Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best EPL goalkeeper

Comments

shrewdness wrote: »
    Oh jesus give it a rest will you. All keepers make mistakes on occasion, even the best in history, it comes with the position. You make it sound like he's making a blunder every other week ffs. I'd be certain Courtois has made more mistakes than just that "one" in his short career only I'm not bothered enough to go looking through google and different websites to check.

ManYooo fan annoyed at de Gea criticism? Well I'm shocked at this, just...shocked!

:D:D

Beefy78 wrote: »
    All goalkeepers make mistakes. Young keepers will make plenty because so much of goalkeeping is about decisions and positioning - both of which come with age and with learning from previous gaffs.

Oh absolutely.

Just amused at the efforts to almost whitewash them, and that posters seem almost annoyed to see some of them listed.

De Gea has had a few from the Taibi manual. He has certainly improved though, and is in very good form in recent months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Oh no no no!

You see, when my point is that a goalkeeper has made some howlers, links to those howlers are neither irrelevant nor strawmen. In fact, I would say they are pretty much bang on the money, they illustrate precisely that point. If you disagree, could you be more specific as to why examples of howlers are not relevant to "goalkeeper prone to howlers" point?

Yeah, the fact you brought up 3 mistakes which are presumably all you could remember. One from 3 years ago and one from a league cup game a year ago in the club's worst period in 20 years where everyone was bad. One from this season where the article you linked to was actually complimentary of him. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Mignolet votes have to be ironic, we haven't had a solid goalkeeper since Pepe Reina and even he had his moments with crosses.

Liverpool just don't do world class keepers, even grobelaar was shakey back in the day!

Lloris is the most under rated looking at this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I voted for De Gea, but i was meant to pick Courtois. Can't change my vote :(

Courtois 1st, De Gea 2nd and Lloris 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

6 for Mignolet, 1 more than Lloris...poll needs to be public!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

ManYooo fan annoyed at de Gea criticism? Well I'm shocked at this, just...shocked!

:D:D

Great response there, really backed up your original point.

All keepers have mistakes. A young keeper moving country to a big club will inevitable have some teething problems. But you make it sound like it's a regular occurrence, which it's not.

I would say to leave club bias out of this but you seem incapable of that. I may be a "ManYoo" fan, but you don't have to be one to see your overall point about De Gea is BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Oh absolutely.

Just amused at the efforts to almost whitewash them, and that posters seem almost annoyed to see some of them listed.

De Gea has had a few from the Taibi manual. He has certainly improved though, and is in very good form in recent months.

What do mistakes from 3/4 seasons ago have to do with current ability. Bale was a crap lb years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Bale was never a crap left back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Bale was never a crap left back.

Yes he was. He couldn't defend for his life, he was in teams for excellent frees and blinding speed, but he was no great shakes as a lb.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah, the fact you brought up 3 mistakes which are presumably all you could remember. One from 3 years ago and one from a league cup game a year ago in the club's worst period in 20 years where everyone was bad. One from this season where the article you linked to was actually complimentary of him. Good job.

Better effort, at least you addressed the points rather than made the bizarre claim that links to gaffes was not relevant to the suggestion that he made gaffes!

The article was saying that he made a howler, but that he has progressed. Which is the point I made.

Look, we both agree he made a howler anyway, to add to the others, and it's good that we agree.

Yes he was. He couldn't defend for his life, he was in teams for excellent frees and blinding speed, but he was no great shakes as a lb.

I saw him in person twice for Southampton in 2006/07. Both matches he put in almost the complete full-back performance dominating from a position that I've never seen a player dominate a game before other than Cafu. It was ridiculous how much the boy oozed class and was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.

It was no surprise that every big club in the country was willing to spend millions on him. He was never crap and the fact that it took so long for him to make the grade at Spurs says more about Harry Redknapp than it does about Gareth Bale.

What do mistakes from 3/4 seasons ago have to do with current ability. Bale was a crap lb years ago

2 of the 3 articles were about de Gea gaffes within the past year. 1 earlier this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Courtois easily for me, surprised it's so close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

De Gea for me. Courtois is a victim of his solid defence in a poll like this.
    De Gea has comfortably been the standout goalkeeper this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Courtois easily for me, surprised it's so close.

Courtois ain`t in the league long so its harder to actually judge him unless you watched Atletico a lot and De Gea has had a Shay Given esque season where he has practically been a one man defense making save after save.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

shrewdness wrote: »
    Great response there, really backed up your original point.

A young keeper moving country to a big club will inevitable have some teething problems. But you make it sound like it's a regular occurrence, which it's not.

Courtois has done this twice with no issues?

He was immense for Athletico last season. Without him they would not have won the league; so many 1 goal victories that he was instrumental in.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Kiith wrote: »
    I voted for De Gea, but i was meant to pick Courtois. Can't change my vote :(

No, no, don't be sad, you actually made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

elefant wrote: »
    Courtois has done this twice with no issues? He was immense for Athletico last season. Without him they would not have won the league; so many 1-0 victories that he was instrumental in.

Courtois is both older and more experienced than De Gea was when he moved to the Premier League. Not to mention that he's a physically bigger presence anyway, so he was able to adapt much quicker. When De Gea joined Man Utd he really was just a boy, he had to put on alot more muscle to cope physically.

I know Spain was a different country for Courtois also, but I was thinking mainly of the PL when I wrote that, given it's a more physical league for keepers to deal with. De Gea had done well with Atletico but it was a big change coming to Utd, especially at such a big club and taking over from a legend like VDS. It also didn't help that once he made a mistake or two the English media were on his back immediately and didn't let off for quite some time. He's shown great mental strength to get through that and become the keeper he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Courtois, without doubt. Doesn't let himself get bullied by anybody, you always feel he is complete control. He's certainly not as flashy as De Gea but he makes the hard saves look so easy.

De Gea and Lloris are probably the best shot stoppers in the league but I'd wonder how many goals they could have prevented this season if they hadn't been glued to their line. Chelsea haven't conceded from a corner this season and that is largely down to Courtois.

For me if De Gea ever wants to be considered on the same level as the likes of Van Der Sar or Schmeichel he needs to take charge of his box and have the bravery to come for balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker- wrote: »
    Courtois, without doubt. Doesn't let himself get bullied by anybody, you always feel he is complete control. He's certainly not as flashy as De Gea but he makes the hard saves look so easy.

De Gea and Lloris are probably the best shot stoppers in the league but I'd wonder how many goals they could have prevented this season if they hadn't been glued to their line. Chelsea haven't conceded from a corner this season and that is largely down to Courtois.

For me if De Gea ever wants to be considered on the same level as the likes of Van Der Sar or Schmeichel he needs to take charge of his box and have the bravery to come for balls.

TBF to him, hes improved that this year but I'd agree about Courtois, his starting positions for corners and free kicks is usually very positive and as soon as hes made up his mind to go for it, hes usually first to the ball stopping any danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I saw him in person twice for Southampton in 2006/07. Both matches he put in almost the complete full-back performance dominating from a position that I've never seen a player dominate a game before other than Cafu. It was ridiculous how much the boy oozed class and was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.
    Funny that you'd argue that, seeing as Cafu couldn't defend particularly well either :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Mignolet having double the amount of votes as Lloris makes a joke of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lukker- wrote: »

Or something to do with having one of the best headers of the ball in the league. Terry, Ivanovic, Matic, Cahill, Costa are just brilliant at attacking and defending set pieces.

I agree with his starting position for free kicks and corners though. He is very positive and always attacks the ball.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Or something to do with having one of the best headers of the ball in the league. Terry, Ivanovic, Matic, Cahill, Costa are just brilliant at attacking and defending set pieces.

Drogba as well. You'd be asking questions of them if they were shipping goals at set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Mignolet having double the amount of votes as Lloris makes a joke of the whole thing.

Mignolet is a talented keeper !!! He just has a shocking defence in front of him and it makes him look a whole lot worse .

I think I'll split the Mignolet votes between Courtois and De Gea, seems only fair. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Thread needs to be made public. Some of those votes badly need to be named and shamed.

Unsurprisingly they're largely the ones who didn't post in relation to their selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

im a utd fan and courtois is the better keeper imho.

I cant make it public now, the only thing I could do is start it again and make it public from there but do we really want that?

Peope can pick Mignolet for the lolz if they want, looking at the list though I'd have him probably 8th or 9th.

• Advertisement

Mignolet on almost 9%.

That's almost 1 in 10 having a good old laugh at it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Víctor Valdés i Arribas.

The greatest keeper in the greatest clubs history. The man encapsulates everything good in the world. You don't don the jersey of FC Barcelona and retain it for over a decade by winning a raffle ticket - You do it by graduating La Masia as the next great hope for Spanish football, NEIGH! World football. In this decade he has won it all. Not only leading his army of skill full hobbits to 6 La Ligas, 2 Copa del Rey's, 6 Supercopa de España's, 3 UEFA Champion Leagues, 2 UEFA Super Cups, 2 FIFA Club World Cups as well as being the motivational speaker at the 2010 World Cup that dragged the Reds from the crucibles of self doubt and low self esteem, to become champions of the world and bring the World Cup back to the only country that possesses the adequate footballing culture, knowledge, forgiveness and the only country that addresses the way the game is meant to be played - like a ballet being danced by the finest feet to ever set foot on soil, while the rest of the world gazes with their confused, salivating mouths open in awe and hairy knuckles still dragging against the floor.

"But, but.....those are team awards". Yes, yes. I knew you'd try and besmirch the role he has played because your small, feeble footballing minds cannot comprehend and articulate how the man has changed the game between the sticks so you resort to slanderous claims. WELL I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT.

The man has won so many prestigious individual awards that it would render your Neanderthal jaw in pain from trying to recite them all. But I'll pander to you and name but a few including 5 Zamora awards, 2 La Liga Keeper of the Year awards, 2010 ESM Team of the Year, 4 Great Spanish Bake Offs and the 2010 Prince of Asturias award.

They say the biggest miracle to take place on this spinning rock in the corner of space is when God impregnated a virgin woman so he could be born on this planet to get nailed to a cross and die for our sins. Well, ladies and gentleman, I feel this has fell just short - behind the birth of Victor Valdes.

Mes Què un Glove.

CSF wrote: »
    Thread needs to be made public. Some of those votes badly need to be named and shamed.

Unsurprisingly they're largely the ones who didn't post in relation to their selection.

I think you are taking the poll too seriously. It's like Atari Jaguar option in polls.

It's obviously between two keepers for the vast majority of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Forster for me. Great keeper for such a big lad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Keno wrote: »
    Víctor Valdés i Arribas.

The greatest keeper in the greatest clubs history. The man encapsulates everything good in the world. You don't don the jersey of FC Barcelona and retain it for over a decade by winning a raffle ticket - You do it by graduating La Masia as the next great hope for Spanish football, NEIGH! World football. In this decade he has won it all. Not only leading his army of skill full hobbits to 6 La Ligas, 2 Copa del Rey's, 6 Supercopa de España's, 3 UEFA Champion Leagues, 2 UEFA Super Cups, 2 FIFA Club World Cups as well as being the motivational speaker at the 2010 World Cup that dragged the Reds from the crucibles of self doubt and low self esteem, to become champions of the world and bring the World Cup back to the only country that possesses the adequate footballing culture, knowledge, forgiveness and the only country that addresses the way the game is meant to be played - like a ballet being danced by the finest feet to ever set foot on soil, while the rest of the world gazes with their confused, salivating mouths open in awe and hairy knuckles still dragging against the floor.

"But, but.....those are team awards". Yes, yes. I knew you'd try and besmirch the role he has played because your small, feeble footballing minds cannot comprehend and articulate how the man has changed the game between the sticks so you resort to slanderous claims. WELL I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT.

The man has won so many prestigious individual awards that it would render your Neanderthal jaw in pain from trying to recite them all. But I'll pander to you and name but a few including 5 Zamora awards, 2 La Liga Keeper of the Year awards, 2010 ESM Team of the Year, 4 Great Spanish Bake Offs and the 2010 Prince of Asturias award.

They say the biggest miracle to take place on this spinning rock in the corner of space is when God impregnated a virgin woman so he could be born on this planet to get nailed to a cross and die for our sins. Well, ladies and gentleman, I feel this has fell just short - behind the birth of Victor Valdes.

Mes Què un Glove.

I agree, Valdes, Courtois or Cech for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

De Gea isn't even close. Some people are buying into some good PR after a semi decent performance earlier in the year. Too slight to be as effective as he needs to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I wouldn't swap De Gea for Courtois so I'd have to pick him

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Mignolet votes are genuine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Augeo wrote: »
    3 votes for Mignolet :confused:

He's making a late surge , looks like it's a three horse race

Quazzie wrote: »
    De Gea isn't even close. Some people are buying into some good PR after a semi decent performance earlier in the year. Too slight to be as effective as he needs to be.

Yep, good PR is what has been saving our bacon all season...

• Advertisement

Yep, good PR is what has been saving our bacon all season...

He was terrible for Shawcross goal a couple of weeks back. He STILL has a problem coming into a crowd to clear a ball. He might be a good shot stopper but he isn't the keeper he is being made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

He was terrible for Shawcross goal a couple of weeks back. He STILL has a problem coming into a crowd to clear a ball. He might be a good shot stopper but he isn't the keeper he is being made out to be.

He never comes off his line. Still has a huge confidence issue in that regard imo.

Fair enough you think he might not be the best but to say he's not even close is almost laughable. He's been amazing in goals for Man Utd and extremely consistent despite being behind one of the most inconsistent defences in the league. He's also bulked up a huge amount since he arrived and shouldn't be considered "slight". Who do you consider him to be slight compared to...?

david-de-gea-manchester-united-muscle.jpg

Fair enough you think he might not be the best but to say he's not even close is almost laughable. He's been amazing in goals for Man Utd and extremely consistent despite being behind one of the most inconsistent defences in the league. He's also bulked up a huge amount since he arrived and shouldn't be considered "slight". Who do you consider him to be slight compared to...?

david-de-gea-manchester-united-muscle.jpg

He's among the lightest keepers in the Premier League. That might help his agility, but it doesn't help him if he wants to be an all round keeper. He is a lot lighter than Courtois, who I feel is the best in the league at the moment, and is even lighter than Szczesney. I know a leaner keeper is more fashionable nowadays but for me he is still too slight, and it affects how he plays the game to his detriment.

He's among the lightest keepers in the Premier League. That might help his agility, but it doesn't help him if he wants to be an all round keeper. He is a lot lighter than Courtois, who I feel is the best in the league at the moment, and is even lighter than Szczesney. I know a leaner keeper is more fashionable nowadays but for me he is still too slight, and it affects how he plays the game to his detriment.

Is Szczesney better than him?

Is Szczesney better than him?

Is that what you took from what I said?

• Advertisement

Is that what you took from what I said?

Did I say it was? I'm asking a question.

Did I say it was? I'm asking a question.

Overall I think both have a lot to progress, and De Gea currently has progressed more than I hoped Szcesney would have by now. Szcz is let down massively by his occasional, but regular poor decision making.

In terms of controlling an aerial ball in a crowded box, personally I'd have Szcz to be honest, and that is the point I was trying to make in my original post.

Overall I think both have a lot to progress, and De Gea currently has progressed more than I hoped Szcesney would have by now. Szcz is let down massively by his occasional, but regular poor decision making.

In terms of controlling an aerial ball in a crowded box, personally I'd have Szcz to be honest, and that is the point I was trying to make in my original post.

Just so you know for sure, it's not even close between them.

Just so you know for sure, it's not even close between them.

Why did Szcz win the Golden glove ahead of De Gea last year so?

Why did Szcz win the Golden glove ahead of De Gea last year so?

You serious? Arsenal won the most games to nil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement