Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best EPL goalkeeper

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

lloris is in 4th place, shouldnt that be Szczesny's :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just gonna do a top 10 there. Not much between top two and can argue it either way. Cech and Lloris also far ahead of the chasing pack.

1. De Gea
    2. Courtois
    3. Cech
    4. Lloris
    5. Begovic
    6. Hart
    7. Valdes
    8. Forster
    9. Szczesny
    10. Krul

byrneg28 wrote: »
    As in the format, or how I consider different goalkeepers being better than one another?

Both.

Break down how you came to it. What stats etc did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'd put Courtois very slightly ahead of De Gea, who is way ahead of the next best.

The 23 lads who voted Mignolet need a word with themselves. If he is Liverpools No 1 keeper on Feb 1st I'll lose the plot!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I doubt anyone who voted Mignolet was actually being serious. If the 21 PL keepers (incl Cech) were a PL table Courtois and De Gea would be fighting for top spot with Cech right there in the mix. Mignolet would be in battling relegation or hovering just above it. He defies physics and not for the right reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think some people are taking the results of this poll a little too seriously

Nobody actually thinks Mignolet is the best keeper in the league

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Joe Hart only got 1 vote so far, while his England understudy Forster got 8!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Raf32 wrote: »
    Just gonna do a top 10 there. Not much between top two and can argue it either way. Cech and Lloris also far ahead of the chasing pack.

1. De Gea
    2. Courtois
    3. Cech
    4. Lloris
    5. Begovic
    6. Hart
    7. Valdes
    8. Forster
    9. Szczesny
    10. Krul
    I know watching Villa is painful, but you should give it a go to have a look at Guzan, who's streets ahead of most in your top 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

COYVB wrote: »
    I know watching Villa is painful, but you should give it a go to have a look at Guzan, who's streets ahead of most in your top 10

I was gonna stick him in instead of Krul actually, thought I did but must have forgot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Coutois for me, but you got to feel Sorry for de gea stuck behind that make shift defense that cost around 80 million, poor fellow but still a fine goal keeper regardles probably third behind courtois and cech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Mignolet has the same amount of clean sheets as de Gea and courtois playing behind a worse defence so his votes are justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

niallo27 wrote: »
    Mignolet has the same amount of clean sheets as de Gea and courtois playing behind a worse defence so his votes are justified.

Even as a Liverpool supporter, this post is just all sorts of wrong.
    Mignolet has done little to prove he is a decent keeper, never mind being anywhere near as good as Courtois or De Gea.
    Most who voted for Mig were surely taking the piss, I know I was..

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Coutois for me, but you got to feel Sorry for de gea stuck behind that make shift defense that cost around 80 million, poor fellow but still a fine goal keeper regardles probably third behind courtois and cech

You have a lot of love to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ah come on you can't be serious.

Utd need to get De Gea on a new contract as Madrid are waiting in the wings. Next thing their players will be praising him in the press.

He's young so no hurry going there. Unless he wants guaranteed CL football and title challenges immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Doesn't that make Guzan better than them all then? Playing in the worst team with the worst defence and the same amount of clean sheets? (also less conceded than Mignolet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Mignolet has the same amount of clean sheets as de Gea and courtois playing behind a worse defence so his votes are justified..

Mignolet also can't catch a ball

Another delusional LFC fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

This isn't even biased just plainly unintelligent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jesus lads, he's clearly messing.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Mignolet also can't catch a ball

Another delusional LFC fan

It's also delusional to say he can't catch a ball.

He can catch a ball. He just misses every second cross.

He really should be paid on a pay per catch basis. That'd concentrate the mind.

Or put a photo of his kid on the ball.

Liverpool coaches need to think outside the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

rarnes1 wrote: »

He really should be paid on a pay per catch basis.

He'd be living on the streets in no time :pac:

Course I know he is ****e. I have watched him all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Quazzie wrote: »
    Szcz is let down massively by his occasional, but regular poor decision making.

I think this might be the funniest thing I've ever read on an internet forum.
    Liverpool coaches need to think outside the box

Most of Mignolet's problems are INSIDE the box though, it's a tricky one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

What's your favourite Mignolet moment?

I personally like this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How is Courtois not winning this comfortably? Another MOTM performance last night and you could tell early on that be it 90mins, 120mins or longer and Liverpool wouldn't have beaten him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Probably because De Gea's man of the season for United so far, we'd be a lot worse off without him

hard to really compare considering the defences in front of both for the past two seasons tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

8-10 wrote: »
    How is Courtois not winning this comfortably? Another MOTM performance last night and you could tell early on that be it 90mins, 120mins or longer and Liverpool wouldn't have beaten him!

The reason liverpool didn't score was mostly down to liverpool. There's nothing courtois did to stop Henderson scoring the header.

He made a few good saves you'd be expecting him to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The poll wasn't titled "Best keeper in league cup semi-final second leg".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No but he's been superb all season on the back of some brilliant performances for Atletico Madrid. Last night and last week was a continuation of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Mignolet was great for Sunderland, I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

EDIT: I'm not one of the eejits who voted for him here though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm just saying for me he's the clear winner. So young!

How is Courtois not winning this comfortably?

More Utd fans = more votes for De Gea, simples.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    More Utd fans = more votes for De Gea, simples.

You could argue that Liverpool fans and others would be mostly voting the non-United player... ;)

You could argue that Liverpool fans and others would be mostly voting the non-United player... ;)

I voted for mignolet.

I voted for Mignolet too

• Advertisement

They did, Mignolet :D

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They did, Mignolet :D

Only the weird ones...

Courtois is an incredible keeper. DeGea not on the same level yet.

Both Teebow and De Gea haven't reached the level Mignolet did last season in fairness

Both Teebow and De Gea haven't reached the level Mignolet did last season in fairness

DeGea reached it in his first few months.

Sean Bateman can testify to that. Sean if you're watching, give us a sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

DeGea reached it in his first few months.

Sean Bateman can testify to that. Sean if you're watching, give us a sign

If you say his name three times he appears wearing a De Gea mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

WhoScored.com rank (minimum of 10 games): 1. Pantilimon 2. Fabianski 3. Lloris 4. Green 5. Guzan 6. Adrian 7. de Gea 8. Courtois 9. Hart 10. Forster

Squawka.com rank (minimum of 10 games): 1. Fabianski 2. Forster 3. Pantilimon 4. Courtois 5. Begovic 6. Mignolet 7. Guzan 8. de Gea 9. Hart 10. Lloris

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

764dak wrote: »
    WhoScored.com rank (minimum of 10 games): 1. Pantilimon 2. Fabianski 3. Lloris 4. Green 5. Guzan 6. Adrian 7. de Gea 8. Courtois 9. Hart 10. Forster

Squawka.com rank (minimum of 10 games): 1. Fabianski 2. Forster 3. Pantilimon 4. Courtois 5. Begovic 6. Mignolet 7. Guzan 8. de Gea 9. Hart 10. Lloris

Whoscored.com ranks Cazorla, Jedinak ahead of Aguero.

James Tomkins is the best CB in the leauge and Danny Welbeck is the 15th best player in the league ahead of David Silva, Sterling, Tadic and Eriksen.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

De Gea, best shot stopper in the league and he has the best distribution I've probably ever seen for a keeper. Courtois is a very solid keeper who is the best in the league on crosses. Nothing between them other than De Gea's form. Considering United one of the meanest defences in the league with the back line and the amount of times De Gea has saved United this season I have to go for him.

Obviously there's bias there but he is undoubtedly one of the best.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

cournioni wrote: »
    De Gea, best shot stopper in the league and he has the best distribution I've probably ever seen for a keeper. Courtois is a very solid keeper who is the best in the league on crosses. Nothing between them other than De Gea's form. Considering United one of the meanest defences in the league with the back line and the amount of times De Gea has saved United this season I have to go for him.

I take back what I said. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

cournioni wrote: »

I think you can take back that part after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think you can take back that part after tonight.

Took a massive deflection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

That was fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Took a massive deflection

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

:rolleyes:

Why the rolleyes? It blatantly did. Regardless, one goal doesn't change the fact he is the best shot stopper in the league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement