Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 Superthread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In case anyone cares I found the part I needed!

Spent the weekend trying to find something to stop the leak while I wait for it to arrive. Sugru, useful for so many other things just peeled right off after 12 hrs of drying. I bought some supposedly moldable sheets of stuff that is supposed to stick on and cure... my kitchen table is sticker... less than useless.

Finally used a combination of a bike puncture repair kit, superglue, double sided carpet tape and a liberal sprinkling of cable ties.

Drove into work this morning with a backseat full of coolant and duct tape but there wasn't a drop leaking from my new seal when I got in. In your face, McGyver. :)

49UOyth.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Dades wrote: »
    Sugru, useful for so many other things just peeled right off after 12 hrs of drying.

You know, Sugru hasn't worked well for me recently, nowhere close to how it has worked in the past.

...in fact not since they screwed the customer investors and sold out to a big German adhesive company, but I'm sure that's just an unfortunate coincidence. :pac:

I knew they'd sold the company alright.

Very interesting you should mention your experience. The last couple of times I've used it, I was let down. Both the adhesive quality and the strength of the cured stuff in general were lacking. The patch I made at the weekend just peeled off.

A real shame if the product has been compromised.

Shame alright. My Sugru coolant leak fix is still holding up years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Hi all. Considering entering the classic car game for the first time and the 924 looks like a good start, I would be interested on your opinions on this particular one? Good value or a bit pricey?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1982-porsche-924-quick-sale/22083781

• Advertisement

A 924 should be a good start to classic ownership!

It might be a good car, but I'm a bit dubious. I think the main thing putting me off is no mention of an NCT. All that stuff done to it - should breeze through a test, no?! And if it has a cert, whether there's a history of them and any fails/advisories.

I wouldn't buy any car that requires an NCT but doesn't have one.

Would be worth asking about the electrics, too. Windows, wiper spray, mirrors.

Also, does it start from warm. Loads of 924s suffer from an issue where the car will start perfectly from cold, but leave it an hour or so and it will be very hard to start.

I'm not gone on the red/grey/grey rim combo, but maybe this car is completely sorted and tested and so worth a look!

Thanks Dades. Appreciate the feedback. NCT expired Feb this year and there is no documentation with it. I might have to take a look in person to get a better idea of condition.

It's definitely worth a look in the flesh.

Don't be led by the shiny paint. Galvanised or not, they will rust in places. I've had sills and jacking mounts replaced in recent years. A new paint job won't help if when you jack the car up the floor bends under the weight.

Maybe consider asking for a fresh NCT as a condition of sale. If it came with an NCT until Feb 2021, then it might well be worth the asking. If the owner isn't willing to test it, you need to ask yourself why.

Don't just arrive with the cash!

I've been waiting for a good enough reason to post in this thread. My father just bought this 1982 924. Should hopefully get along to Terenure in it this Sunday :)
    Scroll up a little. :)

Well, it seems like we'll all get a look at that DoneDeal 924 in Terenure!

Duke, the few posts above yours were about that car. I hope it is as good in reality as it seems on paper. :)

Gonna try and get along myself.

@ Harcrid - there'll be another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Hah, sorry about that. Just read those posts and deleted my original.

But yeah, viewed, poked and prodded, shook hands and exchanged money. Picking it up tomorrow

Seller has an array of 924s and 944s. I don’t know much about them specifically but it seems a very well sorted example

You beat me to it. Was going to arrange a look but he was so far away from me I could get up quickly. Interested to hear how it goes for you! Well done on the purchase.

My search continues!

Hah, sorry about that. Just read those posts and deleted my original.

But yeah, viewed, poked and prodded, shook hands and exchanged money. Picking it up tomorrow

Seller has an array of 924s and 944s. I don’t know much about them specifically but it seems a very well sorted example

Ah, there was no need to delete - first with the cash gets it. That's fair.

I will say anyway, he only intends on holding onto it for what’s left of the summer to run around in. He has a TT currently but really fancied the 924.

We set out this morning looking for a 05+ A4 convertible!

The 924 never actually had an NCT but it first thing on the agenda. That and a set of tyres all round. Great thread on the currents but they’re perished.

It’s only had the one owner since import in 2000. Lie I said, the current seller has a number of 924s and 44s and he subjected this particular car to a thorough resto inside and out. The only thing that lets it is the dash

There was an oil leak coming from the rear somewhere too you might want to check out. He wasn't able to tell me where it was coming from so it may be small. Look under car on drivers side and you will see traces of it.

When I checked the reg it said last NCT was Feb this year?

We only viewed the car on grass, but noticed no leaks and the seller did specifically say there there were none (inside or out). Maybe he sorted it? In any case its not something overly concerning at the minute.

When you check on the NCT website, its the bottom date that denotes the expiry of the last test. The top date is just when the last test was due during this current year (so last year it would have been February 26 2018 etc

jYP691I.png

Got it home anyway at long last.

48199667741_69bf6b8bc1_c.jpg

Its a lovely car and it drives very well. It needs a little bit of tidying but mechanically it is spot on and its rock solid rust-wise. The dash could do with recovering, it needs a set of tyres and the wheels could do with a lick of paint. No doubt a few other niggly little bits will crop up, but in the meantime its there to be enjoyed!

I was thinking of doing the wheels gold, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

With few grades of sand paper on a DA sander and a polish those wheels will be gleaming.

Silver alloy rattlecan from Halfords to start!! Think about the long game after that.

I'm a fan of the stock wheels myself, but the turbo ones are nice too if well presented. I like how the S models rock Teledials, too, but there's a lot of messing with hubs and spacers to get them onto an NA.

Looking good though. I like 924s without the side trim. It was probably done for convenience with the new paint job, but all the better.

• Advertisement

@Dades / LIGHTNING / other 924 owners

Will any of you be at Terenure? Could do with picking yer brains on a few things if so...

Will buy burgers in lieu of payment!

I'm almost certainly going to be there. Probably around noon or so.

Happy to chat as would love to see the 924 if it's there!

Joined the 924 club today. Picked this up. It’s far from pristine but I wanted a bit of a project and the core mechanicals seem sound. Delighted with it.

Oops can’t embed pics from phone. Will upload shortly.

Dades wrote: »
    I'm almost certainly going to be there. Probably around noon or so.

Happy to chat as would love to see the 924 if it's there!

Good stuff! I'll be along in the 924 on the backroads.ie stand here;

hEgTWdW.jpg

Harcrid wrote: »
    Joined the 924 club today. Picked this up. It’s far from pristine but I wanted a bit of a project and the core mechanicals seem sound. Delighted with it.

Oops can’t embed pics from phone. Will upload shortly.

Nice one, is it any of the ones on donedeal at the minute?

Nice one, is it any of the ones on donedeal at the minute?

Yep. White one in Kildare.

Lovely, whats it like!?

I rang about it and was keen on viewing it on Thursday evening but the owner wasn't around. From the photos it looked like a bit of a steal.

484611.JPG

484612.JPG

Lovely, whats it like!?

I rang about it and was keen on viewing it on Thursday evening but the owner wasn't around. From the photos it looked like a bit of a steal.

It needs a few bits doing, but dont they all! Paint is rough enough and could do with a bonnet and front bumper respray at least, but im not too worried about that. Immediate items to fix would be new tyres (they are perished), a brake caliper is sticking and a knock from exhaust on the rear. Oh and drivers window doesnt work.

But other than that it seems strong and took the 90 minutes drive home without issue.

• Advertisement

Good stuff! I'll be along in the 924 on the backroads.ie stand here;
    Great! I'll say hi when I locate the 924 :)

Just gave mine a wash even though it's only going as far as the car park tomorrow.
    Harcrid wrote: »
    Yep. White one in Kildare.
    Well done! You are a fast mover!

Really like that pinstripe interior. Reckon there's much to do get her tested and on the road?

EDIT: Just noticed something... do all white 924s have black sills? Seems like they might

Advertisement