Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatened this morning! :(

• 13-01-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Last year we were in a green near our park - Bailey was off lead, and small pup Lucy was on lead. A guy who we'd seen every morning for months came up the path behind Bailey and surprised him. Bailey put himself between the guy and me and started barking. The guy started shouting at both of us and stamping at Bailey freaking him out and making him bark more. I called Bailey and put him back on lead apologizing - it took me longer than I would have liked because I had Lucy on her flexi lead (blasted thing!) and she was getting tangled in my legs etc etc From then on every time I saw the guy I'd call Bailey to me and keep him with me until the guy passed even though he had no interest in him because his aggressiveness that morning frightened me and threw me off guard - we'd been passing him for months and he seemed nice enough.
    Fast forward to this morning in the park before it opened - I was distracted checking the time on my phone and I'm not sure what I heard first - barking or shouting but it was the same guy coming along the path towards us. He was roaring at me to control my dog but at the same time rushing up on the grass off the path towards Bailey and pushing him further away from me if that makes sense so I couldn't get near him - the second I could get close enough and the guy backed off Bailey stopped barking and sat like I told him. The guy was still roaring at me and threatening Bailey and in the heat of it I said something like how brave would he be if it was a man he was dealing with (I'm a 5 foot tall girl) and I'm not sure if it was just Bailey he threatened to "batter" or both of us because I was walking away from him at that stage.

I'm not even sure why I'm posting tbh. I'm not trying to excuse Bailey's behavior or anything. The whole thing has me a bit freaked out and worried about going back to the park tomorrow. On one hand I don't want to risk seeing the guy again but on the other I don't want to give up our morning off lead time in the park when I can keep to one area where I know I won't bump into him :( If only I hadn't taken out my phone I would have seen him and could have moved away.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Some people are just A$$holes,

ignore him, he's an idiot, if he threatens you again, call the Guards.

Your not breaking any law are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Horrible experience but those of us who let our dogs off lead have this price to pay. There will always be people like this, who are afraid of dogs, or aggressive towards dogs and frighten your dog so that it barks and the whole situation blows up. Best thing is to avoid where you see this guy, and keep your eyes peeled. Alternatively if it seemed worth it, you could approach him next time you see him in the park, with the dogs on leash, apologise for the chaos of Bailey barking, let him see that Bailey is not aggressive etc - and see if Bailey doesnt seem afraid of him/recognise him - if he is horrible/obnoxious, you will have tried to defuse the situation, and get your nice park off-leash time back again maybe... if not, then I guess avoidance...

Dont take it personally - not everyone is an animal lover - and those who arent are best avoided :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Your not breaking any law are you?

Am I breaking the law though if he's not under control?!

If a crisp packet had of blown past he would have had the same reaction! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

aonb wrote: »
    you could approach him next time you see him in the park,

I'm not sure how much of a good idea that is. It sounds like he is on a crusade or trying to make a point or something. He might just love the validation. And he is already being aggressive, or at least passive/aggressive.

Consider using a leash in that park if you are supposed to. If he behaves in a threatening manner on a regular basis you are going to have to report it to the guards. No one needs to put up with that kind of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Are dogs supposed to be muzzled when in public places?

I tried to find out but can't find the info'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Not they are not... why woud they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

As far as I know, only restricted breeds are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

tk123 wrote: »
    Am I breaking the law though if he's not under control?!

If a crisp packet had of blown past he would have had the same reaction! :rolleyes:

You may be breaking a bye-law in your own area by not having him on a lead, best to check the local Council website. On the other hand there are very few dog wardens left after the last few years of staff reductions so little chance of you getting in strife.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You may be breaking a bye-law in your own area by not having him on a lead, best to check the local Council website. On the other hand there are very few dog wardens left after the last few years of staff reductions so little chance of you getting in strife.

They're allowed off until 11:00am and last hour before closing in our park. The park was closed at the time - they leave one gate open for dog walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭jopax

He sounds like a bit of a loose cannon all right.
    As upsetting as the incident was I wouldn't leave him stop you walking your dogs there.

When you see him coming the next time just veer off in another direction.

I agree with what you said about turning on a woman, no sort of man IMO would do this.

If he had something to say he should have said it calmly in an non aggressive manner.

Off the topic, fair play to Bailey, at least you know he'll protect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Just general aggressiveness and noseyness I'm afraid. People honestly live sad lives to act like that.

Similar thing happened to myself last weekend actually. Myself and my Dad took our 8 month pug to the local park and had him on a flexi lead.. The park is extremely rural with lane ways and lakes etc it's not a very busy public park like Stephens Green for example. Anyways, we got to a really quiet lane that leads around one of the lakes and allowed the lead to go to its longest.. there was nobody about and even if there had have been we still would have probably done the same thing as he is an extremely friendly pup. Nowhere in the park does it say that dogs need to be on leads might I add but we kept him on the lead anyways because due to his friendly nature he tends to wander towards over to people when he spots them, 99% of the time to the delight of other people!

So in the quiet lane way dad climbed up on to an embankment on the right hand side of the lane that led up to a forest area and wanted to show me where an old swing rope used to be.. Myself and Gus (my dog) followed, still on the long lead, up the embankment. It was fairly slippy with leaves etc and Gus was happy enough sniffing through the terrain. Next thing, a man running suddenly appeared on the lane way- he was running pretty fast and I definitely wouldn't have called it jogging so I honestly didn't have time to pull the lead in or grab Gus because of the slippiness. Gus, excited at seeing someone running, suddenly bolted down the embankment and headed out on to the laneway- still on the long lead. The runner, who jolted to the left hand side of the laneway roared and kicked my dog in the process who then started to cry because of the kick. He started roaring at myself and my dad for not having the dog on a more controlled lead etc etc and shouted at us for not having him properly trained. I'm extremely grateful that my dad was there with me because this man got very very aggressive, swearing etc and saying stuff like "There's people here like me trying to f***ing go for a jog". Yes, I understand that the runner was maybe wary that the dog may have lashed out on him or whatever but that behaviour is still not on- kicking an animal, a puppy!! If we had have been on the laneway I could have jolted him in pretty quickly if he had done the same. He could have easily slowed down when he seen Gus running towards him but kept at his speed. And there was no need for the aggressiveness one bit- completely over the top and pretty much announcing that he had superiority over other park users just because he was a f***ing runner!!!

Anyways, my point is ignore these kind of ignorant people. Just looking for a good topic to rant on about when they get home. So long as your dog hasn't physically harmed anyone, enjoy your park and your walks as you have the same entitlement to this enjoyment as everyone else. Your dog just probably knows that your man is a complete d***head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

You need to get him a muzzle. The human who threatened you that is.

And I agree with ignoring the chap, people like him are intimidating (I can understand as a 5' 3' woman myself!) but they are often all talk because they know it works in making people feel as bad as they do themselves, it was probably just another thing in his day that pissed him off and you just ended up the one he let off at. Don't let it stop you or your dogs from enjoying themselves. I think most dogs would react the same way as your did. Only yesterday I was walking my two, the moment we got into the park there was an older man coming up behind us, well wrapped up in his winter gear, both my dogs just stopped and stared at him, one of them began growling and chuffing, he laughed it off and said "morning!" these incidences always seem to happen to me when I'm alone with my dogs, which isn't very often.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

I have a similar story. This morning went for a walk with my 2 dogs, off lead. I didn't see a woman approaching with 2 dogs and my youngest dog went around the corner and starting barking at her dog. No aggression but following him around. I came running down and this first thing she said to me, you're dog snapped at me. No way my dog snapped at her because the 2 dogs were 5 metres away from her.

Anyway I was putting my dog on a lead and her dog comes behind my dog and starts snapping at her and then a full scale fight started. I pulled my dog away and they stopped.

I apoglised and didn't say anything about my dog supposedly snapping because I didn't want any hassle. :mad::mad::mad:

My dog has never done anything like that until today. She's great with other dog. I might have to go a bit later from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I might have to go a bit later from now on.

I wouldn't go changing your routine to suit someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

smeal wrote: »
    Just general aggressiveness and noseyness I'm afraid. People honestly live sad lives to act like that.

Similar thing happened to myself last weekend actually. Myself and my Dad took our 8 month pug to the local park and had him on a flexi lead.. The park is extremely rural with lane ways and lakes etc it's not a very busy public park like Stephens Green for example. Anyways, we got to a really quiet lane that leads around one of the lakes and allowed the lead to go to its longest.. there was nobody about and even if there had have been we still would have probably done the same thing as he is an extremely friendly pup. Nowhere in the park does it say that dogs need to be on leads might I add but we kept him on the lead anyways because due to his friendly nature he tends to wander towards over to people when he spots them, 99% of the time to the delight of other people!

So in the quiet lane way dad climbed up on to an embankment on the right hand side of the lane that led up to a forest area and wanted to show me where an old swing rope used to be.. Myself and Gus (my dog) followed, still on the long lead, up the embankment. It was fairly slippy with leaves etc and Gus was happy enough sniffing through the terrain. Next thing, a man running suddenly appeared on the lane way- he was running pretty fast and I definitely wouldn't have called it jogging so I honestly didn't have time to pull the lead in or grab Gus because of the slippiness. Gus, excited at seeing someone running, suddenly bolted down the embankment and headed out on to the laneway- still on the long lead. The runner, who jolted to the left hand side of the laneway roared and kicked my dog in the process who then started to cry because of the kick. He started roaring at myself and my dad for not having the dog on a more controlled lead etc etc and shouted at us for not having him properly trained. I'm extremely grateful that my dad was there with me because this man got very very aggressive, swearing etc and saying stuff like "There's people here like me trying to f***ing go for a jog". Yes, I understand that the runner was maybe wary that the dog may have lashed out on him or whatever but that behaviour is still not on- kicking an animal, a puppy!! If we had have been on the laneway I could have jolted him in pretty quickly if he had done the same. He could have easily slowed down when he seen Gus running towards him but kept at his speed. And there was no need for the aggressiveness one bit- completely over the top and pretty much announcing that he had superiority over other park users just because he was a f***ing runner!!!

Anyways, my point is ignore these kind of ignorant people. Just looking for a good topic to rant on about when they get home. So long as your dog hasn't physically harmed anyone, enjoy your park and your walks as you have the same entitlement to this enjoyment as everyone else. Your dog just probably knows that your man is a complete d***head.

As a regular runner. I have had to change training venues at times due to dogs not under control.

If you're on a 5K or 10K or Marathon training spin for an upcoming race, you're trying to make a certain time, controlling your stride, breath,etc.

You cannot simply just " slow down " because someone's loose dog is coming at you.

Your'e quite entitled to protect yourself from an attacking dog.

That's how the jogger might see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

mattser wrote: »
    As a regular runner. I have had to change training venues at times due to dogs not under control.

If you're on a 5K or 10K or Marathon training spin for an upcoming race, you're trying to make a certain time, controlling your stride, breath,etc.

You cannot simply just " slow down " because someone's loose dog is coming at you.

Your'e quite entitled to protect yourself from an attacking dog.

That's how the jogger might see it.

Yes you are right- you are entitled to protect yourself from a loose attacking dog. Except my dog was on an extended leash and he could see that, he wasn't barking or growling just running in his direction, he could see that I was having difficulty getting down on to the lane way to stop the dog from continuing out but nevertheless continued running and then KICKED an animal and started to use aggressive language.

Marathon training or not, he would have stopped or at least slowed down if it had been a small child for example who had jumped out on to the lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a similar story. This morning went for a walk with my 2 dogs, off lead. I didn't see a woman approaching with 2 dogs and my youngest dog went around the corner and starting barking at her dog. No aggression but following him around. I came running down and this first thing she said to me, you're dog snapped at me. No way my dog snapped at her because the 2 dogs were 5 metres away from her.

Anyway I was putting my dog on a lead and her dog comes behind my dog and starts snapping at her and then a full scale fight started. I pulled my dog away and they stopped.

I apoglised and didn't say anything about my dog supposedly snapping because I didn't want any hassle. :mad::mad::mad:

My dog has never done anything like that until today. She's great with other dog. I might have to go a bit later from now on.

Ara, in fairness ye were both in the wrong there. It's not acceptable to have your dog, out of your sight, following another dog around and barking at it. You weren't there to see if your dog did snap at her or not.

That her dog then started snapping at yours is not on either but, having a dog-reactive dog myself I know that it can be a huge setback to have another dog tailing you, barking, until your own dog reaches its limit and retaliates. It's all very well you saying your dog isn't aggressive, but she doesn't know that and her dog doesn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Jeeez :( If anyone dared to kick my dog they'd live to regret it. What an ásshole :(

Yes you are right- you are entitled to protect yourself from a loose attacking dog. Except my dog was on an extended leash and he could see that, he wasn't barking or growling just running in his direction, he could see that I was having difficulty getting down on to the lane way to stop the dog from continuing out but nevertheless continued running and then KICKED an animal and started to use aggressive language.

Marathon training or not, he would have stopped or at least slowed down if it had been a small child for example who had jumped out on to the lane.

Wonder would he kick a small child if it ran in his direction too :rolleyes: Is slowing down a problem in general or just when there is a dog involved. I agree that a dog needs to be under control but he had no excuse for resorting to physical violence.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Wonder would he kick a small child if it ran in his direction too :rolleyes:

I was going to say the same thing or cut across the path on a bike/scooter/skates like what happens in our park! When Lucy was very young she went on strike and lay down on the path on the bull wall..a jogger who had lots of time and space to move gave out to me :rolleyes: That said I always tell the dogs to wait ie STOP when there's training going and people running past us - we go to a bigger park at weekends/days off that's got a stadium in it so lots of groups running around all the time. God forbid some kid trips over one of them and ruins their running career - I'd never forgive myself

• Advertisement

Wonder would he kick a small child if it ran in his direction too :rolleyes: Is slowing down a problem in general or just when there is a dog involved. I agree that a dog needs to be under control but he had no excuse for resorting to physical violence.

I agree in the OP's case it seemed out of order, I'm simply making a point about a minority of owners who act irresponsibly, and how it impacts on people running.
    The child analogy is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Happened to me a few years ago in an area frequented by joggers and dog walkers. A teenage girl was walking her dog and a jogger ran up behind her on a path, almost into the back of her and both she and the dog jumped, and the guy almost fell over her dog. He turned around and kicked the dog, yelling at the girl for not getting out of his way (he had not tried to move around her or her dog). As he ran off towards me, he kept going straight towards me, expecting me to move. I did, but one of my feet obviously did not move in time as he tripped over it and went sprawling. He said absolutely nothing to me, probably because I'm 6'2 and male. The dog was fine, the poor girl was in tears. Dog walkers can be prats, so can joggers. I always keep our dogs on a tight lead when joggers or cyclists are around, for everyone's safety.

I agree in the OP's case it seemed out of order, I'm simply making a point about a minority of owners who act irresponsibly, and how it impacts on people running.
    The child analogy is ridiculous.

I am agreeing with you re keeping the dog under control. Why is the child analogy ridiculous? His rationale for kicking something is because it got in his way. So, what if something else gets in his way?

I am agreeing with you re keeping the dog under control. Why is the child analogy ridiculous? His rationale for kicking something is because it got in his way. So, what if something else gets in his way?

I have had to dodge children suddenly appearing in my path from time to time...absolutely no problem. I usually apologise for frightening them. And it's only a matter of a couple of seconds

It's a different story when it's a dog that wants to bite. You have to defend yourself within reason, usually you stop and waste a lot of time. 8K into a 10K run, that's end of story.

No comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

When you say barking at it can be a small dog yelping or a big dog snarling and there is a world of difference.

There are two dogs down the road from me that use the front garden and go crazy barking at passers by. They dont seem dangerous but the owner gets frequently told to keep them inside by people as it gets pretty old.

What's with all the dog kicking? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TerryTree

He should not threaten you or nobody should kick an animal. It's just easier to keep the dog on lead, don't change your route... Many people have just a massive fear of dogs and when they bark people assume they are viscous...

I have had to dodge children suddenly appearing in my path from time to time...absolutely no problem. I usually apologise for frightening them. And it's only a matter of a couple of seconds

It's a different story when it's a dog that wants to bite. You have to defend yourself within reason, usually you stop and waste a lot of time. 8K into a 10K run, that's end of story.

No comparison.

The OP's dog did not want to bite.

There is a comparison between the two in that both joggers are interrupted by something crossing their path. Whether you think the evasive/defensive action would be different in either scenario does not change the fundamental similarities between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The guy doesn't know whether or not your Dog was aggressive.

The parks I walk my Dog in have that before 11am and last hour before closing rule (I didn't even know until you said it - I thought I was always breaking the rules having her off the leash).
    but I usually will walk my dog in less populated areas anyway.

I wouldn't want to be barked at by a loose Dog when I run through the park either and if my Dog did that to someone I would of course leash him and apologise.

Its a tough situation but I'd personally keep my Dog off the main path (if unleashed) if he was going to get starteld by runners or cyclists or other people who might be using it as pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

People in this country need to be educated on how to behave around dogs. This sort of behaviour towards people walking their dogs seems to be happening a lot.

I have had this reaction from people before and parents who over react, my dog is a Pomeranian who I always keep on a normal leather lead not even an extendable one and even at that people are still controversial.

I live in Co Limerick and I take my one to Lough Gur sometimes and I used to walk her on the foot paths in our town but I have had to stop that because of arrogant joggers, a high percentage of people jogging seem to think they own the parks and foot paths their stand back get out of my way attitude is terrible. I now walk her in the ballyhouras to avoid arrogant joggers.

In this situation I would not change my routine because of this person but I would not approach him either, if he abuses you like this again I would be reporting it to the gardai.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement