Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I had no real intention of buying as price was low and I expected it to be a shed but it was better than I expected. Got a great deal on it too as owner wanted space.

Interior will clean up well once farmyard dirt is gone from it. Very little rips and back seats are immaculate.

Speedos not working so will need to sort that along with brakes and tyres. Other than that it shouldn’t need a huge amount.

Oh and it came with an A4 binder with loads of previous history and pics from original owner. Sitting through it with a cuppa now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Looks decent! Keep the thread posted on your process.

+ pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Speaking of pics...we went with silver for the wheels yesterday

48215199867_d03c25b1d9_c.jpg

Makes such a difference I reckon

48199712722_99e2d98c06_c.jpg

Some interior pics after a clean.

484651.JPG

484652.JPG

I like those electric seats!

That looks in remarkable condition overall

• Advertisement

I like those electric seats!

That looks in remarkable condition overall

They don’t work unfortunately. 😀

@ Duke!

Great chatting to you earlier. The 924 looks really good.

This is the guide I used (loosely) to fit the hot start switch we talked about:
    http://www.924.org/techsection/hot_start_problem_fix.htm

I thought I'd posted some pics here the time I did it, but I can't find anything. If I come across them I'll repost. :)

Also, I checked my windscreen and I do have some rubber seals down the side that seemed to be missing on yours.

Dades, you are a legend! We are going to get on top of that first thing tomorrow.

Nice chatting to you today. Not long after you left the seller of the 924 came over and we chatted about this and that. He was interested in the same link too so I’ll send it on to him tomorrow

@LIGHTNING, thanks! I will take you up on that offer. Everyday something new crops up on the car..it’s great to be able to chat away with other 924 owners about everything and anything!

For a relative novice who’s looking to do a lot of my own work how easy do you reckon it would be to fix a sticky brake caliper? Is there a refurb kit you can get or would it be better or earlier to get a new / refurbed caliper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

You would have to take it apart and inspect the bores.
    Light marks car be cleaned with sandpaper.
    I think there Audi 100 calipers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

There's also a possibility of the flexi line degrading internally and not allowing the brake fluid to return. Have a look at the pads and hardware too - are the pads free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

There's also a possibility of the flexi line degrading internally and not allowing the brake fluid to return. Have a look at the pads and hardware too - are the pads free?
    Yes. Forgot that.

If you release the flexi line and pads release. That's your problem.

I’ll be taking a look at everything this weekend so thanks for the tips.

There are loads of 924/44s on Donedeal lately.

How are you getting on with yours Duke?

Harcrid wrote: »
    How are you getting on with yours Duke?

My father is driving it everyday and loves every minute of it. No major hiccups really, he is in and out of Dublin City most days and its fine in traffic etc. In the beginning we had a bit of a hot start scare but it seems to have sorted itself (and with help from Dades) and it starts first tip now with the occasional need for a bit of coaxing..

Like all old cars there are a few niggles, the fuel gauge wasn't working, there was a small leak in the sunroof and the interior door handle came off in my hand, but there were all easily sorted.

Most recently there seems to be a minor blow coming from the exhaust somewhere, which is surprising as the entire system is brand new. It must be at a join somewhere.

He is away in Rome at the minute with my mother so I've had the chance to enjoy a few nice days in it:

48366097302_7525b63db2_c.jpg

Overall, the ownership experience (for my father, and for me) has been 10/10.

I'm on family hols at the moment and my kids asked me today was I missing my car!

They know me well. :o

That and my cat!

Rear hatch seal (if that's the issue) isn't too expensive...?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1933/Rear-Tailgate-Seal-Porsche-924---944---968-94451204300/

Have you tried a smoke machine inside the car to find a leak (Edd China job). :)

Are we talking about actual exhaust fumes here, or the smell of petrol?

Loads of 924 cabins smell of petrol after topping up the tank. Mine does that.
    I believe it was a "feature" to let you know you had about 200 miles until the next refuel. :p

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/porsche-924-mint-condition/22641981?campaign=3

MWE5YzljOTZjZWEwNjc2MTQyMDlhNzczMWNlMzg0Nma7sSH3y_3S59IY-U3AIgSuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzAxMDU1NzF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Thoughts on the price of this 924?

Seems a well sorted example

• Advertisement

Seems a well sorted example
    It does! But it's got no NCT.

If it's mint... why? You'd have people beating your door down with a fresh cert.

And cartell says it's 1984 and LHD. :confused:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1981-porsche-924-2-0-low-milage-/22841374

ZTQ5YWUxZTA4YTE1ZTRmYzlhMWFkYzgwNjk3MDE1MjhADg0aIxlBmp-HPPD62UmGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE1MzczODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Another seemingly well sorted 924 gone up today.

I like the colour, but the side stripe seems a bit too high. And the interior is a bit...brown

Could be a nice buy though

Looks very smart in the pics. Mine would look very shabby beside that!

The interior is quite brown, alright, though it's the custard bits I'd have an issue with. Not bad looking though. The extras like Porsche door cards and handles are cool.

No NCT of course, because who'd ever sell a car with an NCT!
    I think if you're looking for top money in 924 (NA) terms, one should come with it.

I imported that one in 2013 (ish). Looks a lot better now.

I have started to get a clunking from the rear in mine when letting clutch pedal up to move off. It can be heard sometimes when going on and off throttle too and during other gear changes. If I rock the car back and forward by using the clutch bite point, i can hear if clunking each time the car strains to move. Driveshafts seem to be solid with no play. I know a worn clutch can give this kind of noise but I would expect to hear the noise from the front if that was the case? Any ideas?

Harcrid wrote: »
    I have started to get a clunking from the rear in mine when letting clutch pedal up to move off. It can be heard sometimes when going on and off throttle too and during other gear changes. If I rock the car back and forward by using the clutch bite point, i can hear if clunking each time the car strains to move. Driveshafts seem to be solid with no play. I know a worn clutch can give this kind of noise but I would expect to hear the noise from the front if that was the case? Any ideas?

Correction - Gearbox mounts. Mine did this too.

Cheers Kenny. I’ll take a look!

Dades wrote: »
    Looks very smart in the pics. Mine would look very shabby beside that!

The interior is quite brown, alright, though it's the custard bits I'd have an issue with. Not bad looking though. The extras like Porsche door cards and handles are cool.

No NCT of course, because who'd ever sell a car with an NCT!
    I think if you're looking for top money in 924 (NA) terms, one should come with it.

I think the worst thing about the interior is how artificial the leather* looks. But overall it seems a very nice example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are the 2.5l "Porsche engined" cars much better?

p.s. I drove a series 1 924 Turbo around a very wet Silverstone once. Very entertaining.

Advertisement