% 172 votes
    Howard
    0% 2 votes
    McGregor
    0% 4 votes
    K Schmeichel
    0% 1 vote
    Mignolet
    0% 0 votes
    Hart
    5% 25 votes
    De Gea
    0% 1 vote
    Krul
    40% 188 votes
    Green
    0% 4 votes
    Begovic
    0% 2 votes
    Pantilimon
    1% 7 votes
    Forster
    0% 4 votes
    Fabiniski
    2% 11 votes
    Lloris
    0% 0 votes
    Foster
    5% 25 votes
    Adrian
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

As much as i love De gea, Courtois is a level above him imo.

Edit
    1 Courtois
    2 De Gea
    3 Cech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Poll will follow......gimme a second :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ever or atm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Of all time?

Ever or atm?
    brevity wrote: »
    Of all time?

Right now.....

• Advertisement

I've also left out Cech as hes only played 2 and a bit games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

While De Gea is having an excellent season, Tibo is still the better keeper for me. Dominates the box, excellent shot stopper and has proved it consistently over the last few seasons both at Atletico and Chelsea.

De Gea's shot stopping is excellent but he is very very reluctant to come off his line and Rahem Sterling made him look good in the game against Liverpool which everyone was raving about him afterwards. His save for Baines penalty at the start of the season was probably the best penalty save i've seen in the league in a long time.

Cech a close third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think Courtois may be only second to Neuer in the World so would have to go with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Courtois by a mile, and I think De Gea is top class...
    Both in the top 7/8 these days, but I think Courtois and Neuer are a cut above the rest.

Courtois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Thibaut Courtois.

That he's 22 and so good is something else. The same can be said about the also wonderful and young De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Loris

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

De Gea is on form but Courtois, LLoris and Krul are the only others that stand out. Begovic to an extent but a lot of meh keepers....yup i`m talking about you Mignolet, Hart and Szczesny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Loris

Would definitely be in the conversation and on a par with De Gea but I think Courtois is just a class above both.

I think the EPL has an abudance of good GK's and a clutch of excellent ones in Lloris, Cech, Courtois and De Gea.

If Cech had started as our number 1 it would be between him and De Gea for me but as Courtois has started ahead of him I'd give him my vote.

Thats no slight on De Gea who is a fantastic GK and will also, only improve as time goes on.

Courtois
    De Gea
    Lloris

I've stated my reasons for not picking Cech but as a number 2, we've got the best sub GK around, including Valdes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

De Gea is immense and will probably inevitably lead this poll due to the quantity of United fans on the forum, but I can't look past Courtois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

PS. Can the person who voted Sczeszny please stand up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Courtois.

De Gea might be a marginally the better shot stopper (that might even be generous), but Courtois' command of his area might only be second to Neuer, and it might even be on par with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

De Gea is a better shot stopper, better at one v ones and has better distribution. Courtois has better command of the area.

De Gea wins out imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lloris is an excellent keeper, but I think it's clearly between de Gea and Courtois. Courtois wins out for me, but both are obviously top class keepers, and nearly as good as Mignolet :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

1. Courtois
    2. Lloris
    3. De Gea

Spurs fan and the only 'keeper I'd take over Hugo is Courtois. I would like to see how Courtois would perform behind a poor defence but everyting I've seen from him would suggest be would still be top drawer.

I forgot to make the poll public. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Thought people would be decent enough to put club favouritism aside and be Courtois enough to vote for the best keeper: Dave the save :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

1 De Gea
    2 Courtious
    3 Lloris
    4 Begovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think its really even between de gea and Courtois.

de gea i feel is the better shot stopper but Courtois is miles ahead on gathering crosses and commanding his box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

1: Courtois
    2: De Gea
    3: Cech
    4: Lloris

Obviously with Cech not playing, Lloris moves up the one, and I'd put him in the same category as DDG, there's very little between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

De Gea although im basing it on just what Ive seen in the PL. I didnt see much of courtoius at athletico and I havent seen him have to do too much at Chelsea. De Gea has been top class the past season and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd like to see Courtois playing behind the chuckleheads that De Gea has had to put up with. Instead for the past few years he has been playing in very solidly defensive teams which makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd like to see Courtois playing behind the chuckleheads that De Gea has had to put up with. Instead for the past few years he has been playing in very solidly defensive teams which makes a massive difference.

When he's called upon in matches, he certainly delivers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Like just for "chuckleheads"

I think De Gea has performed better this season (he's had to), but I couldn't surmise that he's a better keeper as a result.

Courtois is like a boxer picking easy fights (through no fault of his own), he's just got an easier job with Chelsea's back four. FOUR Louis, FOUR defenders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd have Courtois and De Gea on the same level. They both have strengths and weaknesses that the other don't have as much of. I normally prefer keepers of Courtois' style but club bias probably makes me like De Gea more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Courtois

LLoris

De Gea

Begovic

Can't see how De Gea gets so highly praised. Fair enough, he'd be up there in shotstopping and reflex saves. Put him under most crosses above head height he generally doesn't impose himself on it, but that's down to his slighter stature imo. 1v1 most strikers would see a better chance than say against the likes of Courtois or lloris.

Courtois

LLoris

De Gea

Begovic

Can't see how De Gea gets so highly praised. Fair enough, he'd be up there in shotstopping and reflex saves. Put him under most crosses above head height he generally doesn't impose himself on it, but that's down to his slighter stature imo. 1v1 most strikers would see a better chance than say against the likes of Courtois or lloris.

It's funny that you make that point and put Lloris ahead of him yet de Gea is a good bit better at commanding his area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Blatter wrote: »
    It's funny that you make that point and put Lloris ahead of him yet de Gea is a good bit better at commanding his area.

Yeah you're right, Lloris can be piss poor at times under the ball too. Probably gets a lot less scrutiny as he doesn't play for one of the CL chasing teams.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Every keeper makes mistakes.
    Here is Courtois making one

Oh I agree, though in De Gea's case I'd say he wishes it was "one".

But I guess he shows that if you throw yourself around enough and do the spectacular, people forget the howlers in various games over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If I had to pick one to be my keeper for the next 10 years I'd easily go with Courtois.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

If thats the case then Speroni from Crystal Palace should get everyones vote. Its more impressive to make a great save when you've had nothing to do for 20-30 minutes then to continue making them imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Courtois>De Gea>>>>>>the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

But I guess he shows that if you throw yourself around enough and do the spectacular, people forget the howlers in various games over the years.

Oh jesus give it a rest will you. All keepers make mistakes on occasion, even the best in history, it comes with the position. You make it sound like he's making a blunder every other week ffs. I'd be certain Courtois has made more mistakes than just that "one" in his short career only I'm not bothered enough to go looking through google and different websites to check.

De Gea's problems with adapting to the PL is well documented, but it was to be expected of a 20 year old moving country to take over from a legend as the number 1 of one of the biggest clubs in the world. There was inevitably going to be a settling in period. What matters is how he has developed into currently one of the best in the league and the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Courtois at a canter.

If de Gea reproduces this type of form over a couple of seasons we could start to reconsider.

He was good last season, great this season.

Courtois has been great for about 3 seasons now and has to be considered the best in the league (although there's definitely an argument for de Gea's performances this season being better, and an argument for him being on track for team of the year. This doesn't quite make me able to consider him a better goalkeeper though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Coutrois and De Gea are having excellent seasons, I reckon if Cech were getting regular game time he'd be the one to beat.

Panthro wrote: »
    Coutrois and De Gea are having excellent seasons, I reckon if Cech were getting regular game time he'd be the one to beat.

Really? Cech of the last few seasons wasn't as good as either Courtois or de Gea are now, a clear level below IMO.

Now Cech of 2004-07 would be a different matter but he's long past that level, albeit still a top class keeper.

3 votes for Mignolet :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Augeo wrote: »
    3 votes for Mignolet :confused:

Best in terms of entertainment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Do you have anymore irrelevant clips from 3 years ago to back up your strawman point?

In terms of saves per goal De Gea wins, in distribution accuracy De Gea wins, in catches Courtois wins. Pretty close, I'm actually going to throw it out there that in both team's current iterations if you swapped them around they'd be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

De Gea, then Lloris then Courtois for me. There's some seriously good goalkeepers in England though - or maybe the lack of seriously good defenders who don't play for Chelsea make the current batch of keepers look good as they certainly get kept busy.

Hart is underrated on here but is a clear step below those three and Cech. Forster has had a cracking season as has Rob Greem to be fair to him.

Liam O wrote: »
    Do you have anymore irrelevant clips from 3 years ago to back up your strawman point?

Oh no no no!

You see, when my point is that a goalkeeper has made some howlers, links to those howlers are neither irrelevant nor strawmen. In fact, I would say they are pretty much bang on the money, they illustrate precisely that point. If you disagree, could you be more specific as to why examples of howlers are not relevant to "goalkeeper prone to howlers" point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

All goalkeepers make mistakes. Young keepers will make plenty because so much of goalkeeping is about decisions and positioning - both of which come with age and with learning from previous gaffs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement