Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatened this morning! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

noodler wrote: »
    The guy doesn't know whether or not your Dog was aggressive.

The parks I walk my Dog in have that before 11am and last hour before closing rule (I didn't even know until you said it - I thought I was always breaking the rules having her off the leash).
    but I usually will walk my dog in less populated areas anyway.

I wouldn't want to be barked at by a loose Dog when I run through the park either and if my Dog did that to someone I would of course leash him and apologise.

Its a tough situation but I'd personally keep my Dog off the main path (if unleashed) if he was going to get starteld by runners or cyclists or other people who might be using it as pace.

Likewise. Ours is a terrier so fast-moving legs are irresistible! On-lead only unless we are alone. Better for everyone, herself included. It's jsut too much to think about with kids, joggers, cyclists, cars etc. Much prefer to walk her somewhere remote so she can have a bit of freedom and the non dog owners can have a bit of peace! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Some people are just clueless when it comes to how a dog reacts that said there are as many clueless dog owners and these people mean that others have to bare the brunt of their bad behaviour.

Unfortunately it sounds like for a trouble and stress free walk you may (unfairly) have to change your walk tines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Potatoeman wrote: »
    When you say barking at it can be a small dog yelping or a big dog snarling and there is a world of difference.

There are two dogs down the road from me that use the front garden and go crazy barking at passers by. They dont seem dangerous but the owner gets frequently told to keep them inside by people as it gets pretty old.

I used to not let him bark outside in the garden - until the neighbors place had 3 guys breaking into one of their outbuildings on the other side of our fence and I brought him in - ooops!

I agree 100% that it can be frightening but Bailey barks at anything he's suspicious and I have a handle on it - he stops when I tell him to and calms down. This morning the guy prevented me from getting to Bailey because he was I guess trying to intimidate him (and then me) but it made matters worse. I get that it could be frightening BUT I also get the impression that this guy has dogs barking at him all the time by what he was screaming at me. Running/stamping/shouting at a dog who's afraid of you is stupid and dangerous regardless if they're on or off lead. He didn't give me a chance to explain or apologize - I was worried he was going to kick out at him and god forbid hit his jaw. (he had 1/4 of it removed 4 months ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

tk123 wrote: »
    I used to not let him bark outside in the garden - until the neighbors place had 3 guys breaking into one of their outbuildings on the other side of our fence and I brought him in - ooops!

I agree 100% that it can be frightening but Bailey barks at anything he's suspicious and I have a handle on it - he stops when I tell him to and calms down. This morning the guy prevented me from getting to Bailey because he was I guess trying to intimidate him (and then me) but it made matters worse. I get that it could be frightening BUT I also get the impression that this guy has dogs barking at him all the time by what he was screaming at me. Running/stamping/shouting at a dog who's afraid of you is stupid and dangerous regardless if they're on or off lead. He didn't give me a chance to explain or apologize - I was worried he was going to kick out at him and god forbid hit his jaw. (he had 1/4 of it removed 4 months ago)

I dont know what size your dog is but if its barking at him all the time it sounds like he flipped. If youre worried I would avoid him.

Sometimes joggers and cyclists can be aggressive as they react when their heart is pumping and they are in full flow. Its not an excuse but I do think people react differently then they normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Bottom line my stance is this:

1) If I'm in a busy public park/ any public park where there are clear signs that say "All dogs must be put on a leash" or there are tonnes of joggers or people around I will put my dog on a stern leash and keep him near my heel to avoid him getting in the way of anyone.

2) If I'm in a public park (and especially in a large country park) with my dog, where there is no such sign, its a quiet day and there aren't many people around where I could walk for half an hour at a time until I'd meet somebody, well then I'm going to walk my dog whatever way I please pending my dog isn't violent in nature. In these kind of conditions there is no way that I am going to give right of way to joggers/runners over other park users. Especially not to other violent users. I'm not for one minute dissing joggers, I jog myself, but in circumstances like this there is no excuse to assume superiority over the parks.

This man's actions toward the OP were completely unacceptable. Even if he has had a bad experience with a dog before, he can't act like that towards this person and their dog. It seems like he was almost provoking the dog to turn on him so he can strengthen his argument.

• Advertisement

I dont know what size your dog is but if its barking at him all the time it sounds like he flipped. If youre worried I would avoid him.

He's a golden retriever and has barked at him twice in the last year.. and possibly yesterday when he was on the other side of the river. I assumed he was barking at the heron/ducks but possibly it was somebody on the other side of the river walking along? We walk before the park opens when it's quite dark so can't really see over to that side..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Bailey put himself between the guy and me and started barking.
    .:(
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The OP's dog did not want to bite.

How do you know this? How is anybody, including the OPs' aggressor supposed to know this.
    noodler wrote: »
    The guy doesn't know whether or not your Dog was aggressive.

In his mind the dog was aggressive, what was he supposed to think?

Karen91 wrote: »
    People in this country need to be educated on how to behave around dogs.

A lot of dog owners could do with education as well...
    piperh wrote: »
    Some people are just clueless when it comes to how a dog reacts that said there are as many clueless dog owners and these people mean that others have to bare the brunt of their bad behaviour.

This ^^^^^^^

I just want to state that I've had half a dozen dogs in my time, big ones, small ones, quiet ones and boisterous ones. One thing that they all had in common is that they were my dogs and lived by my rules. If I have visitors to the house the dog goes out the back. If I'm out for a walk with him in any public area he's on a lead - a short regular lead.
    Those long leads, apart from being useless, are the bane of walkers/joggers/cyclists everywhere. What purpose do they serve? If the dog wants to sniff around then why can't he do so alongside you? Why does he have to be 15/20 feet away ?
    Last point is that I (generally!!) know that my dogs are not going to bite ME.. I can't, and neither can anyone else, guarantee 100% that they're not going to bite/attack/intimidate anyone else or any other dog for that matter.
    "He won't touch you" is absolutely no consolation to someone with an innate fear of dogs.
    Dogs/dog walkers can bring out the worst in some people so it's up to yourself not to do anything that re-inforces/provokes that mind-set.
    It's one of the joyful paradoxes of taking a dog for a walk. Some strangers will want to stop and chat 'doggy chat', others will want to avoid you or possibly confront you. Go for a walk without the dog and chances are you'll experience neither!!

Having said all that, it does appear that the aggressor in the OPs' post is definitely in the ars*h*le category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Bring a large male family member or friend with you on your next walk and I bet the guy won't say boo to you if you meet him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've had this down the Marina in Cork too. The dog's walked off lead, but I train him to sit and wait when there are cyclists and joggers (of which there are plenty).

One day, we were walking along. Loads of off-lead dogs, but this old git decided he was going to have a go at me, as I appeared to be alone. I'm 5ft 2 - But he got what he was looking for...

I've seen him since. The fella even salutes me now, but I just nod and go on my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

He's a golden retriever and has barked at him twice in the last year.. and possibly yesterday when he was on the other side of the river. I assumed he was barking at the heron/ducks but possibly it was somebody on the other side of the river walking along? We walk before the park opens when it's quite dark so can't really see over to that side..

Then he over reacted. Twice in one year is not a big deal. He should worry more about his own behaviour and learn how to have an adult conservation.

• Advertisement

Well I'll be walking as normal tomorrow but keeping them both near me with recall games. I'll be doing 6 half laps instead of 3 long ones to avoid that path - and there's a chance I might bump into him at the bridge but I'll keep my eyes peeled. I shouldn't meet him until the 5th or 6th lap but if he says a word to me i'm going to tell him to FO and that I'm calling the guards. I know his first name (he's friends with somebody in the park an apparently loves dogs :confused:) and I have a fair idea where he lives from seeing him walking down if I was going into work early etc on the off chance something does happen and I need to call them. I never wanted to see my brothers as much as I did this morning after it happened! Or one of guys who are in some mornings with their dogs to walk around with us.

I ever even thought of poor Lucy when it happened. She's been going through a bit of a spooky phase the last while so I really hope this doesn't hasn't affected her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Then he over reacted. Twice in one year is not a big deal. He should worry more about his own behaviour and learn how to have an adult conservation.

Indeed. Never mind the dog, it sounds to me like the hysterical jogger was more likely to bite! :D ... and in the end it was he who resorted to physical violence :(

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Indeed. Never mind the dog, it sounds to me like the hysterical jogger was more likely to bite! :D ... and in the end it was he who resorted to physical violence :(

He isn't a jogger - just somebody who cuts through the park. I decided I was sticking to my normal route but put Bailey on lead when we got near that path. He was very skittish for the first 10-15 mins. It's not acceptable for him to run over and bark at anyone and there's no excuse.. but at the same time I've spent the last year looking out for that guy, keeping Bailey him on lead in certain places and not being able to relax for fear of bumping into him even though Bailey has strolled past him every time our paths have managed to cross without a second glance. If he's afraid of dogs then there's other paths he can take to avoid them like I've doing to avoid him for the last year.

I'm not going to let some stranger bully me!

Well we saw the guy again this morning and Bailey didn't even notice him. However...he's gone very very nervous of everyone we meet except friends - both people and dogs so I can't let him off lead at all now. Hopefully once the mornings get a bit bright he might relax a bit - I'm sure he's picking it up from me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Honestly, I think Irish people have terrible attitudes to controlling dogs.

I have been attacked by dogs on numerous occasions while out running here and I mean actually chased and attacked. They see someone running and think it's something to be chased.

I've also had my dog attacked while out walking her on a leash.

I'm sorry to say it, but people in Ireland are completely ignorant, clueless and self-rightious about letting their dogs off the leash in public places.

It's totally unacceptable, it's dangerous and it's a major hazard and annoyance to other people using those public spaces.

In most other countries, you face serious penalties for doing that i.e. major fines, court appearances etc.

However, when you say it to anyone here in Ireland, you'll quite likely be told to f**k off in no uncertain terms.

It's one of those things that drives me nuts about living in Ireland. You see nothing wrong with litter, dogs running wild, dog defecating on play areas in parks and so on.

We have a local dog walker who casually wanders up to my grass margin and lets his dog do its business there. I have actually shouted out the window at him and he still does it!
    I am tempted to put the dog turd into a bag and just empty it out on his lawn at this stage, as that's what he's doing to mine!

It's time Irish dog owners grew up a bit!

I do think this guy completely over reacted, but I think dog owners here need to start acting a bit more responsibly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

SpaceTime wrote: »

I have been attacked by dogs on numerous occasions while out running here and I mean actually chased and attacked. They see someone running and think it's something to be chased.

I'm sorry to say it, but people in Ireland are completely ignorant, clueless and self-rightious about letting their dogs off the leash in public places.

It's totally unacceptable, it's dangerous and it's a major hazard and annoyance to other people using those public spaces.

In most other countries, you face serious penalties for doing that i.e. major fines, court appearances etc.

However, when you say it to anyone here in Ireland, you'll quite likely be told to f**k off in no uncertain terms.

It's one of those things that drives me nuts about living in Ireland. You see nothing wrong with litter, dogs running wild, dog defecating on play areas in parks and so on.

We have a local dog walker who casually wanders up to my grass margin and lets his dog do its business there. I have actually shouted out the window at him and he still does it!
    I am tempted to put the dog turd into a bag and just empty it out on his lawn at this stage, as that's what he's doing to mine!

I do think this guy completely over reacted, but I think dog owners here need to start acting a bit more responsibly too.

You're tarring a lot of dog owners with the same brush there. Yes there are some irresponsible owners but there are just as many responsible owners who are more than capable of controlling their dog off lead. Not every dog chases joggers, not every dog owner lets their dog defecate without picking it up and not every owner lets their dog run wild off the lead.

You're tarring a lot of dog owners with the same brush there. Yes there are some irresponsible owners but there are just as many responsible owners who are more than capable of controlling their dog off lead. Not every dog chases joggers, not every dog owner lets their dog defecate without picking it up and not every owner lets their dog run wild off the lead.

Sadly, I'd say it's only 50:50 at best where as in a lot of other countries it'd be more like 95:5

Yes, it's tarring with the same brush, but until someone actually enforces the law here and most people start to take responsible dog ownership seriously, that's exactly how it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

I have seen more responsible owners than irresponsible ones yes there are some but that does not mean they are all the same. I used to walk my dog at Lake near by and on the paths in our town but I had to stop because of joggers and parents who will not control their kids, I have only ever had one bad experience with a dog off lead but generally its people that cause the drama and when I say people I mean people who don't own dogs.

Sadly, I'd say it's only 50:50 at best where as in a lot of other countries it'd be more like 95:5

Yes, it's tarring with the same brush, but until someone actually enforces the law here and most people start to take responsible dog ownership seriously, that's exactly how it looks!

I actually think it's hard to quantify. In your opinion it looks 50/50, but I can say that there's only a couple of regular dogs that are allowed to run amok and annoy other dog owners where I walk. Yet I see lots of walkers with dogs, so for me it's perhaps 95/5. Of course, it's very easy to remember the negative instances and let that cloud your view and want the laws changed in your favour. It's a bit like customer service, there's always that place that you won't return to and give out about because you got bad service but people are less quick to recommend places if the service was grand. Perhaps it's an Irish thing but people moan about the negative but rarely praise the positive.

I actually think it's hard to quantify. In your opinion it looks 50/50, but I can say that there's only a couple of regular dogs that are allowed to run amok and annoy other dog owners where I walk. Yet I see lots of walkers with dogs, so for me it's perhaps 95/5. Of course, it's very easy to remember the negative instances and let that cloud your view and want the laws changed in your favour. It's a bit like customer service, there's always that place that you won't return to and give out about because you got bad service but people are less quick to recommend places if the service was grand. Perhaps it's an Irish thing but people moan about the negative but rarely praise the positive.

No, quite genuinely I am absolutely horrified.

One friend of mine actually regularly has to take an alternative route to work because she's terrified of dogs and people keep letting them wander around the streets, in Cork City anyway... perhaps there's just no enforcement here, I don't know but it's absolutely beyond ridiculous.

• Advertisement

One friend of mine actually regularly has to take an alternative route to work because she's terrified of dogs and people keep letting them wander around the streets, in Cork City anyway... perhaps there's just no enforcement here, I don't know but it's absolutely beyond ridiculous.

That's the other end of the country to me, I wouldn't be at all familiar with Cork City so cannot comment on whether there's a problem, maybe some other posters might be able to back up your assertion.

Not that there's a huge amount where I live, but any stray dogs or dogs out roaming the streets are usually reported to the local dog rescue, and on occasion "serial offenders" are then taken and signed over to the rescue for rehoming. There was one terrier cross in particular that was always let out in an estate and he regularly made his way down into town. After a good few pick ups his owners were threatened with prosecution and they signed the dog over. Perhaps we have a good network of responsible owners and a very active facebook page for the local rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What other countries?

I lived in the UK, and there is dog mess everywhere, even though they have poo bins, which we don't have a lot of here. There was also a jogger in the local park in London that I walked in, that used to carry an iron bar with him to use against the dogs that chased him every day - not my dogs. In another London park, my dog who was under control was attacked by an akita and pinned against park railings, I and a couple of other people had to use bags, sticks and whatever else we could grab to get him off her, as her owner stood by not knowing what to do, he was an elderly man and completely unable to control him. My dog when I was a teenager was attacked on a path in a rural village by an off lead dog, I could go on ;)

Well there's a whole other thread for you to complain about off lead dogs.

I don't let my dogs run wild and I clean up after them. My dog has barked at somebody who I now consider extremely dangerous/unstable twice in a year to tell them not to come near ME not because he runs around chasing people for his own amusement every day- and after what happened I can only assume the dog sensed something in this person that frightened him. I don't encourage him to think he has to protect me but it's my job to protect him so yes I will shout back at somebody who threatening me and my dog and who's also preventing me from controlling my dog and keeping him safe. I've spent the last year avoiding certain areas and having my dog sit/stand beside me/put back on lead any time I saw that person even though he had zero interest in him because as a puppy he was trained not to approach people.

I get that some people are afraid of dogs but they need to take some responsibility for that fear themselves and do something about it instead of expecting everyone else to accommodate them. I've had people freak out when my dogs were on lead frightening them - I don't run screaming at them about it threatening them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

muddypaws wrote: »
    What other countries?

I lived in the UK, and there is dog mess everywhere, even though they have poo bins, which we don't have a lot of here. There was also a jogger in the local park in London that I walked in, that used to carry an iron bar with him to use against the dogs that chased him every day - not my dogs. In another London park, my dog who was under control was attacked by an akita and pinned against park railings, I and a couple of other people had to use bags, sticks and whatever else we could grab to get him off her, as her owner stood by not knowing what to do, he was an elderly man and completely unable to control him. My dog when I was a teenager was attacked on a path in a rural village by an off lead dog, I could go on ;)
    Parts of the UK are getting worse, IMO. Especially upscale developments with part-townies who just get a pup or two and anthropomorphise them to death.

Our Patterdale rescue has earned himself a bit of a 'bad rep' around the development we live on, as an aggressive dog (which he is, no point putting blinkers on...but read on), and I'm (sadly) increasingly regularly in verbal fist-fights with people who do not have the first clue about dog handling and management.

He's never off lead (because we know he can be aggressive) and we always ask owners of unleashed dogs (which are approaching him) to recall their dogs before they get too close. The lead is always retracted or wound up to shortest extent (tight, short of actually lifting dog up) as we cross other people/dogs/joggers/kids/etc. He has never attacked/we have never let him attack any other dog.

And for all that, he has been attacked 5 times in the past 4 years, each time without fail by unleashed dogs (last time by 2 staffies no less) not fully under their owner's control. I'm talking proper fights, with blood spilled (theirs and/or ours), bit of ear gone, etc. and that's what I'm putting the worst of his aggressive character down to (he's proven himself absolutely fine with certain dogs, never fine with others, on/off with still others...but, and unsurprisingly, he always seems to be getting better and better the longer has elapsed since a last fight). These attacks just turn him into a "shoot first, ask later" dog, which then takes ages to 'rub out'.

So the last guy who approached me out of the blue and asked told me to get our dog muzzled, was politely told 'no' and explained that we would not impede our dog's ability to defend himself when attacked, particularly as he was always under full control...then not so politely told to either f*** o** or bring it, after rudely interrupting me and trying to 'outvoice' me. He was, and still is, a minority thankfully - but it seems clear to me that the problem is just amplifying atm, as there seems to be (based on the past 4 years of daily observations here and there and everywhere) ever less people with their dogs leashed up when out and about in semi-rural environments, and expecting all dogs regardless of breed and age and to be these "pink fluffy friendly carebears" with each other all the time.

ambro25 wrote: »
    Parts of the UK are getting worse, IMO. Especially upscale developments with part-townies who just get a pup or two and anthropomorphise them to death.

Our Patterdale rescue has earned himself a bit of a 'bad rep' around the development we live on, as an aggressive dog (which he is, no point putting blinkers on...but read on), and I'm (sadly) increasingly regularly in verbal fist-fights with people who do not have the first clue about dog handling and management.

He's never off lead (because we know he can be aggressive) and we always ask owners of unleashed dogs (which are approaching him) to recall their dogs before they get too close. The lead is always retracted or wound up to shortest extent (tight, short of actually lifting dog up) as we cross other people/dogs/joggers/kids/etc. He has never attacked/we have never let him attack any other dog.

And for all that, he has been attacked 5 times in the past 4 years, each time without fail by unleashed dogs (last time by 2 staffies no less) not fully under their owner's control. I'm talking proper fights, with blood spilled (theirs and/or ours), bit of ear gone, etc. and that's what I'm putting the worst of his aggressive character down to (he's proven himself absolutely fine with certain dogs, never fine with others, on/off with still others...but, and unsurprisingly, he always seems to be getting better and better the longer has elapsed since a last fight). These attacks just turn him into a "shoot first, ask later" dog, which then takes ages to 'rub out'.

So the last guy who approached me out of the blue and asked told me to get our dog muzzled, was politely told 'no' and explained that we would not impede our dog's ability to defend himself when attacked, particularly as he was always under full control...then not so politely told to either f*** o** or bring it, after rudely interrupting me and trying to 'outvoice' me. He was, and still is, a minority thankfully - but it seems clear to me that the problem is just amplifying atm, as there seems to be (based on the past 4 years of daily observations here and there and everywhere) ever less people with their dogs leashed up when out and about in semi-rural environments, and expecting all dogs regardless of breed and age and to be these "pink fluffy friendly carebears" with each other all the time.

It sounds like your dog might suffer from leash reactivity, where he knows he's tethered so is always willing to put up a fight. His aggression has probably kept a number of dogs away so for him it works. You say he gets on with some dogs, would this be in a more relaxed situation where he might be off lead, ie with other family members dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Well we saw the guy again this morning and Bailey didn't even notice him. However...he's gone very very nervous of everyone we meet except friends - both people and dogs so I can't let him off lead at all now. Hopefully once the mornings get a bit bright he might relax a bit - I'm sure he's picking it up from me too.

I'd well believe it, I'd say you're also a bit tense now when it comes to strangers. I'd suggest to you to change up your walk, go the reverse way, or go through a different entrance gate than you usually do. Some dogs can be quite sensitive if their routine is always that, a routine. If something happens during it it can linger in their mind.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    I'd well believe it, I'd say you're also a bit tense now when it comes to strangers. I'd suggest to you to change up your walk, go the reverse way, or go through a different entrance gate than you usually do. Some dogs can be quite sensitive if their routine is always that, a routine. If something happens during it it can linger in their mind.

I can't change my route - it's too dark and spooky! :P Might avoid the park for a few days though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I can believe that. The dog warden regularly calls round to my estate because of roaming dogs. I've been followed home when walking my dog more than once by strays. More than once, either my husband or I have to stop the car to get the strays off the road. Fortunately, I'm used to dogs and always carry a stick when walking mine, so not too bothered. But I cannot understand this attitude of just letting the dogs out to roam!

The mess here is another story! :mad: You have to walk and look down because people are too bone idle, ignorant and selfish to pick up after their dogs. I feel sorry for the Mums with the buggies - You always have to wash and disinfect the wheels after taking the baby out.

Being from London, I'm really not accustomed to this. If you fail to pick up after your dog, you'd soon be either told or have the offending matter thrown at you. As for letting the dogs roam? They'll soon call the RSPCA on you, or else the dog will be stolen by junkies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

One thing jumps out at me about the incident with the OP's dog. It was stated that the dog had no interest in the guy the first time around. But it cannot be denied, the dog does show interest in the guy the second time around. That makes me think that maybe the OP might be kidding themselves a little bit about what happened by assuming their dog behaved. Look, dogs chase people some times, even the ones that people think they have the greatest of control over. Dogs have personalities and because of that, sometimes they will let you down as regards behaviour. Even professional trainers encounter this. Similarly, I don't know of any runners who want to take a break from their jog to find a dog to chase, do you? Fair enough, the guy acted poorly, some people do. But the important thing here is that you know that your dog probably did take issue with him in some shape or form, so next time you can be ready. There is a danger of constantly excusing your dog and blinding yourself to what is actually happening.

Also, I disagree with this thing where people are saying he would have slowed down for a young child. Well first off, he wouldn't have had to, he could have simply gone around the child whereas that wouldn't be as easy with a dog. But more importantly, it wasn't a child, it was a dog. The two don't equate in any way. People treating dogs like children is half the problem.

• Advertisement

One thing jumps out at me about the incident with the OP's dog. It was stated that the dog had no interest in the guy the first time around. But it cannot be denied, the dog does show interest in the guy the second time around. That makes me think that maybe the OP might be kidding themselves a little bit about what happened by assuming their dog behaved. Look, dogs chase people some times, even the ones that people think they have the greatest of control over. Dogs have personalities and because of that, sometimes they will let you down as regards behaviour. Even professional trainers encounter this. Similarly, I don't know of any runners who want to take a break from their jog to find a dog to chase, do you? Fair enough, the guy acted poorly, some people do. But the important thing here is that you know that your dog probably did take issue with him in some shape or form, so next time you can be ready. There is a danger of constantly excusing your dog and blinding yourself to what is actually happening.

Anything is possible but..

I know Bailey. I've met Bailey. He's possibly the most well trained dog in Ireland because he's got a dedicated owner, and he's had numerous health issues which have meant really focussed training to ensure he doesn't over exert himself, or hurt himself in the process of recuperation. He's very responsive and he's also very tuned into his owner and his family, nobody else really matters or are on his radar. Something this man did threatened him in some way, and in fairness, shouting and gesturing are a sure fire way to get a dog frightened and acting out.

Also, I disagree with this thing where people are saying he would have slowed down for a young child. Well first off, he wouldn't have had to, he could have simply gone around the child whereas that wouldn't be as easy with a dog. But more importantly, it wasn't a child, it was a dog. The two don't equate in any way. People treating dogs like children is half the problem.
    I'd love to know what people mean when they say that some people treat dogs like children. If it means treating them as part of the family and including them and interacting with them rather than just banishing them to a back garden (which can lead to a whole load of behavioural problems, but that's another thread) then the more people that treat them like children the better.

And people who think because it's a dog then it's ok to kick them? They'd be arrested if it was a child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement