Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatened this morning! :(

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

mattser wrote: »
    Most people would

I didn't realise we were talking in metaphors. What does it mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Just my own experience of something similar.

I was out jogging, this was several years ago when I was younger and fitter, one evening and had just passed a large Labrador and owner on a perpendicular path to my left. I ran on and before I knew what had hit me the dog was caught up in my legs and I went flying face first onto the gravel covered path. The dog had pulled the leash out of the owners hand and in his excitement dashed over to me.

I skidded face first along the ground and was left half conscious, with two chipped teeth, a serious black eye, a bloody nose and scrapes all down one side of my face. The owner was a decent gent who in fairness paid my medical bills but I still had to look at my wrecked face in the mirror for a long time afterwards.

Anyway my point, ever since if I am out running and a loose dog or a dog on a leash that is not significantly controlled rushes me then I don't hesitate to hang a leg out, not aiming for the dog per se but just to ward them off. If it makes contact or if I need it to make contact for an aggressive dog then so be it. I am not going through that experience gain. As a human I have more rights than the dog and I have the right to be out in a park without being hassled by someones pet. I would never aim to hurt a dog but I feel I have the right to protect myself or my personal space. I don't see why I should have to be "educated" on dog behaviour or on the behavioural complexities of anyones particular dog.

BTW if I can go around them or avoid I do. Sometimes you cant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There are so many threads here on the topic of off-lead dogs and joggers that we didn't really need another one!
    As this is not the road the OP had intended this thread to go down, they have requested that the thread is closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement